aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Cracking game between Arsenal and Birmingham, thought Birmingham were good value for the win. Nice bit of comedic defending at the back by the gooners. Birmingham still in some relegation danger though, I don't think anyone has won a cup and gone down in the same season! Think they should be fine though.

I think Birmingham were worth their win but some typical classless behaviour following the second goal from usual suspects. Bowyer shoving Kocielney's head down as he ran past was unnecassary and the ever classy Barry Ferguson was blowing kisses to the Arsenal fans. What a cunt.

http://i.imgur.com/CE4T7.gif

I remember seeing that happen and wondering what the fuck happened. Surely if Bowyer intentionally shoved Koncielny's face into the ground the guy would have responded. Either way, Bowyer is a cunt.

This time of the season is great, there's good games every week. Hopefully Chelsea can make the title race interesting by getting something on Tuesday.

I kind of expect Arsenal to completely collapse no anyway so United will take it whatever happens.

I think Arsenal might collapse as well. They should get right royally cunted against Barca then even if they beat Orient in the cup they have to negotiate a tricky tie at Old Trafford. Wenger's job is safe though but it must be a worry for him, that his young studs cannot win a trophy even when it's handed to them on a plate. I'm annoyed though, those odds of 11/2 on a Birmingham win looked pretty tasty.

And fair play to the BBC's mr dull Alan Shearer for predicting a Birmingham victory!

I think Arsenal might collapse as well. They should get right royally cunted against Barca then even if they beat Orient in the cup they have to negotiate a tricky tie at Old Trafford. Wenger's job is safe though but it must be a worry for him, that his young studs cannot win a trophy even when it's handed to them on a plate. I'm annoyed though, those odds of 11/2 on a Birmingham win looked pretty tasty.

And fair play to the BBC's mr dull Alan Shearer for predicting a Birmingham victory!

Incredibly disrespectful to Birmingham. They may be performing poorly in the league and ranked as underdogs in the final, but they were the better team on the day. Birmingham played some really good football and stuck to their game plan, well worthy of the victory.

Hopefully the cup win will give Birmingham the confidence to go on a wee run in the EPL and climb up the league to ensure their safety. It's unbelievable how tight it is this year, only 10 points seperate the team in 7th from the team in 20th! Any of the teams from the bottom ten could easily go down if they hit a dip in form. I could see a big shock happening this year, one of the big guns like an Everton or an Aston Villa getting sucked into the bottom three. Mostly likely it'll be the usual candidates though, Wolves and West Brom, and probably Wigan or West Ham. It's not a good season to support a team that starts with "W".

Incredibly disrespectful to Birmingham. They may be performing poorly in the league and ranked as underdogs in the final, but they were the better team on the day. Birmingham played some really good football and stuck to their game plan, well worthy of the victory.

Don't think Del meant it in that way. No one should deny Birmingham did very well and deserved to take the cup home. However with such a difference in playing quality between the two teams it was Arsenals to lose. No matter how well Birmingham would play they needed Arsenal to be below their best which they were.

I certainly didn't mean to be disrespectful towards Birmingham, sorry if it came across that way. Quite the opposite, I felt they were worthy of the win and deserve their success. The bookies were being a bit disrespectful offering such long odds on a two horse race. Of course on paper Arsenal have the better team and you'd expect them to be favourites but football is never played on paper. I don't even think Arsenal were that poor on the day (apart from the calamatous mix up for the Birmingham winner) but were simply beaten by the better team.

That is a fair point and I think the tone of my post seemed harsher than I intended. It's just I had been speaking to various people who said Birmingham only won because Arsenal played poorly and it was annoying me. That was certainly a contributing factor, but it sort of belittles the effort Birmingham put in. Great game to watch as a neutral and it was nice to see an 'unfashionable' team win, as well as Alex claim his first English trophy.

That's the great thing about cup finals. Any team can win it on their day, regardless of league position, big name players or whatever.

No worries, people are bound to say Arsenal played poorly as an excuse for the defeat but I think more credit must be given to Birmingham for taking the game to Arsenal. As I say I don't think Arsenal played that badly (of course we've seen them play better). I was impressed with the teamwork and determination Birmingham put in. Their fans were fantastic as well, really created a good atmosphere and the players rose to the occasion splendidly.

I think they'll be ok in the premier league and they can look forward to a European adventure next season! It was lovely to see a decent cup final match as well not the usual snoozeathon as finals so often are these days.

• Upvote 1

Wilshere is a great player, complete cunt though. Hopefully he can grow out of that with age, but I doubt it. His face at the end was probably the best part about the whole day.

Arsenal didn't play badly just not as well as they can.

Best cup final there's been in England in a while. Probably the best there's been at the new Wembley.

I think Birmingham were worth their win but some typical classless behaviour following the second goal from usual suspects. Bowyer shoving Kocielney's head down as he ran past was unnecassary and the ever classy Barry Ferguson was blowing kisses to the Arsenal fans. What a cunt.

http://i.imgur.com/CE4T7.gif

Was it definitely Bowyer who did that? Looked like number 23. Chuffed for the Brummies anyway, it was a cracking game and they were worth the win.

