aberdeen-music

Sandi Thom vs Andrew Learmonth!

Dave-IRL

It hardly backfired quite badly. She got annoyed at him and wrote a crap song. He must be shitting himself.

Well, he lost his radio show, his blog and is working behind the bar in The Tunnels. Meanwhile, Sandi is in America promoting herself.....1-0 Sandi, I'd say.

It is MY opinion that you and sandy thom are twats.

Such articulate language!

Hint : Try having your own opinions in future, rather than simply following the herd, eh?

Well, he lost his radio show, his blog and is working behind the bar in The Tunnels. Meanwhile, Sandi is in America promoting herself.....1-0 Sandi, I'd say.

I still don't see how you can claim that his comment backfired. He didn't lose his radio job because he slagged off Sandi Thom.

to take cheap shots at one of the very few people to have succeeded out of the North East for no real reason than seemingly to appeal to his circles is absolutely pathetic.

I don't know him and can only judge him on the basis of what he's written online - and he comes across badly to an outsider. Whether or not he's a good guy isn't here nor there - come on, there's plenty of good guys offline who have been involved in some incredibly petty arguments and feuds online.

Thing is Cumulus, is it not equally pathetic that Sandi Thom feels the need to 'drop to his level' and post that pile of garbage up as a retort? Might just be me, but that comes across as being childish and very insecure, and god knows I've been in enough horse-shit no-win internet dogfights to know as much.....

:up:

Thing is Cumulus, is it not equally pathetic that Sandi Thom feels the need to 'drop to his level' and post that pile of garbage up as a retort? Might just be me, but that comes across as being childish and very insecure, and god knows I've been in enough horse-shit no-win internet dogfights to know as much.....

It does, to be fair. I doubt anyone was even talking/thinking about his blog until she mentioned it - and she would've done far better to leave it be. Then again, it's got people talking about her, even if it's in a mostly negative way.

I wonder what her motivation was, to be honest - she might just be fooling around with too much time on her hands, or she might actually have taken it as a deadly insult. Hard to say...

Can we please stop going on like Sandi Thom is from Aberdeen. She's no more from Aberdeen than I am. I don't think it's worthwhile "claiming" her to be honest.

She's from the North East though, no?

She's from the North East though, no?

It's 45 miles to Macduff from Aberdeen. She's not from Aberdeen. She might be from the North East, but the North East is not Aberdeen is it, no?

Dundee is only another 20 miles more in the opposite direction, does that mean by the same virtue we get to claim The View as well. Fucking bonus!

Jesus christ, andy's done more positive stuff for bands and music in the north east than sandi thom has. He lost his radio show because radio stations make more money from automated shows than a small indie show.

why is this even being discussed? Sandi thom writing and recording a whole song in response to a comedian saying he doesn't like her music is a bit of an overreaction. If she's doing so well then why the fuck would andy even be on her radar? She's obviously got a lot of down time between hectic american tours if she can spend it fannying about with this pish.

Andy's blog was done in February, it's now June. Sandi started writing her column about a month ago and it's usually linked from the front page.

My query is was she searching for her own page? was it the result of a google search? Why does she care so much what a mediocre comedian from Aberdeen said 4 months ago? Is it just some stupid publicity stunt concocted by the two to raise both profiles?

Jesus christ, andy's done more positive stuff for bands and music in the north east than sandi thom has. He lost his radio show because radio stations make more money from automated shows than a small indie show.

What motivation is there for Sandi Thom to help anyone, seeing as small time charlies like this do nothing but criticise her? I certainly wouldn't be lifting a hand to help anyone if I was her, especially when someone who's 'done so much' uses an internet column to take cheap shots.

why is this even being discussed? Sandi thom writing and recording a whole song in response to a comedian saying he doesn't like her music is a bit of an overreaction. If she's doing so well then why the fuck would andy even be on her radar? She's obviously got a lot of down time between hectic american tours if she can spend it fannying about with this pish.

Maybe she's just taking the piss, maybe she's just showing that she's human and can be affected by unfair criticism just as the rest of us can? Or maybe, just maybe - she's having a laugh at people's expense who take themselves deadly seriously?

What motivation is there for Sandi Thom to help anyone, seeing as small time charlies like this do nothing but criticise her? I certainly wouldn't be lifting a hand to help anyone if I was her, especially when someone who's 'done so much' uses an internet column to take cheap shots.

Maybe she's just taking the piss, maybe she's just showing that she's human and can be affected by unfair criticism just as the rest of us can? Or maybe, just maybe - she's having a laugh at people's expense who take themselves deadly seriously?

oh ffs, it's not worth it. sandi thom is taking herself far too seriously and this thread is turning ridiculous. it's a fine example of shitness.

