aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone
Everyone hated me and gave me bad rep for using it once. I'm not brave enough to do it again.

I'd hazard a guess at the "let me google that for you" thing just being an excuse to bad rep you...

;)

He said when he got the boot that he wouldn't manage again in Scotland as anywhere after Aberdeen would be a downward step. Killie will offer him peanuts.

Aye, but he's also said in that story that it's been hard being out of the game for 8 months and he's now willing to listen to any offers. He's definitely interested according to what he's said in the article. Good luck to him I say, I never really cared for him as Dons manager, but personally I wish him success as he seems like a decent guy who's passionate as hell about football.

Guest Gladstone

Seems Gary Caldwell has signed for Wigan, according to his agent.

I don't think we should be getting rid of him - he's probably our best centre half. Someone on a Celtic board made the good point that alongside a more experienced centre half, Caldwell would do much better, which I think is true. Same goes for McManus actually - the problem for Celtic is that they were playing both these guys in the same defence, but I think both of them really need an experienced head alongside them. We should have signed Sol Campbell ;)

Brian Laws to be appointed Burnley manager.

What do you reckon of that, Meesta Spies? I don't think it makes a great deal of sense, employing a man who just left a club in the Championship's relegation zone to try and help a Premiership side avoid relegation. I would've thought that O'Driscoll would've been a better option. Ah well, at least Laws'll be cheap.

I'm actually a bit jealous he's found someone else so quick, fucking whore.

I like Laws. He got his stick, from me included, but I think we all liked to forget he worked with an almost non-existent budget, and worked tirelessly to achieve his aims, and whilst he wasn't always successful, we were nearly always safe. He's got a tremendous work ethic about him. I think if he has some finances to work with at Burnley, he'll do fine, and do a good job. He's very good on the market. He'll take his time with his targets, and he'll rarely bring in a player unless he's certain he'll work. Out of everyone he brought in for us, there was only ever one serious flop. Darren Purse. The rest, whilst they weren't glamerous, they all had a place and did a job. He reads the game as well as many PL managers can, but he didn't have the resources at Wednesday to fix what was broken.

I hope he keeps Burnley up anyway. They are a very likeable club, and Turf Moor has such an incredible atmosphere. I feel a bit sorry for them that Coyle has gone, and a bit baffled. He had the opportunity for success with the Celtic job and turned it down to finish what he started at Burnely, and now he side steps to Bolton. Obviously they are a club with sentimental value to him, but I worry it will leave them in a bit of a mess. I don't know if Laws will have an instant effect, and if they go down, Laws will be to blame, rather than that judas Coyle, who I used to admire alot, but now I think he's a twat.

Guest Gladstone
Aye, but Caldwell was out of contract wasn't he? So worth getting some cash for him while they can.

I meant to add that point - he was going to be out of contract at the end of the Summer, so worth getting something for him now. He was also a total knob talking about his contract expectations to the press etc...

Posted this before, but it's pretty funny:

Gary Caldwell (GaryCaldwell5) on Twitter

I'm actually a bit jealous he's found someone else so quick, fucking whore.

I like Laws. He got his stick, from me included, but I think we all liked to forget he worked with an almost non-existent budget, and worked tirelessly to achieve his aims, and whilst he wasn't always successful, we were nearly always safe. He's got a tremendous work ethic about him. I think if he has some finances to work with at Burnley, he'll do fine, and do a good job. He's very good on the market. He'll take his time with his targets, and he'll rarely bring in a player unless he's certain he'll work. Out of everyone he brought in for us, there was only ever one serious flop. Darren Purse. The rest, whilst they weren't glamerous, they all had a place and did a job. He reads the game as well as many PL managers can, but he didn't have the resources at Wednesday to fix what was broken.

I hope he keeps Burnley up anyway. They are a very likeable club, and Turf Moor has such an incredible atmosphere. I feel a bit sorry for them that Coyle has gone, and a bit baffled. He had the opportunity for success with the Celtic job and turned it down to finish what he started at Burnely, and now he side steps to Bolton. Obviously they are a club with sentimental value to him, but I worry it will leave them in a bit of a mess. I don't know if Laws will have an instant effect, and if they go down, Laws will be to blame, rather than that judas Coyle, who I used to admire alot, but now I think he's a twat.

Also, the article regarding the Burnley appointment said this:

"The results of a Deloitte and Touche study, delivered at the club's request, confirm that he was top of the list of Championship managers over the period 2006-2009, in terms of delivering the best results relative to financial budgets." and also that he worked with one of the lowest wage and transfer budgets in the league.

