aberdeen-music

The Hip Hop Thread

Lemonade

The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better.

Debut of guy that was in-house writer for N.W.A., wrote most 'The Chronic' and '2001', taught Snoop Dogg phrasing AND how to polish up his skills before recording.

The D.O.C. - The Grand Finale.

Last song on 'No One Can Do It Better', and features all of N.W.A. It's brilliant because it's like they're all competing to see who has the best verse (It's between Ice Cube and The D.O.C. for me!).

'Parental Discretion Iz Advised' on 'Straught Outta Compton' also features him and other members in a track that has much of the magic that 'The Grand Finale' has. People also tend to forget, partly because of his 'hardcore' persona, how fresh - as they say it - MC Ren's solo contribution to that same album is:

N.W.A. - If It Ain't Ruff

Thought I'd make a distinction here:

Was told a long-time ago there was a difference between 'hip-hop' and 'rap'. One, and I can't remember which, was meant to be that 'gangsta shite' you hear on television nowadays; and the other was 'proper stuff, like Run-DMC'.

I'm more inclined to believe, I think KRS-1 says this on one of his albums, that 'hip-hop is the culture, and rap is the art-form/musical aspect of the culture'.

These are important questions.

'Hip hop is a form of musical expression and artistic culture that originated in African-American and Latino communities during the 1970s in New York City, specifically the Bronx. DJ Afrika Bambaataa outlined the four pillars of hip hop culture: MCing, DJing, breaking and graffiti writing. Other elements include beatboxing.'

Wikipedia.org isn't infallible, but there you go.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

he's right though.

eg. breakdancing is a form of hip hop culture. breakdancing isn't rapping.

rap is a form of hip hop, hip hop doesnt necessarily involve rap.

dunno if this has been posted or not, some of you might be interested.

284584_10150400645132598_251477857597_10564973_2322312_n.jpg

facebook event

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196077083781433

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Can't make it. Is there a semi-regular club night in Aberdeen that actually plays decent hip-hop? I was in Bar 99 a while ago and the DJ was spinning some classic 1990's New York stuff, but I've not come across anything like that since.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Can't make it. Is there a semi-regular club night in Aberdeen that actually plays decent hip-hop? I was in Bar 99 a while ago and the DJ was spinning some classic 1990's New York stuff, but I've not come across anything like that since.

yeah, you should be able to keep up to date with the nights by keeping an eye on this group...

Guest Giles Walker
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

That dj was me, thanks.

I play there every weekend now, although i mix it up between Hip Hop, 70s/80s r&b, funk/disco breaks and various other bits and bobs.

Marty and Bell are the other two residents and they spin a fair bit of hip hop as well sometimes.

If anyone is in Edinburgh this weekend i am djing at a big B Boy comp in town, i just got back into doing the B Boy djing again and it has slightly blown my mind how well connected and tight the scene appears to be across europe.

Thought I'd make a distinction here:

Was told a long-time ago there was a difference between 'hip-hop' and 'rap'. One, and I can't remember which, was meant to be that 'gangsta shite' you hear on television nowadays; and the other was 'proper stuff, like Run-DMC'.

I'm more inclined to believe, I think KRS-1 says this on one of his albums, that 'hip-hop is the culture, and rap is the art-form/musical aspect of the culture'.

Well I'm glad we know what's going on now.

Man, you just fucking love to over-analyse everything, eh?

Short of telling people that it's a minor pet-hate of mine when people try to talk about them as if they're two different sub-genres within the same kind of music, I thought I'd put it in there. After all, it was something that confused me for a long time, mostly because I couldn't reason logically as to which one would be which.

Was the 'Golden Age' called 'rap' music because that's what it was all about at the time, purely the art of 'rapping' and little of the superficial bullshit that developed much later; or was it 'hip-hop' because in name it's an apt reference to body-popping etc, locking in with the beat of the music and REALLY getting a feel for the rhythm of the drums and all that?

Short of telling people that it's a minor pet-hate of mine when people try to talk about them as if they're two different sub-genres within the same kind of music, I thought I'd put it in there. After all, it was something that confused me for a long time, mostly because I couldn't reason logically as to which one would be which.

Was the 'Golden Age' called 'rap' music because that's what it was all about at the time, purely the art of 'rapping' and little of the superficial bullshit that developed much later; or was it 'hip-hop' because in name it's an apt reference to body-popping etc, locking in with the beat of the music and REALLY getting a feel for the rhythm of the drums and all that?

2969.jpg?w=300&h=300

Guest Giles Walker

In short, Hip Hop is (according to peeps like Kool Herc, Bam, Flash etc) broken into four elements:

Rap, Djing, Graffiti and B Boying.

Obviously this isn't relevant today as so much has changed since Flash was regularly cutting up doubles of Boz Scaggs singles in a park, while Cowboy said "yes yes y'all, this is a suuuuuuuuuuuuure shot" through an echo box.

As much as i would love it if we could still hold onto the old values, the best selling hip hop singles of the moment are still gonna be vocalling shitty, autotuned, euro trance beats and not many folks are gonna care that much about graffito, scratching or headspins really.

So let's all just get down to Kreayshawn and forget about it, shall we?

And we stunting like

Gucci Gucci, Louis Louis, Fendi Fendi, Prada

That dj was me, thanks.

I play there every weekend now, although i mix it up between Hip Hop, 70s/80s r&b, funk/disco breaks and various other bits and bobs.

Marty and Bell are the other two residents and they spin a fair bit of hip hop as well sometimes.

If anyone is in Edinburgh this weekend i am djing at a big B Boy comp in town, i just got back into doing the B Boy djing again and it has slightly blown my mind how well connected and tight the scene appears to be across europe.

I didn't realise you were the DJ in 99. You sir are a mighty fine DJ, I do to try to pop in there if I'm out of a weekend, purely because the music is always good, way better than most of the wanky bars in town.

Guest Giles Walker
I didn't realise you were the DJ in 99. You sir are a mighty fine DJ, I do to try to pop in there if I'm out of a weekend, purely because the music is always good, way better than most of the wanky bars in town.

Oh, cheers man.

Next time you're in you should come over and say wuddup.

• 2 weeks later...