aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Awesome transcript sir. :up:

Footballers, however much I idolise them, are total losers with zero sense of humour beyond giving out 'stick' and 'banta'.

I personally think Ronaldo had such a personality on him considering he's a bit of a playboy footballer. The thing on Youtube where they are asking the general public what they think of Ronaldo, and he dresses up as a Manc and says "I think he's the best in the world, mate" was ace. As was his interview with Anderson on the last day of last season. Pretty sure he was eating a Stretford Pie right out of the packet throughout the whole ordeal too. Get in. I think it's mostly the British footballers, with the overblown laddish culture here, that fall victim to this. Skills schools is a perfect example of this, as is the Crossbar Challenge, and the whole 9 and a half hours of Soccer AM, or however long its on for. It's all "waheeeeeeeeey" and wolf whistles. It's a truly godawful horrible horrible programme.

I personally think Ronaldo had such a personality on him considering he's a bit of a playboy footballer. The thing on Youtube where they are asking the general public what they think of Ronaldo, and he dresses up as a Manc and says "I think he's the best in the world, mate" was ace. As was his interview with Anderson on the last day of last season. Pretty sure he was eating a Stretford Pie right out of the packet throughout the whole ordeal too. Get in. I think it's mostly the British footballers, with the overblown laddish culture here, that fall victim to this. Skills schools is a perfect example of this, as is the Crossbar Challenge, and the whole 9 and a half hours of Soccer AM, or however long its on for. It's all "waheeeeeeeeey" and wolf whistles. It's a truly godawful horrible horrible programme.

yep, I do miss the pouting ponce, he was good for the game as well as the media surrounding the game. I remember when they played in japan and him and Rooney came right off the pitch and into a tv studio. Ronaldo was laughing and joking and generally trying to make it a good bit of telly despite the language/culture barrier whereas Rooney stuck to his 'you know, at the end of the day i'm enjoyin my football' shpiel.

Thiery Henry was a great personality too. I hope he goes to the US eventually, he'd be a much better ambassador for the sport than Beckham. He's actually a funny guy who doesn't take himself too seriously.

The French are quite the personalities. Wenger, when not moaning about referees, has got a superb sense of humour. Evra seems to enjoy a good joke in broken up English as well. I liked Henry in the old Pro Evo adverts. He loves to make $$$ "No, boss, *cough* I'm still very sick"

It's just us British lads, and all this tits and lager that surrounds the British culture of Football. Our footballers are mindless yobs. Their post match interviews are exactly as you described. I'm pretty sure Lampard, Rooney and Gerrard have probably said the exact same sentence on at least 3 billion occasions.

I do miss Ronaldo. Even his manic flailing of arms when he doesn't get a free kick is missed, and when he got subbed late last season, and every time the camera caught him, he was shaking his head for about 20 minutes solid. A winner.

Speaking of Wenger. It is an absolute joy to hear him commentate on french football. He often pops up for the big matches. The regular commentators are absoulte pish (no depth in their analysis beyond 'oooh that was a good shot' and describing exactly what's happening... For this british commentators are the best in the world IMO).

But Wenger doesn't have that guarded, media-weary way of talking cryptically when he's on french TV, he seems to just let go and often talks openly about his tactics, his squad, the english game, etc. It's so refreshing considering how little he gives away in british interviews and press conferences. Also, his analysis of the game is genius, he sees things I'd never pick up on in a million years.

The French are quite the personalities. Wenger, when not moaning about referees, has got a superb sense of humour. Evra seems to enjoy a good joke in broken up English as well. I liked Henry in the old Pro Evo adverts. He loves to make $$$ "No, boss, *cough* I'm still very sick"

It's just us British lads, and all this tits and lager that surrounds the British culture of Football. Our footballers are mindless yobs. Their post match interviews are exactly as you described. I'm pretty sure Lampard, Rooney and Gerrard have probably said the exact same sentence on at least 3 billion occasions.

I do miss Ronaldo. Even his manic flailing of arms when he doesn't get a free kick is missed, and when he got subbed late last season, and every time the camera caught him, he was shaking his head for about 20 minutes solid. A winner.

I wanted to rep you for this, but I couldn't.

There is a chronic lack of personality in football now. For all people bemoan lack of loyalty (quite rightly), there were some awesome examples of characters in football who just chased money. Anyone remember Benito Carbone? Played for Bradford, Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday in the space of 6 years... what a guy.

If you compare Euro 2008 to the World Cup 98 you can see how much football has lost its character. 1998 had Zidane, Valderrama, Davids, Diego Simeone, Rivaldo. Not all completely outrageous players, but each with some level of controversy or a distinctly individual set of characterstics, from ridiculous talent, to blonde afros, via Edgar Davids' big glasses. 2008 only really had Artur Boruc in the bat-shit-insane stakes.

It's a shame. Football's definitely getting better and better as a spectacle but it lacks personality.

Guest Gladstone
I wanted to rep you for this, but I couldn't.

There is a chronic lack of personality in football now. For all people bemoan lack of loyalty (quite rightly), there were some awesome examples of characters in football who just chased money. Anyone remember Benito Carbone? Played for Bradford, Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday in the space of 6 years... what a guy.

If you compare Euro 2008 to the World Cup 98 you can see how much football has lost its character. 1998 had Zidane, Valderrama, Davids, Diego Simeone, Rivaldo. Not all completely outrageous players, but each with some level of controversy or a distinctly individual set of characterstics, from ridiculous talent, to blonde afros, via Edgar Davids' big glasses. 2008 only really had Artur Boruc in the bat-shit-insane stakes.

It's a shame. Football's definitely getting better and better as a spectacle but it lacks personality.

Carbone was also magic. Remember his over-head kick? I think whilst playing for Wednesday. Original Spies will confirm this...

I think Jimmy Bullard should do the media training in the Premiership. Sod your standard answers about "enjoying my football" or "getting our heads down and working hard in training" wait for the cameras to roll and start giggling...that's how interviews should be done.

2008 only really had Artur Boruc in the bat-shit-insane stakes.

As a Boro fan, I assume you haven't completely forgotton about POGATETZ. That guy is a fucking balloon. Absolutely terrifying. Did you see when the throw-in didn't get given his way and he tried to take A BITE out of a LEATHER FOOTBALL? Fuck me. What a raving mentalist.

He also smashed Rodrigo Possebon's leg to pieces in the Carling Cup last season. He was out for months. He's been shipped out on loan now because apparently he's nowhere near as fast as he used to be, with the club wanting to send him back, because apparently he's pure fucking rubbish now. What a life ruiner.

Pogatetz should be in prison with other mentally derranged sociopaths.

Carbone was also magic. Remember his over-head kick? I think whilst playing for Wednesday. Original Spies will confirm this...

I'm sorry. Positive memories of Sheffield Wednesday have been erased and replaced with suffering and struggle. I think any bicycle kick we've ever scored has probably been replaced in my mind by one of Mark Beevers' own goals, on a loop, over and over, and over. Possibly all of them in a montage, along to the soundtrack from Saw.

Guest Gladstone
I will watch that when I get home, and remember the better times, when had the prestige to sign decent players.

Remember Regi Blinker? He was better than Shearer.

Celtic got him for a few years. He was shit.

Scored a belter of an own goal against Aberdeen.

I'll grant you he was better than (Duncan) Shearer.

Man Utd goal: That's a goal that might torment Fabio Capello. Michael Owen ducks between two defenders, gets into the box and appears to surprise the keeper with the early finish, slotting it right-footed into the corner. World class.

That's from the BBC. World class? Has someone over at the Beeb forgotten who Man Utd are playing? It's hardly a world class defence they're up against.