aberdeen-music

Venue trouble/your basement?

Huw

Hi,

So we've got a gig booked for the 24th of September. We had the Tunnels provisionally booked up until a week ago when we were told we couldn't have it as it was freshers. So we're in a bit of a pickle.

So far we've tried:

Portals

Musa

Korova

Snafu

Drummonds

Tunnels

Cellar 35

We've still to try The Malt Mill and we got a maybe from Transition X (although it is pretty unlikely).

If anybody has or knows of a basement/practice space/house with nice neighbours around town where we could chuck a few bands on it would be GREATLY appreciated. We are more than willing to give you some money and stuff for your troubles.

We aren't just sitting back and waiting for something to come to us, and will be busting our humps over the next few days to find somewhere as well as there is a small number of avenues we haven't ventured down, however if nothing comes by Thursday/Friday time we will probably have to pull the plug on the gig.

Thanks very much, all suggestions/proposals are welcome.

Huw + Autumn Jams.

the bands playing (can be made a 2 band bill if necessary):

shield your eyes on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

CITIZENS on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Carson Wells on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Have you tried asking Captain Toms?

gonna give it a go, but thursday is unlikely. plus tom has intimated that he really only wants to do a gig every so often for his pals, but I shall try.

Blue Lamp?

.did try, didn't hear anything back. gonna try tomorrow though/

Musical Vision?

That could be smart, has it happened before?

There are plenty of bars with function rooms, too. East Neuk?

Social clubs, too...I'm not really sure of any about but I'm sure they exist.

Might be worth asking at TKs about Exodus? I'm not sure what they'd say, but they've definitely had gigs in there in the past.

Or The Moorings..?

East Neuk is becoming officed now I think? Portals was another, but that was a no. I'm a little scared with them, because the music is pretty loud and that places might just pull the plug.

Exodus would be great. Will try that.

Do Moorings do stuff on days other than Satuday?

Thanks for all that. Other suggestions welcome too!

Huw/Warden:

I can pop down to Musical Vision just now/tomorrow and ask them if you want??

If your still about that would be grand!

The Wishes once put on a gig in one of the Shore Porters lockups and it was fucking rad. You could try there? I'm sure there are some bands that still practice down there - who, though, I have no idea.

Aye, know some people who practice there, will try. I'm sure there was something about Teabags putting on gigs there and them getting shut down or summat.

so, the chap i spoke to said that there was a possibility it could happen. the only issue was booze. i told him there'd be 40 people there tops, probably 3/4 quid on the door, which he seemed ok with.

gave him my phone number so hopefully there should be a result soon for you guys!

Thanks so much man!

Just managed to get the Malt Mall though! ARG! 2 buses etc. Thanks so much again, that was really decent of you. Maybe Musical Vision in the future though?!

Thanks to everyone for help. :)

The Wishes once put on a gig in one of the Shore Porters lockups and it was fucking rad. You could try there? I'm sure there are some bands that still practice down there - who, though, I have no idea.

i heard that one time there was a gig in a lockup there and the place was left in a state by the crowd, police were called etc and now basically people are very reluctant to risk a repeat of the incident

that's all heresay though, i don't know what happened for certain

i hope i can make it down to this gig

i heard that one time there was a gig in a lockup there and the place was left in a state by the crowd, police were called etc and now basically people are very reluctant to risk a repeat of the incident

that's all heresay though, i don't know what happened for certain

i hope i can make it down to this gig

Ah. We spent the next day clearing the place up. Was probably tidier than it ever had been after we'd finished!

Then we went on tour and had the time of our lives.

I wish I was still 18. :down:

Aye, know some people who practice there, will try. I'm sure there was something about Teabags putting on gigs there and them getting shut down or summat.

The problem with down there is that it's one thing to put on gigs where everyone is inside the place at a certain time, doors closed and the general public aren't invited, but another thing to put on gigs that are advertised freely and having people coming/going freely and so on.

to clear up, the gig I did there had no problems. Dave and Steve from upstarts who were running the place and at the gig checked, and there were no complaints from the saturday. all complaints were from a Monday, when a certain band (who later chucked toilet paper all voer the place when they heard we were getting kicked out) decided to practice with doors wide open. I was very strict at our gig that it'd be finsihed by a certain time and doors never opened while bands were mid-song.

to clear up, the gig I did there had no problems. Dave and Steve from upstarts who were running the place and at the gig checked, and there were no complaints from the saturday. all complaints were from a Monday, when a certain band (who later chucked toilet paper all voer the place when they heard we were getting kicked out) decided to practice with doors wide open. I was very strict at our gig that it'd be finsihed by a certain time and doors never opened while bands were mid-song.

That was the Flyblown gig, wasn't it? Was a good one that, then the fucking gumbies ruined it for everyone...

Entire world>metalheads.

:up: