aberdeen-music

Sandi Thom vs Andrew Learmonth!

Dave-IRL

haha thats ace, that guy is a pleb anyway!

Have you read any of his columns? He sounds like a complete dick.

He goes on and on and on about how he's 'cool' and 'knows music' - then goes on about seeing the Arctic fucking Monkeys at the AECC, because ...that's where cool is to be found.

I notice he writes about "me, me and fucking me" the whole time too.

He actually represents everything that's horrible about Aberdeen :down: Even down to his constant mentioning of The Tunnels, like some sort of superior being just because he goes to indie gigs there.

He goes on and on and on about how he's 'cool' and 'knows music' - then goes on about seeing the Arctic fucking Monkeys at the AECC, because ...that's where cool is to be found.

He actually represents everything that's horrible about Aberdeen :down: Even down to his constant mentioning of The Tunnels, like some sort of superior being just because he goes to indie gigs there.

whereas of course you come off brilliantly on the internet everytime. and you never talk about how you've done stuff in poland do you?

• Upvote 3

Andy's a nice guy actually.

Because Cloud comments on himself in Poland? Did you read what he posted, and then Dave posted?

so why not pick any person on here who posts about them selves, this cloud stuff is getting boring now, every thread the boy posts in someone spams it with shit like that. I know most folk dont like him but is there realy any need for it to be brought up every single time.

so why not pick any person on here who posts about them selves, this cloud stuff is getting boring now, every thread the boy posts in someone spams it with shit like that. I know most folk dont like him but is there realy any need for it to be brought up every single time.

To be fair, he brings it on himself by being, by and large a complete tit on these forums.

And andy is a great chap.

If this bloke is a nice guy or not, it doesn't really matter - the point is that he was a dick online to someone and then got called out for it. Sandi Thom's done far more than he appears to have done, and the whole thing screams of 'let's pick on Sandi because she's an easy target'. He's coming across in his blogs as being the classic case of someone who likes to think that he's some sort of IMPORTANT PERSON. Certainly, he's about as controversial as Greigsy for crying out loud!

Seeing as everyone is so desperate to talk about me being in Poland, I think I'll make it a recurring theme in every post I make.

Wonder if Sandi Thom will do a tour of Poland? If the Manics can support Limp Bizkit here (seriously), then she could quite easily do some nice support gigs here.

• Upvote 2

Seeing as everyone is so desperate to talk about me being in Poland, I think I'll make it a recurring theme in every post I make.

No way Clyde, you in Poland? Had no idea...

While you're there, check out the following bands: Squash Bowels, Pignation, Grossmember and Antigama. Proper noisy shit, not like half the bollocks the rinkies talk about on here.

:up:

If this bloke is a nice guy or not, it doesn't really matter - the point is that he was a dick online to someone and then got called out for it. Sandi Thom's done far more than he appears to have done, and the whole thing screams of 'let's pick on Sandi because she's an easy target'. He's coming across in his blogs as being the classic case of someone who likes to think that he's some sort of IMPORTANT PERSON. Certainly, he's about as controversial as Greigsy for crying out loud!

Wonder if Sandi Thom will do a tour of Poland? If the Manics can support Limp Bizkit here (seriously), then she could quite easily do some nice support gigs here.

Don't talk about Greigsy, he's alledgedly a very nice chap.

the point is that he was a dick online to someone and then got called out for it.

I feel it does matter that Andrew Learmouth is an exceptionally nice guy - he even apologized for hating Thom's music, which is far more than is deserved for such tosh. Yet she responds with evil sonic warfare. That's cold.

And you've noticed that Andrew (alongside every column writer) talks about themselves. Congratulations. Columnists write about their own experiences. If they didn't, they'd be writing about other occurrences... y'know... like the rest of the newspaper?

I feel it does matter that Andrew Learmouth is an exceptionally nice guy - he even apologized for hating Thom's music, which is far more than is deserved for such tosh. Yet she responds with evil sonic warfare. That's cold.

Did he apologise because he meant it, or did he just want to keep his blog on the EE website? Bearing in mind that having Sandi Thom as a columnist is far more interesting than him, he might just have been covering his own back.

And you've noticed that Andrew (alongside every column writer) talks about themselves. Congratulations. Columnists write about their own experiences. If they didn't, they'd be writing about other occurrences... y'know... like the rest of the newspaper?

Writing about how cool he thinks he is because he goes to 'indie gigs at The Tunnels' is absolutely pathetic. His posts about the Fringe are done well, but some of it just screams 'look at me, look at me, i'm different'.

