aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Interview with him this morning said that the Burnley game is his priority, as he considers his side have more chance of beating them, and are positional rivals for the most part, so he's keeping his key players fresh for that.

I can understand resting a few players ahead of a big 6 pointer but every single one bar the GK?! It's very rare a manager essentially concedes defeat before a league match. Not giving a fuck about the result of the Beer cup or the Europa is pretty common but a league match is nuts. I still say he's mental. Well maybe not completely mad but certainly straddling the line between tactical genius and winging it like a mentalist. Perfect time to have a go at man yoo after a defeat and still missing key players. I wonder what the travelling Wolves fans thought of it?

Some credit is due to Birmingham at the moment. Joint 6th with Spurs! Big Eck has done a hell of a job.

I'm sure Chelsea and Man Utd won't be looking forward to the trip to St Andrews in the coming few weeks.

Yes! I've always had faith in the managerial skills of the freckled one. Right mix of experience and nippy youngsters in the squad at the moment and their defence has been outstanding. Funds available in January too so it's all looking bright at the moment. Sunderland had a similarly impressive run at the beginning of the season and they're flailing badly now but the difference is they have the relatively untested Bruce at the helm whereas Mcleish has the know-how to keep a good team performing once they've reached the level.

I can understand resting a few players ahead of a big 6 pointer but every single one bar the GK?! It's very rare a manager essentially concedes defeat before a league match. Not giving a fuck about the result of the Beer cup or the Europa is pretty common but a league match is nuts. I still say he's mental. Well maybe not completely mad but certainly straddling the line between tactical genius and winging it like a mentalist. Perfect time to have a go at man yoo after a defeat and still missing key players. I wonder what the travelling Wolves fans thought of it?

I actually didn't realise it was that many players til I saw the highlights. It's quite shocking now I've seen it in perspective. Old Trafford away days are fucking expensive, and as far as I'm aware, their allocation was sold out. I'd feel a little bit conned if I was a Wolves fan.

They've got some good players who are good in the air, and could have bullied Carrick a fair bit. It's a shame they didn't just have a right good go at them.

It's widely argued that his choice of fielding a weakened side influences other teams other than his own and the opponents. Easy win for title contenders, and such.

However, I don't agree with the inconsistency of this kind of thing. Ferguson wasn't punished when a second string side played Hull on the last day of the season. However, there might have been more of a backlash if Hull had actually won.

He can argue that he didn't think his side were particularly weakened and had just as good a chance of taking points off them as the XI he played at the weekend. After all, he has faith in all his players, right?

I don't agree with that at all, he should be allowed to play Andy Keogh in goals and Marcus Hahnemann on the left wing if that's what he wants to do.

Guest Gladstone

It's utter bollocks. Mick McCarthy picked (I assume) 11 players from his first team squad. Loads of managers dick about with squad rotation etc so he could just argue, he thought those were the best 11 for the game in front of him. Wolves getting beat 3-0 by Man Utd isn't massively unexpected, either.

Plus, the league lasts all season, he surely has to consider what's best for his team over the course of the season. He could have fielded his "strongest team" and got a couple of key men injured and still lost 3-0 to Man Utd, and then jeapordised the next few games which he has a realistic chance of winning/picking up points.

Bunch of bastards.

How come they're able to piss about in cups then? Or at the end of a season when they chuck kids in? What a pile of crap, how is somebody going to determine what his strongest side is or isn't?

That's a Premier League rule, no idea about cup rules.

I agree it's crap though. The squad-size limit they were thinking about bringing in would sort it out, there's no argument if all 11 players in the team are in the squad of (for example) 25.

Hopefully MM will get exactly the same punishment as SAF because I can't see a difference in what they did. They both got the expected result.

how is somebody going to determine what his strongest side is or isn't?

Champ man stats?

I don't think MM should get disciplined and I agree the rule is a bit odd. I presume it was put in place to stop teams throwing games away to get other teams relegated but surely that just comes under the 'good sportsmanship' umbrella that houses all those unwritten rules. Just like there's no rule to say a player has to kick the ball out of play when an opposing player is injured (i'm looking at you Robert Pires).

I just think it was a strange decision to replace the entire team. 5 or 6 players I could understand.

back in the old days teams used to get fined for fielding a weakened side, I recall Leeds were in the early 70's. In the case of Man Utd they already had the title bagged and still had to play in the champions league. Although Hull did have something to play for. The rules are very sketchy but surely it was an unfair advantage for Hull to play a weakened Man U side? In any case the result didnt matter but I think the rules need sorting.

I can understand why MM did that and if they beat Burnley this weekend then his decision is justified but its completely unfair on the supporters who paid over 40 quid to get in and watch the reserves torn apart by Man U. Still since when did anyone give a shit about the fans? I'm suprised Wenger hasnt come out and started complaining about it. Thing is Man U would probably have beaten a full strength Wolves side anyway and their players have more of a championship ring about their names than the premier league.

Where do you draw the line though? MM should have at least warned the supporters this was his strategy beforehand.

back in the old days teams used to get fined for fielding a weakened side, I recall Leeds were in the early 70's. In the case of Man Utd they already had the title bagged and still had to play in the champions league. Although Hull did have something to play for. The rules are very sketchy but surely it was an unfair advantage for Hull to play a weakened Man U side? In any case the result didnt matter but I think the rules need sorting.

I can understand why MM did that and if they beat Burnley this weekend then his decision is justified but its completely unfair on the supporters who paid over 40 quid to get in and watch the reserves torn apart by Man U. Still since when did anyone give a shit about the fans? I'm suprised Wenger hasnt come out and started complaining about it. Thing is Man U would probably have beaten a full strength Wolves side anyway and their players have more of a championship ring about their names than the premier league.

Where do you draw the line though? MM should have at least warned the supporters this was his strategy beforehand.

Tickets presumably sold out way before they beat Spurs. If the Spurs result hadn't come off in Wolves' favour then he would've surely fielded a much stronger team against a United team that is struggling at the back just now...

It was a good move from the corner. Adebayor is beginning to look more and more like he did at Arsenal, and we're not even half way through the season. He's lost that work ethic again, and he just sulks about. His motivation on that last corner when he got rounded was just abysmal. Minimal effort. I wish I could slack off at work as much he does, and still get paid. I'd probably get the boot. What a cunt.