aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I hope Bale is ok after the Charlie Adam tackle. The angle and force made it look like it could well be an ankle breaker and if that's the case, he'll probably never be the same player again. A broken ankle usually causes a lot of ligament damage and he might not be back this year. If you think of players who have had the same injury (Dean Ashton, Alan Smith, Milan Baros Eduardo broke his ankle when his leg was broken I think?) the omens aren't good.

Gomes. What a clown. A bad one at that, at least when they juggle they catch the ball at the end. That's 3 shocking errors in the past couple of months and combined with his long history of them how can they possibly keep him as first choice keeper?

I hope Bale is ok after the Charlie Adam tackle. The angle and force made it look like it could well be an ankle breaker and if that's the case, he'll probably never be the same player again. A broken ankle usually causes a lot of ligament damage and he might not be back this year. If you think of players who have had the same injury (Dean Ashton, Alan Smith, Milan Baros Eduardo broke his ankle when his leg was broken I think?) the omens aren't good.

Gomes. What a clown. A bad one at that, at least when they juggle they catch the ball at the end. That's 3 shocking errors in the past couple of months and combined with his long history of them how can they possibly keep him as first choice keeper?

Bale should be fine as long as he rehabs well. Look at Ramsey he had one of the worst breaks your ever going to see and he's finally back and looks just as good.

Terrible tackle from Adam though and a terrible miss by the ref. Should have been a red he got nowhere near the call and just halfed him.

Antonio Valencia's ankle break was horrific aswell. Looked broken completely in half. After it happened, there was alot of worry he would lose the explosive acceleration that makes him so good, but he's come back as good as ever. Hope Bale has a similar recovery. Infact I hope Bale's is nowhere near as bad.

Charlie Adam is a shit. Pleading to leave for Liverpool or Spurs in January, then he's grabbing and pointing to the Blackpool badge on his shirt when he scores. The foul on Bale was a shocker as well. I hope Blackpool gets relegated and Blackpool refuse to sell him.

On a brighter note, Shola is a smart penalty taker. On a more disappointing note, Zenden didn't dance when he scored today. What's the point?

Bale should be fine as long as he rehabs well. Look at Ramsey he had one of the worst breaks your ever going to see and he's finally back and looks just as good.

Terrible tackle from Adam though and a terrible miss by the ref. Should have been a red he got nowhere near the call and just halfed him.

Totally different injury from both a football and medical perspective. If he's done what I think, he'll have torn all the ankle ligaments, and ligaments never heal properly. That's not really an issue with a leg break, as the damage is mostly soft tissue and muscle.

I'll need to see the tackle again as I can't remember but surgery to repair lateral tears doesn't restore 'normal' function. An orthopaedic surgeon even told me in America that it's difficult to find people willing to do ankle surgery, as they constantly get sued as people always expect to be back to where they were before.

Again this totally depends on the location and extent of an injury, but IMO for a footballer, long term it is worse than a leg break or knee ligament tear. Of course I'm talking about 'normal' people though and footballers will no doubt get the best surgeons and treatment money can buy!

Antonio Valencia's ankle break was horrific aswell. Looked broken completely in half. After it happened, there was alot of worry he would lose the explosive acceleration that makes him so good, but he's come back as good as ever. Hope Bale has a similar recovery. Infact I hope Bale's is nowhere near as bad.

He came back incredibly quickly from his injury. Again everyone's different and return from injury is dependent on a huge number of variables. I hope Bale hasn't done any lasting damage though and will be back for the start of next season

Yeah, I don't know much about the specifics. Just remember seeing it on the telly, and his foot was pointing in the other direction. Looked smashed in half. Any sort of lower body break seems to initiate the worry that a player will lose their pace, especially since this time it was a player who relies so heavily on pace, as his number 1 asset. Good for him coming back as good as ever though, and so quickly too.

I think I understand referees a bit more more after reading this

Ex ref Jeff Winter on penalties:

" If you are not sure you have your assistants. If a ref has any doubt over a penalty you don't give it. The old adage is 'If in doubt give nowt.' The one thing you can't do is guess."

Ex-ref Jeff Winter on backchat:

"Players can be their own worst enemies. If you have a player screaming and bawling at you all the time and then they go down in the penalty area in the last minute - you are not totally sure, but subconsciously, are you going to give it?"

Of course not Jeff, in your own words 'If in doubt give nowt.

"Whereas if you have a player who has been chatty, friendly and given you no bother and he goes down, does he get the penalty? That to me is not cheating, it's possibly an element of human nature. Players who rant and rave could be doing themselves more of a disservice than those who get on and play the game fairly."

C'mon Jeff. Of course we wouldn't give it, in your own words 'If in doubt give nowt.'. Ah, but you're saying sometimes you would, and it's not cheating. Maybe it's not cheating but it's hardly consistent is it?

I wish United had played Chelsea at the Bridge when they were supposed to, but it got postponed due to the ice. Chelsea were shit then. Lampard was injured, and nobody had even heard of David Luiz. Drogba looked sulkier than his Incredible Sulk counterpart Nicolas Anelka. Chelsea were good again by the time it was rescheduled. FIX!

I think I understand referees a bit more more after reading this

Ex ref Jeff Winter on penalties:

" If you are not sure you have your assistants. If a ref has any doubt over a penalty you don't give it. The old adage is 'If in doubt give nowt.' The one thing you can't do is guess."

Ex-ref Jeff Winter on backchat:

"Players can be their own worst enemies. If you have a player screaming and bawling at you all the time and then they go down in the penalty area in the last minute - you are not totally sure, but subconsciously, are you going to give it?"

Of course not Jeff, in your own words 'If in doubt give nowt.

"Whereas if you have a player who has been chatty, friendly and given you no bother and he goes down, does he get the penalty? That to me is not cheating, it's possibly an element of human nature. Players who rant and rave could be doing themselves more of a disservice than those who get on and play the game fairly."

C'mon Jeff. Of course we wouldn't give it, in your own words 'If in doubt give nowt.'. Ah, but you're saying sometimes you would, and it's not cheating. Maybe it's not cheating but it's hardly consistent is it?

Jeff Winter is a media hooooooor and those comments are somewhat wide of the mark imo. I get what he is saying, that unconsciously, a human might be disinclined to give a fair go to someone who has not given them a fair go, but on the fitba pitch obviously this cannot be allowed to happen. I think that he is trying to make the point that it is, if not counter-productive, then at least pointless to harnague the referee all game long. However, his wording is all out of goose.

I would be absolutely amazed if a top-level official (albeit now retired) could believe that it is acceptable to favour certain players because they are nicer. If that were the case, we would see fewer situations of players surrounding the ref and getting all up in his grille, and more gentlemanly chats.

Strange comments fo sho, but almost certainly an innocent sentiment poorly communicated (or at least not a stance shared by most officials).

If Chelsea win today United will draw against Blackburn next week.

United fucked up there last season and don't have a great record at Ewood park.

If Chelsea only need a win to beat Everton they'll get it.

Although unfortunately I think they wont win today and all this speculation will be pointless.

Cracking performance from Wolves today. Not a bad time to get yourself out of the relegation zone. (assuming they don't throw away the lead that is)

Blackburn aren't as resilient defensively as they were last season though. There's no Big Sam, the defensive guru, to guide them. They've conceded alot and are in a spot of bother. They've got United at home and Wolves away remaining. They could very realistically go down, as Wolves are excellent at home.

United fucked up at Ewood Park last season, but it was during their "oh no, what do we do without Wayne Rooney" phase whilst he injured.

Squeaky bums!