aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Guest Gladstone

Yup, good news I'd say.

Last season, champions Manchester United earned 52.3m in Premier League television money, compared to 31.6m for bottom club West Bromwich Albion.

West Bromwich Albion got 31.6m TV money? Holy fuck.

I'm not sure I completely get the argument here. I understand that they think it widens the gap between the "Big 4" and the rest, but surely it's completely up to Sky what they pay, and as a business they're bound to be more interested in keeping Man United happy than West Brom. It maybe isn't fair, but life's not fair. Moaning when you receive 31.6m (not that West Brom are necessarily moaning) for being shit and getting relegated isn't too bad. Man United have earned their place at the top of the English divisions over the years, it probably wouldn't be fair to just give everyone the same as them.

The figures don't make much sense, as West Brom earned more than half of what United did, but United were on TV much more than half the amount West Brom were. United averaged out to be on roughly twice a month in the league, in addition to every single Champions League game. Then there was League cup, FA Cup. The World Club thing over in Asia. I don't understand how West Brom made so much from it, or how United didn't make more. Either way.

Guest Gladstone
The figures don't make much sense, as West Brom earned more than half of what United did, but United were on TV much more than half the amount West Brom were. United averaged out to be on roughly twice a month in the league, in addition to every single Champions League game. Then there was League cup, FA Cup. The World Club thing over in Asia. I don't understand how West Brom made so much from it, or how United didn't make more. Either way.

I think it only talks of Premier League TV money - not sure if that makes any difference?

EDIT: Notice you already mentioned that point. It must be a set fee of about (e.g.) 25m per club, then bumped up by the amount of games actually televised.

Ah yes, true. The figures above must just be the figures from Sky/Setanta then. United's income would be considerably more if worldwide coverage is taken into account, as I imagine foreign countries will demand coverage of big games more than games West Brom were involved with, purely on the basis that even Spanish Football on Sky here tends to concentrate on Barca, Real, Sevilla and Valencia more than anyone else.

Guest Gladstone
So... if the English Premier League can vote not to have the Old Firm... can the SPL vote on not having them as well?

Can't see why not - I doubt it would get the support of any of the clubs though...

We probably deserve to be kicked out after touting about saying we're too big for the SPL etc. Kick us out, and then see how big we are without a league to play in. Have Celtic and Rangers not noticed how fucking crap we both are at the moment?

So... if the English Premier League can vote not to have the Old Firm... can the SPL vote on not having them as well?

That would be like when the rest of the SPL teams handed in their resignations and were going to form a breakaway league without the Old Firm. Something to do with changing the SPL voting system as they fucked up a TV deal to start their own channels.

Hopefully that will be the end of it now and they'll focus some effort into trying to improve the Scottish game. I dare say we haven't heard the end of a move away though.

Ah yes, true. The figures above must just be the figures from Sky/Setanta then. United's income would be considerably more if worldwide coverage is taken into account, as I imagine foreign countries will demand coverage of big games more than games West Brom were involved with, purely on the basis that even Spanish Football on Sky here tends to concentrate on Barca, Real, Sevilla and Valencia more than anyone else.

In foreign countries I think you can pretty much get all the games, they show them all at 3pm on a Saturday at that pub on Crown Street.

In foreign countries I think you can pretty much get all the games, they show them all at 3pm on a Saturday at that pub on Crown Street.

A few pubs around town do this. It's bloody brilliant sitting in a drinker with a different game on each TV. They seem to be on Turkish or middle east channels.

How are they getting these channels? I want in. Internet streaming is pish. I'm refreshing every 3 or 4 minutes, because it freezes, or scrambling around for another stream that works, over 5 billion streaming channels.

I think it is a different Sky box that they have that enables them to pick up foreign channels.

Guest Gladstone
longstoryshort

Setanta offered heaps of money for the rights, Sky offered less but had more security with their deal. SPL went for Setanta, with the Dons saying they weren't sure if Setanta would be the right option.

Fast forward several years... Setanta goes tits up...

Dons and the big bad old firm said "No" to Setanta, 9 other daft short-sighted clubs voted them into the Setanta deal. Good move, chumps.

Just thought of a possible factor in explaining West Brom getting so much: They get eight 'big 4' games a season whereas the big 4 only get 6 coz they can't play themselves. Maths... I'm fucking ace at it!

The TV money is split like this :

A huge chunk ( it was 22.5 million each in 07/08) just for being in the league.

A lump sum dependent on final league position (in 07/08 Man Poo got 14.4 mill, Derby got 720,000).

And then it gets topped up according to the amount of times they're on the box ( in 07/08 MU got 12.1 mill for being in 25 matches, Derby got the guaranteed minimum of 5.6 mill cos not even Derby fans wanted to watch them).