Haven't heard the Ibrox disaster song in a decade, minimum. Haven't heard the Durrant song (which, frankly, doesn't compare) in six or seven years. If you are arguing that Aberdeen fans are on a par with Rangers' when it comes to singing scummy songs then you are showing yourself up to be ignorant. Simply, it is not true on any level.

I go to Pittodrie for most home games and attend occasional away ones. This far outnumbers the amount of times that I have seen Rangers in the flesh or on TV. And yet, I could count on the fingers of one hand how often I have heard a rousing rendition of the Ibrox Disaster song or anything similarly tasteless. When it comes to Rangers, it would be more appropriate to try and count the occasions when I haven't heard something offensive/tasteless/apparently banned by the SFA. These songs can be heard at every single one of their televised matches. Every single one.

While I'm ranting, I wish to shift some of the focus to 'newspapers' such as The Sun and The Daily Record. These worthless publications perpetuate the myth that Aberdeen fans are knuckle-dragging neanderthals who beat the fuck out of all opposing fans (maybe 20+years ago, not the case today) and that we still sing these tasteless ditties. We don't, and have not done so for a decade plus. They invent occasions of shocking behaviour on the part of Dons fans that are completely impossible to disprove. I imagine the conversation with their editor goes something like this:

Iain Orr/Scott Davie: Fans were heard singing about Ian Durrant and about the Ibrox disaster

Editor: Really? Well none of the other reports have made mention of it. Are you sure?

Iain Orr/Scott Davie: Yes, I heard it myself.

Editor: Good enough for me. Write it up!

Football fans of other teams such as Alkaline will then read about such behaviour and think 'O look, Dons fans being cunts yet again! The Daily Record/The Sun/the West-coast media is doing sterling work, showing these Dons fans up as the scumbags that they are!'. The truth doesn't matter when a good dig can be had.

Anybody who scratches beneath the surface can see beyond a shadow of doubt that attempts are made right throughout the Scottish media to cover up/divert attention away from the behaviour of Rangers fans. They are a constant embarrassment to our country when they compete in Europe. The bosses at their club grumble interminably in the press about how they are too big for Scotland, how they should be playing in England, how the SFA/SPL 'owe them one' for failing to extend the season for them three seasons back (conveniently ignoring the fact that the league was indeed extended to accommodate them, just not by as long as they had wanted).

Their fans and their bosses continually bring this country into disrepute with their behaviour in Europe (o sorry I forgot, those were Chelsea fans in Manchester. Of course.) and their constant undermining of the standard of Scottish football in the press. They moan about lack of competition and yet will not divvy up the TV revenue in a more balanced way to create healthier competition. Along with their ugly sisters from Celtic, the two clubs who celebrate that their roots are not in Scotland and spend their time telling the press that they want to leave Scotland are the two clubs who heap shame on this country with their unseemly behaviour. Celtic fans, at least, seem capable of not acting like total neanderthals as soon as they get a road trip. Not that they aren't fucking arseholes in countless other ways.

In short, Glasgow Rangers FC, its fans and its bosses, bring nothing but shame onto our league and our country. The west-coast media not only are complicit in their refusal to report the instances of their loutish behaviour (I'm trying to put it as nicely as possible), they actually positively attempt to shift the focus by conjuring up imaginary occasions of Dons fans singing unseemly songs. I was at the last Aberdeen-Rangers match (the one in which the Ibrox disaster song was reportedly heard by the Daily Record's reporter). it wasn't sung. If it was, it could have been sung by no more than one solitary individual who was clearly drowned out. And yet, the Daily Record saw fit to report it, conveniently ignoring the 90 minutes of Follow Follow (not the sanitised version btw) and other such offensive songs coming from across the fence.

• Upvote 4

Haven't heard the Ibrox disaster song in a decade, minimum. Haven't heard the Durrant song (which, frankly, doesn't compare) in six or seven years. If you are arguing that Aberdeen fans are on a par with Rangers' when it comes to singing scummy songs then you are showing yourself up to be ignorant. Simply, it is not true on any level.

I go to Pittodrie for most home games and attend occasional away ones. This far outnumbers the amount of times that I have seen Rangers in the flesh or on TV. And yet, I could count on the fingers of one hand how often I have heard a rousing rendition of the Ibrox Disaster song or anything similarly tasteless. When it comes to Rangers, it would be more appropriate to try and count the occasions when I haven't heard something offensive/tasteless/apparently banned by the SFA. These songs can be heard at every single one of their televised matches. Every single one.

While I'm ranting, I wish to shift some of the focus to 'newspapers' such as The Sun and The Daily Record. These worthless publications perpetuate the myth that Aberdeen fans are knuckle-dragging neanderthals who beat the fuck out of all opposing fans (maybe 20+years ago, not the case today) and that we still sing these tasteless ditties. We don't, and have not done so for a decade plus. They invent occasions of shocking behaviour on the part of Dons fans that are completely impossible to disprove. I imagine the conversation with their editor goes something like this:

Iain Orr/Scott Davie: Fans were heard singing about Ian Durrant and about the Ibrox disaster

Editor: Really? Well none of the other reports have made mention of it. Are you sure?

