aberdeen-music

punk/metal war

metallica_jaco

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stripey
I'm bored' date=' and decide that i shall start a war between punk and metal. I think punk sucks ass, eventhough punk is more upbeat and happy i still think it sucks my balls, it takes a lot less talent to write a punk song with stupid lyrics and a power chordal riff than a metal song with shredding solos :up: Discuss[/quote']

They are both equally as dull and past their sell-by date.

Guest Nikola Tesla
They are both equally as dull and past their sell-by date.

I dont understand how you can say music can become out of date? Seeing as the classical and jazz movements are still going strong, with inventive nature being retained. Both of which were started over 60 years ago. I have no idea what your taste in music is but i find your opinion to be closed minded, and probibly retaining a very small knowledge of both metal and punk.

Guest Stripey

All that guitar crap is the music of a previous generation. All this naive retro-obsession with metal and punk makes me sick, and its just an excuse to avoid embracing new sounds and technologies and having to make some effort to be creative. What's the music of *our* generation? Aberdeen is a total cultural backwater and is about 10 years behind the times.

Guest Nikola Tesla
All that guitar crap is the music of a previous generation. All this naive retro-obsession with metal and punk makes me sick' date=' and its just an excuse to avoid embracing new sounds and technologies and having to make some effort to be creative. What's the music of *our* generation? Aberdeen is a total cultural backwater and is about 10 years behind the times.[/quote']

Once again your opinion is so close minded and lacking actual backing. Your music is no more this generation that the so called guitar crap. Considering Kraftwerk were around in the mid 70's, that renders your purist stance totaly hypocritical.

Guest Stripey
Once again your opinion is so close minded and lacking actual backing. Your music is no more this generation that the so called guitar crap. Considering Kraftwerk were around in the mid 70's' date=' that renders your purist stance totaly hypocritical.[/quote']

Read this thread http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13998

Guest The Tourist
I dont understand how you can say music can become out of date? Seeing as the classical and jazz movements are still going strong' date=' with inventive nature being retained. Both of which were started over 60 years ago. I have no idea what your taste in music is but i find your opinion to be closed minded, and probibly retaining a very small knowledge of both metal and punk.[/quote']

hah, "classical" music has been about for around 500 years now

Guest Nikola Tesla
hah' date=' "classical" music has been about for around 500 years now[/quote']

Yeah, i probibly should have made that aparant in my statement but never mind. Back to the actual topic though. Stripey i dunno how that link was meant to convince me that your music, is an advanced form of music and that rock music is outdated. I still think that rock music has a lot to offer. The electronic scene may be far more superior in technology, but i feel rock still holds the emotion. Which to me is more important in music than any technological advances. Also many of the extreme exponents of rock and electronic music now cross over into each others genres, making a rock vs electronic music argument pointless.

Guest Stripey
Yeah' date=' i probibly should have made that aparant in my statement but never mind. Back to the actual topic though. Stripey i dunno how that link was meant to convince me that your music, is an advanced form of music and that rock music is outdated. I still think that rock music has a lot to offer. The electronic scene may be far more superior in technology, but i feel rock still holds the emotion. Which to me is more important in music than any technological advances. Also many of the extreme exponents of rock and electronic music now cross over into each others genres, making a rock vs electronic music argument pointless.[/quote']

Electronic music isn't about "hey look we are using this technology". The technology merely opens up new possibilities in sound design and engineering, and electronic music is about exploiting those new tools. It is also a much more experimental and flexible scene. I don't know what kind of electronic music you have heard but the genre certainly doesn't lack emotion.

Guest Nikola Tesla
Electronic music isn't about "hey look we are using this technology". The technology merely opens up new possibilities in sound design and engineering' date=' and electronic music is about exploiting those new tools. It is also a much more experimental and flexible scene. I don't know what kind of electronic music you have heard but the genre certainly doesn't lack emotion.[/quote']

Yeah i can see were your coming from about the exprimental side your argument. Its going to be easier to expand on electronic soundscapes and create somthing differant due to ever advancing technology and tools. I just dont see how this renders the guitar based quarter of music obselete and out of date. As i said the extreme sides of rock have embraced electronic styles in order to expand their sound, i dont know how you would view this but i admit a few records have been greatly enhanced by a electronic influence. Also the electronic music i have been exposed to may not be the best examples of the genre, but imo i cudent feel any emotional connection to the likes of Aphex Twin. Although i found the music to be enjoyable it wasnt somthign i connected to.

Metal - Progressed from Sabbath's doomy powerchords, to Maiden's high-pitched gallop, to Metallica/Megadeth's balls-to-the-wall Thrash, to Korn et al's watered-down pish, to modern metal's misappropriation of Hardcore influences.

Punk - Went from savage, barely tuneful noise, by way of 3-chord New York attitude, '90s teeny-bop pop-punk, angry polictical and skatepunk, and today's "arty" punk. (Apologies if this isn't paticularly all-encompassing, it's late and I'm hardly an authority.)

"Electronic" Music - Went from being generic, digitally produced shite churned out by greasy DJs in Million-pound studios, to today's generic, digitally produced shite churned out by pasty-faced musos in their bedrooms.

