aberdeen-music

punk/metal war

metallica_jaco

I agree with Stripey on the point that aberdeen music is shite, so many people on here appreciate stale metal / punk bands way too much.

Personally don't listen to either particularly but at the end of the day any retard can play punk; there have been some really special metal bands.

I find it difficult to listen to most of todays guitar based music purely due to the amount of over-production. Pretty much all cds made in the past 5 years sound as though they are simply 'product' (which they are 'technically' but doesn't mean they should lack in soul so much.)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Aberdeen is a cultural backwater (and I don't think it is) it's because close minded idiots like stripey, with their insular ideas and total inability to actually listen to music and appreciate it, closet thenselves in their bedrooms with a computer and a load of ripped off software and wank themselves into believing they're at the cutting edge of music.

These delusional computer geeks with not even a rudimentary knowledge of music, but immersed in programming language, simply disregard 500 years of music and offer instead a series of beeps and squeeks, without a real instrument in sight and claim "look! This is the future! Put away your guitars and basses!!! Technology has made them irrelevant!"

While technology has advanced hugely in recent years, it is not a replacement for musical skill and emotion. My own studio is a mixture of digital and analogue as no digital gear can yet replace my lovely old valve pre amps. Technology is there to enhance and expand musical frontiers not replace them with soul less soundscapes created with absolutely no skill whatsoever. And don't tell me there's loads of skill involved stripey, the other day my 13 year old daughter created from scratch, using my "technology" a pop backing track for her own song in around 20 minutes by typing chords into a sequencer, telling it to generate intros and solos and an ending, then adding synth sounds. It sounds perfectly fine, if a little bubble gum, but hey, she's only 13 and can already match the bedroom techno geeks.

Don't worry though, maturity will bring the ability to actually listen and absorb.

Why is the deabate so binary?

I'm not going to claim that I've got some uber-wide taste, because I really don't but anyone who claims to "hate" metal, punk or electronic music just hasn't heard the right track in each genre yet, I think. Sticking to one genre doesn't make you a music fan, it makes you fan of the image that music gives you, I think.

I'm not going to claim that I've got some uber-wide taste' date=' because I really don't but anyone who claims to "hate" metal, punk or electronic music just hasn't heard the right track in each genre yet, I think. Sticking to one genre doesn't make you a music fan, it makes you fan of the image that music gives you, I think.[/quote']

Sounds like a sensible comment to me! I've got plenty punk, electronic, jazz, prog, folk etc in my collection, but hardly any metal. However I wouldn't say that metal is rubbish------- all music is cool!!

Slagging each other off isn't much help...........more positivity is needed. Mind you....the whole point of this thread WAS to start a war, so maybe we conscientious objectors should be quiet, and just sit back and enjoy the fun.

haha' date=' wotever you say, . I don't like the two, punk sucks balls. i dont really care wot cunts like you think and when you look at ska punk, it is happy, u dumbfuck, upbeat, they dont talk about death etc like bands like slayer does.[/quote']

ToTAllY c0Z def is da kEwleSt 666 :rockon:

dont get me wrong slayer are awesome, but i mean can you really relate to death? doesn't it get old hearing about death on EVERY song?

I'm not going to claim that I've got some uber-wide taste' date=' because I really don't but anyone who claims to "hate" metal, punk or electronic music just hasn't heard the right track in each genre yet, I think. Sticking to one genre doesn't make you a music fan, it makes you fan of the image that music gives you, I think.[/quote']

Quite right. But my point is that non musicians don't make good music. A musician, using modern technology can make a great track. Computer geeks unless they are musicans too don't.

Quite right. But my point is that non musicians don't make good music. A musician' date=' using modern technology can make a great track. Computer geeks unless they are musicans too don't.[/quote']

Not totally in agreement here....some of my favourite music was made by "non-musicians", and some of my least favourite by overly muzo types. There's nothing wrong with technology which allows people to express themselves, even without musical skill, as long as what they aspire to is their own personal vision, as opposed to trying to sound like heaps of other stuff.

Not totally in agreement here....some of my favourite music was made by "non-musicians"' date=' and some of my least favourite by overly muzo types. There's nothing wrong with technology which allows people to express themselves, even without musical skill, as long as what they aspire to is their own personal vision, as opposed to trying to sound like heaps of other stuff.[/quote']

I agree with you to a large degree. However, I've always thougt music is a little like language. I can look out my window and report that it's quite nice in my garden right now adequately, but Andrew Marvell could write a really neat poem about it beautifully.

