aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

I'd probably go for a faster Berbatov than a more skillful one. He's a bit clumsy with the ball at his feet trying to take players on. God, even John O'Shea kept him quiet for a full 180 minutes. Berbatov, despite being mostly shite, is slick with the ball. He's got mad skill. Just lacks pace, and effort, and emotion, and awareness, and most other traits that a striker needs.

Berbatov is the coolest player in the Premiership. He doesn't need to try like the others.

And he smokes! Which could explain his lack of pace and effort, and why I think he's so cool! :up:

ABERDEEN

Ins: Stuart Nelson, goalkeeper (Norwich);

DUNDEE UNITED

Ins: Danny Cadamarteri, forward (Huddersfield); Jennison Myrie-Williams, forward (Bristol City); Steve Banks, goalkeeper/coach (Hearts); Andy Webster, defender (Rangers, loan); Damian Casalinuovo, forward (Platense, undisclosed)

FALKIRK

Ins: Brian McLean, defender (Motherwell); Ryan Flynn, midfielder (Liverpool, loan); Marc Twaddle, defender (Partick Thistle, undisclosed); Alex MacDonald, midfielder (Burnley, loan); Danijel Marceta striker (Partizan Belgrade, loan)

HAMILTON ACADEMICAL

Ins: Marvin Andrews, defender (Raith Rovers); Izzy Iriekpen, defender (Bristol City);

HEARTS

Ins: Ian Black, midfielder (Inverness); Jesus Manuel Santana Abreu, forward (Tenerife); Dawid Kucharski, defender (Lech Poznan); Ismael Bouzid, defender (Ankaragucu); Ismael Bouzid, defender (Ankaragucu); David Witteveen. striker (Red Bull Salzburg)

HIBERNIAN

Ins: Patrick Cregg, midfielder (Falkirk); Daniel Galbraith, forward (Manchester Utd); Kevin McBride, midfielder (Falkirk)

MOTHERWELL

Ins: Michael Fraser, goalkeeper (Inverness); Steve Jennings, midfielder (Tranmere); Chris Humphrey, forward (Shrewsbury); Giles Coke, midfielder (Northampton); John Ruddy, goalkeeper (Everton)

ST JOHNSTONE

Ins: Kenny Deuchar, forward (Hamilton); Dave MacKay, defender (Livingston); Murray Davidson, midfielder (Livingston); Graeme Smith, goalkeeper (Rangers); Danny Grainger, defender (Dundee Utd, undisclosed)

ST MIRREN

Ins: Lee Mair, defender (Aberdeen); Michael Higdon, striker (Falkirk); Paul Gallacher, goalkeeper (Dunfermline)

How come all the teams around us, who we are told are in worse financial shape than us, are managing to sign decent players and all we've managed is Norwich City's reserve keeper?

Diddy cup 2nd round draw:

Dunfermline Athletic v Queen of the South

Ross County v Morton

Stirling Albion v Stenhousemuir

Annan Athletic v East Stirlingshire

Forfar Athletic v Partick Thistle

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Stranraer

Elgin City v Albion Rovers

Cowdenbeath v Dundee

YAS! More bunnet abuse!

:up:

How come all the teams around us, who we are told are in worse financial shape than us, are managing to sign decent players and all we've managed is Norwich City's reserve keeper?

I think thats a slight exaggeration - Hamilton have signed Marvin Andrews and Izzy Iriekpen, St Johnstone have signed gash and everyone else is mainly just bodies to fill gaps in squads (other than Hearts). Don't really see anyone really strengthening their side, most of the signings are patchwork!

I think thats a slight exaggeration - Hamilton have signed Marvin Andrews and Izzy Iriekpen, St Johnstone have signed gash and everyone else is mainly just bodies to fill gaps in squads (other than Hearts). Don't really see anyone really strengthening their side, most of the signings are patchwork!

Aye OK they're not world-beaters, but I'd take any number of those players for the Dons, namely Danny Cadermarteri, Andy Webster, Marvin Andrews, Ian Black, Paddy Cregg, Daniel Galbraith, Michael Fraser, Danny Grainger, Lee Mair, Michael Higdon, Paul Gallagher.... plus some of these foreign fuckers I've never heard of might turn out to be good signings.

He was an utter donkey of the higest order!

We have just signed Marc Corcoran. Dave IRL?

Corcky, Corco, Coco.... fuck me - what a player on his day. The only player I've seen in a St Mirren strip who single handedly destroyed another team. And never did it ever again. Sporting Life - Football News | Live Football Scores, Football Transfer News & Gossip, Pre-season He seemed to like cup games as well, remember him having a stormer v United in a live Sky game 2 seasons ago, my mate even text me after demanding that we sell him to United!