Iain Orr/Scott Davie: Yes, I heard it myself.

Editor: Good enough for me. Write it up!

Football fans of other teams such as Alkaline will then read about such behaviour and think 'O look, Dons fans being cunts yet again! The Daily Record/The Sun/the West-coast media is doing sterling work, showing these Dons fans up as the scumbags that they are!'. The truth doesn't matter when a good dig can be had.

Anybody who scratches beneath the surface can see beyond a shadow of doubt that attempts are made right throughout the Scottish media to cover up/divert attention away from the behaviour of Rangers fans. They are a constant embarrassment to our country when they compete in Europe. The bosses at their club grumble interminably in the press about how they are too big for Scotland, how they should be playing in England, how the SFA/SPL 'owe them one' for failing to extend the season for them three seasons back (conveniently ignoring the fact that the league was indeed extended to accommodate them, just not by as long as they had wanted).

Their fans and their bosses continually bring this country into disrepute with their behaviour in Europe (o sorry I forgot, those were Chelsea fans in Manchester. Of course.) and their constant undermining of the standard of Scottish football in the press. They moan about lack of competition and yet will not divvy up the TV revenue in a more balanced way to create healthier competition. Along with their ugly sisters from Celtic, the two clubs who celebrate that their roots are not in Scotland and spend their time telling the press that they want to leave Scotland are the two clubs who heap shame on this country with their unseemly behaviour. Celtic fans, at least, seem capable of not acting like total neanderthals as soon as they get a road trip. Not that they aren't fucking arseholes in countless other ways.

In short, Glasgow Rangers FC, its fans and its bosses, bring nothing but shame onto our league and our country. The west-coast media not only are complicit in their refusal to report the instances of their loutish behaviour (I'm trying to put it as nicely as possible), they actually positively attempt to shift the focus by conjuring up imaginary occasions of Dons fans singing unseemly songs. I was at the last Aberdeen-Rangers match (the one in which the Ibrox disaster song was reportedly heard by the Daily Record's reporter). it wasn't sung. If it was, it could have been sung by no more than one solitary individual who was clearly drowned out. And yet, the Daily Record saw fit to report it, conveniently ignoring the 90 minutes of Follow Follow (not the sanitised version btw) and other such offensive songs coming from across the fence.

For the record, i don't read any of those papers.

I see what you're saying in regard to a lot of that stuff but i find it hard to believe that if Aberdeen had a much larger fanbase the amount of Aberdeen supporting arseholes wouldn't also increase exponentially as well.

I think it's a little unfair to lump all Rangers fans in together (i understand the Aberdeen bias on here as most of the users of this website are Aberdeen fans). It is a little derogatory and a bit narrow-minded though.

Oh, and i've been to Pittodrie a number of times in the away end and the phrase "only sing when you're winning" comes to mind with you lot so it's no surprise that nobody can hear the Ibrox disaster songs above the travelling support ;)

This time of the season is great, there's good games every week. Hopefully Chelsea can make the title race interesting by getting something on Tuesday.

I kind of expect Arsenal to completely collapse no anyway so United will take it whatever happens.

I can't see Arsenal collapsing. They've been more consistent than they've been for years this term, and for once they appear to have a bit of depth to their squad. Their run in looks much more comfortable than United's too, who still have to play pretty much all the heavyweights away from home, and their away form is pitiful. United's midfield is awful too. Carrick is nowhere near the player he was 3/4 years ago.

I do think Chelsea will beat United at the Bridge. Because they always do.

I resent being lumped into the same category as Rangers fans who are bigoted, sectarian arseholes that act like a bunch of cretins at home and abroad. I've known and met some of these types, and coming from a family that is predominantly Rangers supporting I'm probably related to some. I love watching Rangers play and happily wear my shirt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start singing horrific songs about Tommy Burns or playing the sash on an invisible pipe. I don't condone the actions of people who do this, whether they are Rangers fans or not. I wholeheartedly condemn it in fact.

So I really wish people would quit tarring all Rangers fans with the same fucking brush.

• Upvote 1

I resent being lumped into the same category as Rangers fans who are bigoted, sectarian arseholes that act like a bunch of cretins at home and abroad. I've known and met some of these types, and coming from a family that is predominantly Rangers supporting I'm probably related to some. I love watching Rangers play and happily wear my shirt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start singing horrific songs about Tommy Burns or playing the sash on an invisible pipe. I don't condone the actions of people who do this, whether they are Rangers fans or not. I wholeheartedly condemn it in fact.

So I really wish people would quit tarring all Rangers fans with the same fucking brush.

I think the problem Rangers fans face is when they are caught singing something naughty at/during a game it's not just 10 - 15 numptys in the sea of people like it is for other teams (Aberdeen or whoever). It's a whole section of the stadium, a lot of the time a whole stand of people, I know there will be people in there not doing it and condemning it in fact. However when you bring more fans it also raises the proportion of people who are idiots and that makes more of the fans look worse.

In my opinion anyway.