aberdeen-music

HMV to close?

Lemonade

Quite possibly, as they are closing down 60 stores, and a bunch of Waterstones too.

BBC News - HMV to close 60 stores as sales and shares slump

Will be sad to see either of them go, I used to shop in both of them reguarly, but they just can't compete with the likes of Amazon, Play.com etc when it comes to prices, not to mention Asda and Tesco undercutting them on everything. Although I prefer shopping on the High Street, I buy almost all my music, films, games and books online now.

Quite possibly, as they are closing down 60 stores, and a bunch of Waterstones too.

Will be sad to see either of them go, I used to shop in both of them reguarly, but they just can't compete with the likes of Amazon, Play.com etc when it comes to prices. Although I prefer shopping in the High Street, I buy almost all my music, films, games and books online now.

I'd be very surprised if they kept both Waterstones on Union Street.

Guest Gladstone

Will be sad to see either of them go, I used to shop in both of them reguarly, but they just can't compete with the likes of Amazon, Play.com etc when it comes to prices. Although I prefer shopping in the High Street, I buy almost all my music, films, games and books online now.

Heard this on the radio this morning and I think the Aberdeen HMV store will go. I was in looking for a DVD during the Christmas shopping period and there really weren't many customers in. I remember the days when you couldn't get moved in HMV at that time of year. I must have been one of about 10 customers upstairs when I was in. I did used to do a lot of shopping in HMV but I'm hardly ever there now - I try to buy any CDs from One-Up, but am downloading more than I ever used to.

I would never say "I'm happy HMV is closing" because quite a number of people would lose their jobs, and that ain't good, but I think it could be a potential boost for One Up.

I'd be sad to see the back of Waterstones to be honest, I nip in there whenever I'm looking for a new book. I guess WH Smith is just up the road. Are there any good independent local book stores? I should probably go there rather than shop in the chainstores...

I don't think it'll make the slightest bit of difference to One Up.

The thing that's killing One Up isn't competing stores on Union Street, it's competing stores on the internet.

Can't really deny that losing a high-street competitor is bad for One Up, though, really.

That said I'll be quite sad to see HMV go, even if I'm only there to rake through their rock/pop section.

Heard this on the radio this morning and I think the Aberdeen HMV store will go. I was in looking for a DVD during the Christmas shopping period and there really weren't many customers in. I remember the days when you couldn't get moved in HMV at that time of year. I must have been one of about 10 customers upstairs when I was in. I did used to do a lot of shopping in HMV but I'm hardly ever there now - I try to buy any CDs from One-Up, but am downloading more than I ever used to.

I would never say "I'm happy HMV is closing" because quite a number of people would lose their jobs, and that ain't good, but I think it could be a potential boost for One Up.

I'd be sad to see the back of Waterstones to be honest, I nip in there whenever I'm looking for a new book. I guess WH Smith is just up the road. Are there any good independent local book stores? I should probably go there rather than shop in the chainstores...

The DVD bit in HMV has been pretty piss for a while now. They never seem to stock any of the stuff I'm looking for, I buy a lot of box sets and in the past year I've been let down while looking for any of the Buffy box sets, several X-Files box sets and early seasons of Frasier. Plus they don't stock Groundhog Day or Jaws! Criminal!

Can't really deny that losing a high-street competitor is bad for One Up, though, really.

If HMV closes then it just means more people will buy CDs, DVDs and games from Tescos or from HMV online. They're not going to start shopping in One Up if they weren't doing so already.

I always go to Oxfam Book Shop on Back Wynd. I'm usually a couple of years behind on my reading list so can eventually pick up most things I want there as well having a good rummage.

Not independent but all for the greater good.

a) Turn HMV into coffee shop (probably with beer)

b) Have those 'listening posts' as actual computers at every table (this also means loners won't feel like loners going in alone)

c) Allow people to purchase music online - download directly to their mp3 player of choice for InstantListening, while the physical CD is posted to their house

d) Profit

a) Turn HMV into coffee shop (probably with beer)

b) Have those 'listening posts' as actual computers at every table (this also means loners won't feel like loners going in alone)

c) Allow people to purchase music online - download directly to their mp3 player of choice for InstantListening, while the physical CD is posted to their house

d) Profit

Not gonna lie, that sounds AWESOME.

If I ever win the lottery...

3 words... Closing Down Sale!

Aside from the fact people will lose their jobs, I couldn't care less. It's been a waste of prime retail real estate for quite a while now. Does make you wonder what the future holds for high street shopping because it was THE shop when I was younger. I suppose clothing stores will always be around seeing as you can't try something on over the net, but apart from that you can get everything cheaper online.

HMV spunked away shitloads of cash when they moved from the old shop to their current shop. They still had 4 years left on that lease when they moved, and they couldn't get out of it, so they paid rent on a empty shop for four years. Not really relevantm but hey.

I've known a few folk who worked at HMV and they've all complained about how badly they were treated.

I'll buy the odd dvd or cd from there when I'm in town. I try to support 1UP but when push comes to shove and I'm in town with little money I go to HMV. I often buy stuff from Waterstones too. And I go online. I'll be sad to see it go. Unless a FOPP magically appears somewhere. That would be pretty decent.

Guest Gladstone
I'll buy the odd dvd or cd from there when I'm in town. I try to support 1UP but when push comes to shove and I'm in town with little money I go to HMV. I often buy stuff from Waterstones too. And I go online. I'll be sad to see it go. Unless a FOPP magically appears somewhere. That would be pretty decent.

I used to love FOPP until it moved to Union Street, and increased all its prices, and swiftly went tits up.

I'd much rather give my money to One Up than FOPP anyway.

HMV spunked away shitloads of cash when they moved from the old shop to their current shop. They still had 4 years left on that lease when they moved, and they couldn't get out of it, so they paid rent on a empty shop for four years. Not really relevantm but hey.

I've known a few folk who worked at HMV and they've all complained about how badly they were treated.

Was too far up for a lot of lardy arsed shoppers I guess.

Guest Gladstone
There's a Fopp in Edinburgh which is still ace.

Oh aye - the FOPP in Edinburgh is good, but if FOPP came back to Aberdeen I'd continue to buy my CDs in One Up.