What about Brian Eno?

Brian Eno is a musician as well as an unique producer. He is also a classic example that electronica is a product of the 70's, which means stripey is as retro as the punk and metal boys. Standing on the shoulders of giants indeed.

Mostly... but anyone can make music' date=' deciding if it's good or not is down to the listeners perception.[/quote']

A good and valid point. But people who actually listen can immediately tell whether there is any soul.

Guest Sundaram
Brian Eno is a musician as well as an unique producer. He is also a classic example that electronica is a product of the 70's' date=' which means stripey is as retro as the punk and metal boys. Standing on the shoulders of giants indeed.

A good and valid point. But people who actually listen can immediately tell whether there is any soul.[/quote']

He describes himself as a non musician, in his early Roxy Music days he couldn't play an instrument.

Electronic music pre dates Elvis/rock & roll etc, magnetic tape is a wonderful thing.

Again I think that 'soul' is a listeners perception!

He describes himself as a non musician' date=' in his early Roxy Music days he couldn't play an instrument.

Electronic music pre dates Elvis/rock & roll etc, magnetic tape is a wonderful thing.

Again I think that 'soul' is a listeners perception![/quote']

He did indeed. But I think that's just false modesty as he hated musos.

There can be soul in electronic music, but it derives from the original musicians who created the samples that are ripped off by the jigsaw puzzle boys.

I agree with you to a large degree. However' date=' I've always thougt music is a little like language. I can look out my window and report that it's quite nice in my garden right now adequately, but Andrew Marvell could write a really neat poem about it beautifully.[/quote']

As could many non-professionals who have the urge, and the opportunity. Technology sometimes offers the opportunity (as long as it's used as a tool).

As could many non-professionals who have the urge' date=' and the opportunity. Technology sometimes offers the opportunity (as long as it's used as a tool).[/quote']

Excellent point. Technology is a tool and a great and levelling tool. It is not a replacement for everything that went before.

stripey has been proven wrong me thinks!!

see how he hasn't mentioned anything for a while....

pathetic

what was the comment "drum and bass is the new brithish hip hop" or some shit like that

he obviously has no clue about anything, seeing as the brithish hip hop scene is growing tremendously. He probably couldn't even name one british rapper, apart from 'Roots Manuva'.

Excellent point. Technology is a tool and a great and levelling tool. It is not a replacement for everything that went before.

We're back in agreement again!!!

This is like some weird dance.

Kitchen Cynics...........................................doesy-doeing with the best........................

Guest Sundaram
He did indeed. But I think that's just false modesty as he hated musos.

Sorry to keep replying hehe :)

What I meant with Eno is that he didn't become an instrumental player until later on' date=' to begin with he just made sounds, bleeps and bloops etc on his VCS3 and tape machines.

It is interesting that hates muso's because some of his best work has been with one the the greatest musos of the last 30 odd years i.e. Robert Fripp. I enjoy the results of this musical contradiction a lot though!

There can be soul in electronic music, but it derives from the original musicians who created the samples that are ripped off by the jigsaw puzzle boys.

This implies that electronic music is made up of sampled sound only, when in fact it can be made up entirely from original sound sources. Obviously you know this, so I'll just zip it :)

I would just like to point out that I have actually listened to Stripey's stuff and he does come up with some interesting soundscapes. It is plain when you listen that he's not a musician as you couldn't describe it as songs as such and if you tried to play it live you would be killed. It's certainly not going to re-write musical history and it's all been done before but it's fairly competently done.

okay, I read about the firsdt 6 posts.

and why the fuck does it matter????????

why the fuck does our generation need a fucking sound???

why the fuck do we need to be new and creative and inventive and gt out of the retro clichd music that was done 40 year sago or whatever????????

why the fuck can't you just sit back and listen to the fucking music without debating wether it is the next big fuckign thing in the world?????????

you're all fucking sad.

if you like it, then you fucking like it. Now shut the fuck up.

PS Wesley Willis rules.

okay' date=' I read about the firsdt 6 posts.

and why the fuck does it matter????????

why the fuck does our generation need a fucking sound???

why the fuck do we need to be new and creative and inventive and gt out of the retro clichd music that was done 40 year sago or whatever????????

why the fuck can't you just sit back and listen to the fucking music without debating wether it is the next big fuckign thing in the world?????????

you're all fucking sad.

if you like it, then you fucking like it. Now shut the fuck up.

[/quote']

I love you, Dave.