aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Just heard a rumour that Zander Diamond is going to Celtic for 850k.... That would leave us with one recognised centre back.

EDIT seems I'm not the only one who heard it.

Please, god, don't let this be true. It would be a bad move for him anyway, with McManus and Caldwell at Celtic, Zander would struggle to get a game.

Please, god, don't let this be true. It would be a bad move for him anyway, with McManus and Caldwell at Celtic, Zander would struggle to get a game.

If they do want him then it's going to happen being that we're skint and he's a bigger Tim than Hoopy the Huddle Hound.

If we are getting O'Dea in return then it won't be as massive a loss. But if we just lose him, leaving Andrew "I will either be solid or cost 80 million goals" Considine at centre half to be his schizophrenic self, we are fucked.

Aye, that boys a total liability. We do need to get in a decent central defender or two if possible. hopefully if the Zander thing it true then the fee involved will be given to MM to use in the transfer window.

Aye, that boys a total liability. We do need to get in a decent central defender or two if possible. hopefully if the Zander thing it true then the fee involved will be given to MM to use in the transfer window.

You'd like to think so, but would it be at all surprising if we sold Zander, got O'Dea on loan and none of that 850K was seen by MM for transfers or contract negotiations?

Newsflash.....Zander Diamond isn't that good! Lost count of the number of games where his defensive buffoonery has cost us valuable goals. On his day, he's a good defender, but he's been a huge liability at times...not in the Considine category, but he's hardly a saint.

Yes, the fans like him because he throws himself around and gets stuck in.....but IF we were to get 850k for him, that's probably x10 what Dinghus has got to spend at the moment.

Sounds like great business to me.....assuming the 850k is re-invested, which is probably the key concern.

That will be classic Hun style of: "This guy has been a threat against us, let's sign him and bench him to neutralise him."

Pricks.

I don't know, Aluko probably fits the mould of what Rangers are after at the moment, since they have absolutely no money. He's a young talented player with a lot of potential, a full international, and they they could get him for a snip. Plus, much as I hate the fuckers, they do have previous of buying SPL players and actually giving them a chance - Novo, Boyd, Naismith, Broadfoot, Whittaker, Thomson and Gow were all signed from SPL teams and most of them get a game. (Well, maybe not Gow).

And IMO, anyone who believes that the Huns actually buy SPL players simply to weaken the opposition are idiots.

The reason they buy from the SPL, is because they know the league inside out and because the players are cheap. As has just been mentioned, most of these players get a chance at Ibrox, so they are clearly intent of using these players. The very notion that the Bastards might buy Aluko just because they're shitting themselves about seeing him in a red shirt again is ridiculous.

Rumour on skysports.com that St Mirren face a 'huge battle' to keep hot-shot striker Billy Mehmet, with various Championship/League One clubs and even a few Turkish clubs rumoured to be interested.

Complete lack of source/naming of clubs suggests that his agent is 'at it' and trying to engineer a move on the back of Billy hitting 5 goals in one game at the weekend. He's in the last year of his deal as well so I'm smelling a fair waft of the brown stuff. He has been linked with clubs in the past but nothing ever concrete enough to suggest a move was imminent. Plus, he's average at best - I like him as a player but I'm a realistic enough Saints fan to know that he's not ever going to be a superstar. He's not even half the player that Barry Lavety was. Basher should have played for Scotland, but just made some terrible choices in his life.

I always suspected that Afonso Alves was sold for 12m on a similar basis, basically cause he couldnt hit a barn door with a beach ball at Boro and nobody had ever heard of him before his one match scoring spree for Heerenveen.

Reading back, it was a pretty misinformed and stupid statement. I just got pissed off at the thought of us losing our best players to the Old Firm. On another note, looks like Liverpool have signed Aquilani from Roma. Should be a good player for them, has been handy in the Serie A for the last wee while anyway. Whilst fit that is. Milan appear pretty close to getting Huntelaar from Madrid aswell. A good signing for them and a good move for him. I don't think they have signed anyone this summer, and after losing Kaka are in dire need of someone new in attack.

Guest Gladstone

Fucksake. Caldwell's our best defender, and good captain material. Don't want him replaced by Zander Diamond, especially at the expense of O'Dea.

I like Diamond - he's solid and committed, but I'd rather have O'Dea to be honest. If we sign Diamond, and Caldwell stays, can't see Diamond getting a game - and the usual "old firm signing everyone else's players" argument re-emerges. Although it is blatantly obvious that Diamond would be brought in to bolster our squad and not to deplete Aberdeen's.

There are hardly any players who have been signed from SPL teams to the old firm in recent years who haven't got a game. Gow is a good example, but he was signed after a decent spell, and then obviously just never cut it, or players outperformed him etc. Riordan is always quoted at Celtic, but his attitude quite clearly stank of shit. A jumped up little ned with a lot of football talent, who wasn't willing to knuckle down, and instead went running to the papers when he didn't get a game. He should have done what Chris Killen did. Keep slogging away in training, work your arse off and do your best when you get a game. Killen will get more games this season than he's had his Celtic career so far I reckon. If he outperforms the others in his position he'll get a game, it's that simple.

Aluko to Rangers - I've seen this coming for a while. Didn't he say last season or the season before he fancied playing for Rangers? Aberdeen are going to be a bit fucked really if they lose Diamond and Aluko (and possibly Miller). Best defender and captain, best striker, and best creative player (I think). It really doesn't bode well. Hope I'm wrong, cos I've got a soft spot for Aberdeen, having lived near Pittodrie for years, and attended quite a few games.