Biggest disappointment of MacPherson's tenure has to be not getting this guy to play to his potential on a regular basis. The guy has bags of skill and a not bad wee turn of pace, and that unquantifiable quality that makes you think "This time he will do what I hope he's gonna do"

Sadly the last time I saw him in the flesh he seemed to have forgotten that he used to be able to go past players at will, and spent most of Scottish Cup tie v St Johnstone trying to get out of Gary Irvine's pocket. Which was a right shame.

Good bloke all the same, I was at the end of season awards dinner a few days after we signed him and ended up sitting with him and his bird most of the night in the bar!

EDIT: That match report doesnt do his performance that day justice... he was immense. We thought he was going to be a superstar after that!

EDIT EDIT: Ever since he left us I have always had a wee feeling that he might be one of the players who blossoms late, in a Paul Hartley sorta way, kicks around the lower leagues until something clicks and he realises he's only got one shot at it...

Aye OK they're not world-beaters, but I'd take any number of those players for the Dons, namely Danny Cadermarteri, Andy Webster, Marvin Andrews, Ian Black, Paddy Cregg, Daniel Galbraith, Michael Fraser, Danny Grainger, Lee Mair, Michael Higdon, Paul Gallagher.... plus some of these foreign fuckers I've never heard of might turn out to be good signings.

Have you had a look at Cadamarteri's scoring record? Darren Mackie's shits all over it. As for Andy Webster, we just don't know anything about him now. I also doubt the huns would've loaned him to us, and I doubt that he would have moved if it wasn't for his connections with Levein.

There's no point looking at Hearts' signings because Hearts are morons with no long-term future. Black is a good player though.

Have you seen much of Galbraith? I haven't; all I know is he's quality on Football Manager and is coming from Man Utd.

Michael Fraser may be better than Bossu, but unless we could have punted Bertie, I didn't think another 'keeper was a priority even before we signed Nelson. What's the point in keeping Bateman hanging about the club if he's only good enough to be 4th choice? Same thing applies to Paul Gallacher.

Grainger would fill up some space in the squad. But he's one of these ones that everyone would whine about if we actually signed - "Another fucking United reject", etc., but if we don't sign them then we'll whine anyway.

As it stands, I wouldn't have minded keeping Lee Mair, for purely numerical reasons. I'm still confident we'll sign a centre back who is no worse than Mair. Not that that makes me feel good like.

Higdon is better than Tommy Wright, but unless we could find someone to take Wright off our hands, I don't think we have room for another centre forward.

Should never have let Lee Mair go for a start.

I'm still pissed off we let Steve Lovell go!

Have you had a look at Cadamarteri's scoring record? Darren Mackie's shits all over it. As for Andy Webster, we just don't know anything about him now. I also doubt the huns would've loaned him to us, and I doubt that he would have moved if it wasn't for his connections with Levein.

Jesus, yeah I hadn't realised how poor it is. I'm still thinking of him as the "promising youngster" from Everton, forgetting that was 10 years ago and he's almost 30 now. Still he'll probably bang a few in for United against us, just to piss us off.

Higdon is better than Tommy Wright, but unless we could find someone to take Wright off our hands, I don't think we have room for another centre forward.

Replace the words "Tommy Wright" with "Darren Mackie" and I agree with you ;)

The sensible side of me is saying I'm glad that we're not being short sighted enough to throw shitloads of borrowed money around and end up being totally fucked in a few years time (hello Gretna / Livi / Motherwell / Dundee), and the board have actually done well to get rid of most of our debt and it's a good long-term goal to have us be completely self-sufficient. However, the fan in me is just yelling "Why haven't we got any new fucking players!!!!!!"

We've got nae chance of a top 4 finish unless we bolster the squad, we're starting the season with last year's squad, but minus Seve, Smith and Vidal.

Replace the words "Tommy Wright" with "Darren Mackie" and I agree with you ;)

Thing is, Wright and Higdon are basically the same type of player, whereas Mackie, like him or not, offers something different, and could play on the right of McGhee's front 3.

Plus, Mackie's scoring record is better than Higdon's, despite having being played out wide quite a bit. Wright's record is a bit better, but he's never fit.

To paraphrase Lady Gaga:

I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me

Darren

Darren Mackie

Baby, there's no other superstar, I know that you'll be my

Darren

Darren Mackie

:love:

• Upvote 1

We've got nae chance of a top 4 finish unless we bolster the squad, we're starting the season with last year's squad, but minus Seve, Smith and Vidal.