Doesn't really matter if he's nice or not - the point is that his blog is absolutely mince.

Did he apologise because he meant it, or did he just want to keep his blog on the EE website? Bearing in mind that having Sandi Thom as a columnist is far more interesting than him, he might just have been covering his own back.

Sandi Thom wasn't a columnist when he wrote the apology (as clearly stated) back in February.

If you can't read very well, you may not be the best person to give their oh-so-valuable judgement on 'mince blogs'.

Sandi Thom wasn't a columnist when he wrote the apology (as clearly stated) back in February.

If you can't read very well, you may not be the best person to give their oh-so-valuable judgement on 'mince blogs'.

So that would be why he lost the radio gig and his blogging gig, then? Clearly slagging off Sandi Thom didn't do much for him...

As clearly stated where though? Not in the February blog post, and not on here...

Then again, he just sounds bitter that someone from the North East managed to get to get their 15 minutes of fame, whereas he's still stuck behind the bar in a random music venue in a backwater of the UK. Sandi's right - he was taking a cheap shot, and where she might actually have managed to do some good for Aberdeen in publicising the city abroad, there's absolutely no reason for her to do so now.

Perhaps he would learn a lot by not shitting on his own doorstep in future?

Andrew's radio show was cancelled because Original were freed from their obligation to devote a portion of their airtime to local music and non-mainstream material by the Radio Authority. They felt that more money could be made through advertising by playing MOR standards in between adverts rather than music from local bands and up-and-coming artists.

Oh, I know the story, but it is damming that a show dedicated to dull MOR had more worth to the station than a show dedicated to local music.

I think it's a matter of record that he was asked to stay on as a presenter, but he chose to leave the station rather than have his playlist dictated to him. He stood up for his principles, and I guarantee you, every single band that appeared on that show, and every single song he played, had more artistic merit and worth to the local scene and the music scene in general than anything Sandi Thom has ever managed to produce.

This is exactly the point I'm making here - he may have done a hell of a lot for Aberdeen locally, but to take cheap shots at one of the very few people to have succeeded out of the North East for no real reason than seemingly to appeal to his circles is absolutely pathetic.

I don't know him and can only judge him on the basis of what he's written online - and he comes across badly to an outsider. Whether or not he's a good guy isn't here nor there - come on, there's plenty of good guys offline who have been involved in some incredibly petty arguments and feuds online.

(as a random aside, given the mockery of the EE by almost everyone with an ounce of sense in Aberdeen - why on earth was he writing for them??)

Just check the dates of her blogs and Andrew's. It's not difficult.

That's not 'clear' though, is it? ;)

So what you're basically saying is, it's OK Aberdeen doesn't have a outspoken voice and an outlet for local talent, we've got Sandi Thom. Please Sandi, don't give up on us now. Take this vast wodge of our money to impose your soulless dreck upon the rest of the world. We could have spent it on developing local talent, or financing a local radio show that plays music that's different to every single other pop/rock oriented station in the country, but we'd like you to have it because you've had a HIT SINGLE in the CHARTS! Good on you Sandi, show those worthless bastards in the Tunnels how it should be done.

No. I'm saying that after she was dropped by Sony, people should have been clamouring to get her 'on side' here. No matter what anyone says, she's had some success and could have helped Aberdeen in some way, especially as she's gone stateside to try and find a deal there. But what motivation does she have to help anyone, especially if people like him are taking cheap shots at her? No matter what you say, she could get coverage in the local press by attending the naming of a cat cermony - whereas many people would struggle to even get the cat mentioned in the EE.

The thing I don't like is that this guy is coming across online as being part of something that's much better than you because he doesn't listen to Sandi Thom - yet of all the people he could be slagging off, he choses to pick on one of the very few success stories from the North East. It was misguided and stupid to do so - especially as it appears to have backfired quite badly.

Cloud, you've taken some controversial viewpoints in the past, and you've made both very valid points as well as spouting unhinged nonsense. There have been times when I've stood up for you and defended your right to make your points in the way you do, but you are so far off-beam with this one it's just incredible.

Maybe it's a matter of a different perspective - I don't know or care for him or Sandi Thom, so I don't have any personal attachment to either of them.

But people like this guy can work their ass off promoting the local scene, doing all that's good and so on - yet someone like Sandi Thom could do far more with one gesture than he could do all year. It's not fair, or right - but it's the way it is.