I guess that's progress for you.

Guest Stripey

"Electronic" Music - Went from being generic' date=' digitally produced shite churned out by greasy DJs in Million-pound studios, to today's generic, digitally produced shite churned out by pasty-faced musos in their bedrooms.

I guess that's progress for you.[/quote']

DJ's don't produce music. They play records, and mix them in such a way as to create a continous and coherent blend of music for say, an hour, in clubs. It is an artform in itself.

Do you realise that hiphop is electronic music? Do you realise that drumnbass is the hiphop of the UK? It's not simply shitty trance music. Electronica producers such as Future Sound of London and Boards of Canda, or Amon Tobin and DJ Krush, are extremely artistic and experimental and make rock sound like cretins thrashing guitars.

You are a perfect example of why Aberdeen is so culturally retarded.

Stripey is people involved in music you like are "experimental" and "artistic" why would they turn their back on guitars,or for that matter any instrument capable of creating sound? that to me would seem arrogant,and not very "experimental, is it not just a case that they want to use digital equipment and make music that they want to, just the same as the "cretins"?

then again it might just be somone trying to be "alternative" which is just pish.

Guest Stripey
Stripey is people involved in music you like are "experimental" and "artistic" why would they turn their back on guitars' date='or for that matter any instrument capable of creating sound? that to me would seem arrogant,and not very "experimental, is it not just a case that they want to use digital equipment and make music that they want to, just the same as the "cretins"?

then again it might just be somone trying to be "alternative" which is just pish.[/quote']

I like any sound which is useful in a creative project, I just don't like the architecture of rock/punk. I like solid nasty beats and interesting rhythms, compositions, and sparse yet dark melody. I don't hate guitars, I just despise the cliched manner in which they are used.

I like any sound which is useful in a creative project' date=' I just don't like the architecture of rock/punk. I like solid nasty beats and interesting rhythms, compositions, and sparse yet dark melody. I don't hate guitars, I just despise the cliched manner in which they are used.[/quote']

Well continue doing that and just live with the fact that you find that variety of music exciting, while many others find it dull, and vice versa with guitar based music. It's a stupid argument.

Guest Electric Tibet

I like both electronic and rock music. I hate generic outdated forms of either. I feel there is a lot of overlap between bands I enjoy (Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, MBV...) and electronic artists I like (BOC, Jega, Aphex Twin...). I could talk all day about where the overlap lies but the short answer is that, to me, they are all musical and inventive.

My band recently played a gig with Kasule (a post-rock band), Frogpocket (folk avant techno) and Chevron (from Planet Mu records). A good time was had by all.

Stripey - what ARE you talking about? All you are showing is just how closed minded and stuck in your ways YOU are. Listen to Godflesh and see how metal music has been innovating and utilising beats for over ten YEARS. Check out The Rise, Sex Positions et al to hear a techno influence changing the shape of Hardcore. Yes, drum and base and hip hop are certainly interesting, but they belong exclusively to "our generation" about as much as metal, so long have they been on the go!

There are always new ways and means of looking at and playing music, and as technology is a part of that, but to brand a whole segment of music irrelevant, purely based on the tools used to make it, is absurd. Well done on being one of the most closed minded people on Aberdeen-Music.com...

My band recently played a gig with Kasule (a post-rock band)' date=' Frogpocket (folk avant techno) and Chevron (from Planet Mu records). A good time was had by all.[/quote']

That was an exciting night, with a great mix of music..........although personally it's the "beats" which irritate me (not Kerouac etc....the electronic, or man-produced repetitive drumming). I think I have turned into my folks.....remove the drums and I enjoy the music! Soooooo.....I don't like Metal,Hip-Hop,Disco etc etc, and only like certain punk-related stuff. (My favourite drummer was her from the Shop Assistants......single floor tom, no sense of rhythm.....excellent!!!!!!!!!!)

(Awaits attack by a posse of Drummers, and their horses!) :band:

Kitchen Cynics...................................only a wind-up, Frosty!..................................

I'm bored' date=' and decide that i shall start a war between punk and metal. I think punk sucks ass, eventhough punk is more upbeat and happy i still think it sucks my balls, it takes a lot less talent to write a punk song with stupid lyrics and a power chordal riff than a metal song with shredding solos :up: Discuss[/quote']

punk is happy? what the fuck...your an ignorant cunt! why can't you like both? so many bands would't exist without both...motorhead for example, mixed the two, as did sepultura, discharge...you have no idea what punk is...maybe it is easier to write, or maybe you should listen to some decent hardcore punk bands (fig 4.0 for example). their is gonna be shit in both genres and you can't dismiss either...especially seein as it is such a diverse genre...is this thread even worth discussin with an ignorant fuck like you?

I like any sound which is useful in a creative project' date=' I just don't like the architecture of rock/punk. I like solid nasty beats and interesting rhythms, compositions, and sparse yet dark melody. I don't hate guitars, I just despise the cliched manner in which they are used.[/quote']

I'm sure you'd like some progressive rock if you gave the right bands a listen