Let's wait and see, Smith did absolutely fuck all last season, Vidal didn't get the chance to do much either. Fair enough Seve started just about every game but was fairly pish until the run in when he was clearly trying to impress potential suitors.

Remember, McGhee worked wonders with pretty much the same squad that had been relegation fodder at Motherwell, lets see what impact he can have with the existing players who are clearly talented if horrifically inconsistent.

I for one am delighted at Saints being able to snaffle Mair, Higdon and Gallacher, but when you take into account that we've lost Cuthbert, Haining and MacAusland from last year, signing Lee Mair is really the minimum we could expect, and unfortunately is all we have acquired. We've lost 3 of the 4 CB's we had in the squad, leaving us with Mair and Potter so far which isnt great. Higdon replaces Jim Hamilton, which is an improvement, but his scoring record isnt great and adds merely hope rather than expectation to the forward line of Mehmet, Wyness and Darg0. Gallacher is an improvement on Smith, but had Smith not been ruled out for up to a year I doubt we would have brought him in.

Yet again, we seem to be preparing for a new season without a riecognised Right Mid, and with the loss of Miranda, very few options on the left hand side (No Camara, Stevie 'ouch' Robb and Tom Brighton dont inspire confidence!)

Dont worry - the Dons arent the only ones with problems!

I think you're doing Cadamerteri a bit of a disservice there. While he's been in the wilderness for the past few years he's played at a lot higher level than Mackie and if he hadn't had personal problems could still have been playing in the EP. Needless to say there's been nobody in the EP banging down the doors at Pittodrie trying to get their hands on Mackie (well apart from his own fans). I'll be interested to see what Cadamarteri does thsi season.

Webster will do well too i think. He just needs eased in, i'm kinda hoping we end up with him permanently as he'd be great playing in the middle with Wilkie if both were fit. However, it's beneficial to Rangers to have him playing and then he might become a viable option for them. He was always a pretty solid player before his injury problems.

Thing is, Wright and Higdon are basically the same type of player, whereas Mackie, like him or not, offers something different, and could play on the right of McGhee's front 3.

Plus, Mackie's scoring record is better than Higdon's, despite having being played out wide quite a bit. Wright's record is a bit better, but he's never fit.

To paraphrase Lady Gaga:

Darren

Darren Mackie

Darren

Darren Mackie

We do need some new chants. Can't see that one catching on though....

*dons thinking cap* (no pun intended)

My favourite from recent years - "What's that coming over the hill, it's Ricky Foster, it's Ricky Foster...."

I think you're doing Cadamerteri a bit of a disservice there. While he's been in the wilderness for the past few years he's played at a lot higher level than Mackie and if he hadn't had personal problems could still have been playing in the EP. Needless to say there's been nobody in the EP banging down the doors at Pittodrie trying to get their hands on Mackie (well apart from his own fans). I'll be interested to see what Cadamarteri does thsi season.

Yes, he's played in the Premiership, but that was 7 years ago. From his Wikipedia page:

20022004 Bradford City 52 (5)

2004 Leeds United 0 (0)

20042005 Sheffield United 21 (1)

20052006 Bradford City 39 (2)

2006 Grays Athletic 1 (0)

20062007 Leicester City 9 (0)

2007 ? Doncaster Rovers (loan) 6 (1)

20072009 Huddersfield Town 44 (5)

Obviously I can't say with any sort of certainty that he won't score some goals for United, but I can say that if he'd signed for Aberdeen, Dons fans would be moaning and everyone else would be laughing. Maybe Sir Craig is the man to turn his career around though.

You could well be right about Andy Webster. If he gets/stays fit he'll probably do a job for you.

To paraphrase Lady Gaga:

Darren

Darren Mackie

Darren

Darren Mackie

To the tune of "California Girls" by The Beach Boys:

Well west coast fans are shit

I really hate those strips they wear

And the Dundee fans with the way they talk

They make us laugh when we're down there! (hahahahahaha!)

The Leith and Gorgie junkies

Home support is really shite

And the Caley boys with the way they mince

They keep their boyfriends warm at night!

They wish they all could be Aberdeen fans!

My favourite from recent years - "What's that coming over the hill, it's Ricky Foster, it's Ricky Foster...."

The Foster one is mind-blowingly brilliant. It's just a shame that nobody's ever liked him enough for it to have caught on.

