aberdeen-music

White Stripes split

Guest Gladstone
Shame, I really liked them. Consistently great band IMO, and one that I always hoped would tour again because I've never seen them live. :down:

Same. I was almost inconsolable when I arrived at T in the Park to find out they'd pulled out to be replaced by the fucking Flaming Lips who were shite.

Disappointed I'll never get to see the White Stripes live. Really disappointed.

Like 'em or not, they were interesting, raw, and one of the only contemporary proponents of RnR mythology, as opposed to the triangulating careerist fucks that scurried in their wake, and prosper yet.

I don't have to be that big a fan to recognise that they were viscerally thrilling in the way that rock n roll should be, I'm glad they existed.

Like 'em or not, they were interesting, raw, and one of the only contemporary proponents of RnR mythology, as opposed to the triangulating careerist fucks that scurried in their wake, and prosper yet.

I don't have to be that big a fan to recognise that they were viscerally thrilling in the way that rock n roll should be, I'm glad they existed.

This sums up my view. Can't claim to be a massive fan, but songs like "Blue Orchid" and "Seven Nation Army" weren't all over the place for no reason.

I didn't like White Stripes until I saw them. I spent their entire Leeds Fest set fighting my way to the front, as Weezer were on next. I decided I liked them whilst I shoved stinking hippies out of my way for 45 minutes.

Not that big on them on record though. Their albums have alot of guff on them. I have an iPod playlist with all the White Stripes songs I like. That'll do.

I didn't like White Stripes until I saw them. I spent their entire Leeds Fest set fighting my way to the front, as Weezer were on next. I decided I liked them whilst I shoved stinking hippies out of my way for 45 minutes.

Not that big on them on record though. Their albums have alot of guff on them. I have an iPod playlist with all the White Stripes songs I like. That'll do.

That was Leeds 2002, ja?

Saturday

* The Strokes

* Pulp

* Jane's Addiction

* Weezer

* The White Stripes

* The Dandy Warhols

* Mercury Rev

* The Soundtrack of Our Lives

* The Moldy Peaches

I was at that, and I can't remember watching any of those bands, except the fucking Dandy Warhols. And you know how much I love Weezer. I mean I LOVE WEEZER. I can't imagine why I wouldn't go to see them. I literally have no idea what I did that day.

That's the one. I was dragged there by my ex, as the Radio 1 tent was a pop punk fest, with the likes of Finch and New Found Glory playing. It was a turning point in my musical tastes though. I saw Guided By Voices purely by accident, and it changed everything.

The Weezer set was amazing that day. A greatest hits set, and it was before any of the guff albums.

At reading '03 I chose to see the Mars Volta instead of Beck.

I think I even pretended after that I'd enjoyed their 30 minute set of 1 song and lots of poncing around. What a twat.

I often consider going to festivals but decide against it as there just isn't quite enough acts I like playing to make it worthwhile. Then a few months later some of the bands I hadn't heard of are huge favourites of mine and I would have paid the money just to see them. It sucks.

That was the Rivers in full on beard mode year, n'est pas?

That whole weekend was amazing. The rain during Soundtrack of Our Lives was summat else, heaviest festival rain I've ever witnessed. I didn't see Jane's Addiction because I had no idea who they were but I remember being in the Comedy Tent while they were playing. A worthwhile trade, I'd say.

Didn't see The White Stripes that year although I did in 2005 when they headlined one of the days. That was pretty good.

The White Stripes were about the only remaining genuinely massive band in the world who were worthy. They didn't dilute their songs to just feature giant sing-alongs a la Snow Patrol, they didn't over-produce to the point of unlistenability like Muse, and they didn't disappear up their own arses in U2 style.

A proper band. Fucking ace. RIP The White Stripes.

Hopefully this means that The Raconteurs will start being good again.

The White Stripes were about the only remaining genuinely massive band in the world who were worthy. They didn't dilute their songs to just feature giant sing-alongs a la Snow Patrol, they didn't over-produce to the point of unlistenability like Muse, and they didn't disappear up their own arses in U2 style.

A proper band. Fucking ace. RIP The White Stripes.

Hopefully this means that The Raconteurs will start being good again.

Spot on Christy. Except the bit about The Raconteurs being good.

"DOG EAT DOG, what we got to say: we can kick this jam in the old school way. So rock your body baby, roll your mind"

meg stripe for president.

No fronts! No tricks! No soap box politics!