aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

BBC Sport - Football - Roy Hodgson named new manager of West Brom

I was hoping Hughton would get it. I thought it would have been a good appointment for club and coach. He deserves a decent job too after being sacked without really any reason.

Interesting to see how Roy recovers from his scouse experience

Nice interview with Xavi in today's Guardian.

I'm a romantic says Xavi, heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain | Football | The Guardian

I think he comes across as a decent guy, if a little smug at times.

Some highlights for anyone that doesn't want to read it all.

Is Paul Scholes the English Xavi?

Xavi interrupts, almost bursting with enthusiasm] Paul Scholes! A role model. For me and I really mean this he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him

England seems to mistrust technical players.

It's a pity. Talent has to be the priority. Technical ability. Always, always. Sure, you can win without it but it's talent that makes the difference. Look at the teams: Juventus, who makes the difference? Krasic. Del Piero. Liverpool? Gerrard, or Torres before. Talento. Talento. When you look at players and ask yourself who's the best: talento. Cesc, Nasri, Ryan Giggs that guy is a joy, incredible. Looking back, I loved John Barnes and Chris Waddle was buensimo. [Open-mouthed, eyes gleaming] Le Tissier! Although their style was different I liked Roy Keane and Paul Ince together, too. That United team was great my English team. If I'd gone anywhere, it would have been there.

In England do we overrate physical players? You mention Carragher, Terry

Whoa! Wait! Be careful. They're fundamental. We've got Puyol. Technically he might not be the best but it's incredible the way he defends. Carragher and Terry are necessary, brilliant, but they have to adapt to technical football [not the other way round]. For me, that comes naturally or for Messi, Iniesta or Rooney. Others have to work at it. For them it's harder to lift their head up and play a pass but they have to.

Arsenal-Barcelona always provokes questions about Cesc Fbregas's future.

If I'd ever gone to another club, I'd have been thinking about Barcelona the link is strong. The same is happening to him. But now there's a problem: now he's expensive. But I think that a footballer ends up playing where he wants. He has to end up here.

That's not what Arsenal fans want to hear and some have accused Barcelona players, you included, of stirring trouble. Last summer there were so many remarks supposedly coming out of Barcelona

Really? I hardly spoke then. I imagine they wouldn't have liked that. [Xavi pauses, adding quietly, almost shamefacedly] You know, often footballers don't think. We're selfish, we don't realise. I also say it because I'm thinking of Cesc. He wants to come here. Barcelona has always been his dream. But of course he's Arsenal's captain, the standard bearer, a leader. This situation is a putada [bummer] for him. He's at a club that plays his style with Wenger who has treated him well, taught him, raised him. Cesc respects him. If he'd been at, say, Blackburn it might have been easier to leave. Look, the truth is: I want him to come here. Of course. Barcelona have a very clear style and not many footballers fit. It's not easy. But Cesc fits it perfectly.

Would he replace you, though?

I don't see new players as a threat; I don't say "this is my patch". I'm more: "bring them here, let them play". The more talent in the middle, the better. Four or five years ago [people said] me and Iniesta couldn't play together. We can't play together? Look how that one turned out.

It is a good interview. He always comes across very well when he speaks, better than most footballers, especially English players. There's still something I don't like about him, though I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the Barca thing, since I prefer Real Madrid. They are the Dick Dastardly of football. I love a good villain.

It is a good interview. He always comes across very well when he speaks, better than most footballers, especially English players. There's still something I don't like about him, though I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the Barca thing, since I prefer Real Madrid. They are the Dick Dastardly of football. I love a good villain.

Could it be because of his mild case of Dempsey Eye? It's not Ozil bad but it's definitely there.

Just been catching up on this thread. Mo, surely youre not saying that Reina is a better keeper than Farzal Haar at Man U? Big Edwin is the best keeper in England by a mile. Reina is good but not in the same class.

Plus, Edwin has a better name. Edwin. Like Mr Morgan and nearly like Mr Collins. Yusss.

Just been catching up on this thread. Mo, surely youre not saying that Reina is a better keeper than Farzal Haar at Man U? Big Edwin is the best keeper in England by a mile. Reina is good but not in the same class.

Plus, Edwin has a better name. Edwin. Like Mr Morgan and nearly like Mr Collins. Yusss.

Pepe, PEPE!!!!

Woy at West Bwom is the perfect job for him - more his level. Am surprised Hugton didn't get the nod but maybe they think they need an older manager to steady the ship. By all accounts Di Matteo was critical of the chairman over transfer window signings which led to his downfall. Think its a shame as Di Matteo did a great job there.

Meanwhile down in toilet world, I am spending the morning trying to predict just how goals Grimsby Town will cunt past Cambridge United this afternoon to make it seven defeats on the bounce! I reckon a nice resounding 4-0 victory for the fish lovers.

And get this we signed a player called Ricky Wellard on loan yesterday, you couldn't script that!

Line-ups

Man Utd: Van der Sar, O'Shea, Smalling, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson, Nani, Rooney, Giggs. Subs: Lindegaard, Brown, Owen, Berbatov, Hernandez, Carrick, Rafael Da Silva.

Man City: Hart, Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Zabaleta, Milner, Barry, Toure Yaya, Kolarov, Silva, Tevez. Subs: Given, Wright-Phillips, Dzeko, Boateng, Vieira, Jo, Toure.

Berba and Dzeko both left on the bench.

Fergie messing with my fantasy team :down:

United to win 3-1