Most musical successes spawn some sort of crap variation - see Oasis/Blur and then Menswear. I've always seen Sandi Thom as a kind of shit KT Tunstall offshoot. See also Amy MacDonald. So basically she has had her 5 minutes of fame and the Evening Express has thrown her somewhat of a lifeline with this column because sure as hell no one is interested in her music. In fact this actually probably represents her best shot at getting her music heard by any quantity of folk other than her immediate family and Alex Salmond who may still buy her CD's. Oh hang on, no she fell out with him as well didn't sheone down

Guest Tam o' Shantie
No way Clyde, you in Poland? Had no idea...

While you're there, check out the following bands: Squash Bowels, Pignation, Grossmember and Antigama. Proper noisy shit, not like half the bollocks the rinkies talk about on here.

:up:

I checked out those bands, good gracious what a racket. How can you handle this, it's just a noise. I was hoping for something with a good tune that I could dance to...don't think I'll be making that mistake again. Give me some Oasis/Ian Brown any day...I hardly think that's 'bollocks'.

Guest Gladstone

Cannot believe what I'm reading on this thread.

Cloud - all Andy really said was that Sandi Thom's music is shit. Do you really think he just said that as some sort of cheapshot, or to gain credibility? I think he said it because her music is shit. He then went on to say he thought she was quite nice and friendly, but her music is still shit.

He's hardly gone out of his way to rip into her or anything.

And, Andy is a really nice bloke. He went to my school, and he's given a LOT of local bands airtime they wouldn't have otherwise got. I haven't read his column, but on reading those two that refer to Sandi Thom, he hardly comes across as a total dick, and he doesn't claim to be cool in either of them.

I'm fairly sure he doesn't give a fuck that Sandi Thom has written another bollocks song, this time slagging him off.

The only person that looks utterly pathetic here is Sandi Thom. Fuck me, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she's been googling herself before retaliating to this 4 months later. Or she's been saving it up for 4 months, and now that she's got her column, she can let it all out. If she writes a shit song about everyone who slags off her music, she'll be able to fill the column for years to come because her music is balls. She had a hit in the charts which was a bit catchy and loads of kids bought it, and heaps of folk from the North East go "wow, someone from the North East got famous, she must be good!"

I doubt she's done any good whatsoever for music in Aberdeen. How many times has she done the circuit in Aberdeen? Never I'd guess. Seems to me she managed to get her "fame" through some clever PR and marketing as someone mentioned above, and the first time she'll have played Aberdeen would be after she was famous. I don't really think Aberdeen needs her at all.

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Sandi's family is wealthy enough that she can do whatever the fuck she wants for as long as she wants to. Don't you get it? People like her can be successful because they can buy as much PR & promotion as they want. They can even pretend that they made fans through 'guerilla' webcam gigs, then top the charts through download sales, which these days probably amounts to a VERY low amount (I've heard stuff about top singles in the last few years getting there with a matter of a few thousand purchases). They can play gigs anywhere they want, any time they want because they don't have to worry about paying rent or buying food like normal people. When Sandi missed a flight to one of her gigs, her helicopter pilot father chartered a chopper for her and got her there on time. But the Evening Express reported it as if she just magic-ed it up with her rock goddess charms.

Andy walked away from his job because of basic principles or simply a lack of interest in playing songs from chart playlists...I don't see how you can 'lose' a blog and if rumours are to be believed, is indeed working in Tunnels where I'd imagine he is fairly happy if not a little less well paid than before. Sandi is promoting herself in America, which means she is on holiday in America. Before long when Sandi gets bored of being a punk rocker with flowers in her hair, she will start her own PR company/A&R/Management so that in later years, she too can cater to the needs of teenagers with rich parents who want to 'make it' in the industry. Who knows, their parents might even know Sandi from back in the good old days and favours can be exchanged. And the cycle continues...

• Upvote 3

I swore while reading this thread I wasn't going to get sucked in to replying to you...

A - It wasn't unfair criticism. Her music really is shit.

B - The only person taking themselves deadly seriously is her.

Hint : Try having your own opinions in future, rather than simply following the herd, eh?
Why is it "following the herd" if people think you and Sandi Thom are twats.

You are a twat. No explanation needed.

Sandi Thom spent time writing and recording a shit song with controversial dirty words in it becasue a popular columnist thought her music is shite. Which makes her a twat.

I did that without following anything. In fact, I didn't even get out of my chair.

The story's made it to the broadsheets:

Sandi Thom swears like a punk rocker in ode to critics - Times Online

Doesn't really add anything new, although there is this funny quote:

Her most recent album, The Pink and the Lily, was mauled by several critics following its release last year. A review in The Times said: Given that Thom was one of the first chart-busting beneficiaries of the download culture, its slightly amazing that the nation hasnt risen up, smashed its computers and pledged allegiance to the gramophone for ever more.

A review in the Scotsman described her music as something Texas left behind 15 years ago, adding that she was a truly terrible lyricist who indulged in cod philosophy.

Guest Gladstone

Looks like this little outburst has done her the world of good. Twat.

She wouldn't get criticised left, right and centre if her songs weren't so shit. Spoilt little shit.