Come back, Laws. :(

Also, the article regarding the Burnley appointment said this:

"The results of a Deloitte and Touche study, delivered at the club's request, confirm that he was top of the list of Championship managers over the period 2006-2009, in terms of delivering the best results relative to financial budgets." and also that he worked with one of the lowest wage and transfer budgets in the league.

Come back, Laws. :(

Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing. - Ebbe Skovdahl, 2000

This will be amazing. It's also worth noting that a league which boasts a full set of Caldwells can't possibly claim to be the best in the world.

Au contraire, they could boast to be the best league in the world, DESPITE the Caldwells. Would La Liga cope with the Chuckle Brothers? Serie A? No, surely not.

Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing. - Ebbe Skovdahl, 2000

I hate stats too, unless they favour people I like. I still quite like that statistic for him, and he still did a sterling job with absolutely no resources. The statistic that we had the lowest budget for wages and transfers in the whole division doesn't really cover anything up though. It lets everyone know full well that we are proper skint.

How the Glazer family have milked debt-ridden United for millions | Sport | The Guardian

Bad times at Manchester United. I've known for a while that the Glazers' finances are a little bit dodgy, but I didn't think they were quite as bad as the article above suggests. Fortunately United are in a position where they'll probably never struggle to find a potential new buyer, but I've got a lot of sympathy for their fans after years of having to endure shit like this from John Hall, Freddy Shepherd, and now Mike Ashley. I despise this club on a level with Sunderland and Rangers, but it's shitty news for their fans.

It seems to be the case that there are 2 interested parties looking at buying United, but the Glazers are relying on United to pay their debt and interest and refusing to sell up. The slump of the Tampa Buc's is not a good prospect for United fans either. The RedArmy forum's resident NFL nerd states that the Buc's are saying that money is in place if they need to bolster the team, but the value currently isn't there. Sound familiar?

The most infuriating thing for fans of both teams is that selling up one of the 2 teams they own would probably cover the 600m debt. The team that is sold would also get the added bonus of being completely rid of the Glazers forever, and the remaining team would just about be in the black.

I don't think they'll ever suffer a Leeds United decline unless a glazer demands they sell all the star players to fund the debt. There'll probably be a few trophyless seasons whilst they consolidate though, which will only realistically be achieved by selling the Buc's or the Glazer family selling up/getting nuked/having their kids kidnapped, raped and held for 600m ransom, but then killed anyway, for giggles.

I am not at all taken by the idea of 3rd parties with absolutely no emotional ties to club, borrowing money they don't have to buy a club, to feed from it's profits, with the ambitions of the club as a mere footnote. It's absolutely terrible for the game. The most successful clubs are reporting huge losses, despite winning trophies and having money thrown at them from Sky and ESPN. These losses just seem to be completely shrugged off. No one is stepping in and saying "Hey, wait a minute, you just lost 50 million quid. John Terry is on 3 quarters of a million quid a month. Get it sorted".

I'm quite glad I'll probably be alive to see football swallow itself into a black hole. The self proclaimed best league in the world will probably melt down, and the fizzy pop league will be the top division. I can't wait to be a top flight club again.

Good to see Liverpool getting bunted out of the cup by Reading tonight. Apparently Torres and Gerrrrraaaarrrrrrdddd went off injured, too. They've looked a little bit more convincing in the league recently, but that's an absolutely stinker of a result against a very poor Reading team. Maxi Rodriguez for 1.5m is a good signing though; Rafa should go for a 4-4-2 with Maxi, Gerrard, Mascherano, and one of their mediocre wingers across the middle, and Torres and Kuyt up front. It could work, but Benitz is so set in his tactical ways that he'll probably just stick with his rigid 4-2-3-1 system.

We beat Plymouth 3-0 with Lovenkrands getting a hat-trick. A dandy warm-up for West Brom on Monday, which is definitely the biggest game of our season so far. Could prove to be a pivotal point for our season - beat them and I can't see us not getting promoted. It'll be a lot more interesting for the neutral if we lose, though.

Personally? I think we'll dick 'em.

Killie have offered Tango the job... BBC Sport - Football - Kilmarnock offer manager's job to Jimmy Calderwood

Key paragraph, though, reads "But SPL rivals Dundee United, who are seeking a replacement for new Scotland coach Craig Levein, are understood to have also been in touch with Calderwood."

LOL!

Haha, a wanted man. Might as well throw Motherwell into the mix as well.