Not for Aberdeen players, but I have some ideas. Examples:

"Now that it's raining more than ever

Know that we'll still have eachother

Fabio Quagliarella

Fabio Quagliarella, 'ella, 'ella

Ey ey ey

Ey ey ey ey ey ey"

"You're everything I need and more

It's written all over your face

Baby you're Felipe Melo

I pray you won't fade away

Felipe Melo (Melo)

Melo (Melo)

Melo (Melo)

Meeeloooooo"

And, of course, "George Weah" to the tune of "Hey Ya" by Outkast.

I'm interested to see how he gets on too.

You say there haven't been EP clubs banging down doors for Mackie (and rightly so), but similarly Cadamarteri has ended up at United for a reason more than just personal problems...

Webster will do well too i think. He just needs eased in, i'm kinda hoping we end up with him permanently as he'd be great playing in the middle with Wilkie if both were fit. However, it's beneficial to Rangers to have him playing and then he might become a viable option for them. He was always a pretty solid player before his injury problems.

The Huns probably see Webster as a long-term replacement for David Queer...testing the water with his loan move. If he does reasonably well I wouldn't expect United to be able to keep hold of him. He obviously has talent...will be interesting to see how his have affected him.

The Foster one is mind-blowingly brilliant. It's just a shame that nobody's ever liked him enough for it to have caught on.

Not for Aberdeen players, but I have some ideas. Examples:

"Now that it's raining more than ever

Know that we'll still have eachother

Fabio Quagliarella

Ey ey ey

Ey ey ey ey ey ey"

"You're everything I need and more

It's written all over your face

Baby you're Felipe Melo

I pray you won't fade away

Felipe Melo (Melo)

Melo (Melo)

Melo (Melo)

Meeeloooooo"

And, of course, "George Weah" to the tune of "Hey Ya" by Outkast.

A friend of mine came up with:

"He's big, he's French,

he's coming off the bench,

Bertie Bossu..."

Is it Bossu? I don't know. He knew.

Official club statement putting our financial restrictions into context:

Dons Managing Director Duncan Fraser and Director of Football Willie Miller have confirmed the Club will do everything possible to ensure Mark McGhee has as strong a squad as possible at his disposal this season.

"Of course we will support Mark as much as we possibly can, that's a given." confirmed Duncan, "However, I do think it's important to perhaps spell out where Scottish football is at present. Prior to the collapse of Setanta, we were sitting with a television deal in place and a budget that we could operate within and one that allowed us to plan for the next three seasons.

"We then appointed Mark and almost immediately, we moved to a situation of no broadcast deal, then a restricted deal and then the Sky/ESPN arrangement that is now in place.

"Bear in mind that Setanta's failure to pay the final tranche of last season's payments meant we had to wipe more than a quarter of a million pounds off the bottom line for season 2008/09. Now we are in a situation where we have to operate with an annual budget of 600,000 less than originally budgeted for next year that has the potential to rise to over 1 million over the coming couple of years. To put that into context, to plug the gap we require either four thousand extra fans at every home SPL fixture or we need to the reach the group stages of the Europa Cup every year and hope to get a couple of lucrative ties in the group. That would simply allow us to reach the original figures we were looking at with no upside. Make no mistake, every SPL club is suffering right now and I do mean every club."

Willie Miller added, "We tried to bring a couple of lads in on loan from a mid table Championship side but, given these guys were on 3,500 and 5,000 per week respectively, we simply cannot compete and equally, while we will do everything we can to support Mark, we have to ensure Aberdeen Football Club is still around in the future and, let's be frank, there are top clubs whose long term future is by no means a certainty.

"Much has been made of the players we've lost and while the absence of Scott Severin is a blow, injury meant that Jamie Smith hardly played last season while Lee Mair was not a regular starter. But, that said, we must remain positive. We have a new management team in place, the return of European football and a new season just around the corner and these are exciting times. However, it is, I believe, only right that the supporters have some idea as to the conditions we are having to operate within right now.

"There is money available to strengthen the squad and we will support Mark as much as we can to bring new players in that has started with the signing of Stuart Nelson.

We also have to be prepared to give youth its head as we have seen at Motherwell it can be very productive and the group of youngsters at present at Pittodrie are exciting and showing great promise.

"It is now the challenge for them in the coming season and beyond to prove that they are good enough to be part of the manager's first team plans.

"It is a challenging time for Scottish football but i can assure the fans that their club The Directors with myself and Duncan Fraser working closely with Mark are up for that challenge!"

*In the summer of 2008, the Dons, along with Rangers and Celtic argued the case for going the Sky deal that was on the table at that time but were outvoted 9-3 in favour of Setanta.

Aberdeen | News and Features | Club News | Club News | Dons Will Support Management Team To The Hilt