aberdeen-music

punk/metal war

metallica_jaco

Guest Stripey

If you wanna bang on about punk and metal go back to the fuqn 80's, rip your jeans, and rock out to iron maiden.

This is what i mean about aberdeen being a cultural backwater.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail
If you wanna bang on about punk and metal go back to the fuqn 80's' date=' rip your jeans, and rock out to iron maiden.

This is what i mean about aberdeen being a cultural backwater.[/quote']

Iron Maiden? What has this to do with punk?

I'm sorry' date=' but nobody gives a shit about the bands in aberdeen, because frankly, they are rubbish. This is why the P+J doesn't cover it, this is why only a handful of people attend the gigs, this is why noone cares. because noone wants to hear a bunch of adolescents with marginal musical skills playing some shitty tunes that sound like a bad imitation of whats in the charts.

The aberdeen "punk/rock/metal/" scene is a total fringe minority, its always teh same people that go to gigs, its just a bunch of tossers patting themselves on the back and pretending they are doing something underground.

it's rubbish.[/quote']

As opposed to sitting in our bedrooms piecing together generally boring songs? Your music scene and the rock/metal scene are both miniroty groups. You go on about the aberdeen scene being a bad imitation of the charts, but you don't have a clue about either. There hasn't been any metal anywhere significant in the charts in a long time.

I just don't see why you make such a big fuss about this whole thing, live and let live, just because other people arn't doing what you're doing or listening to what you're listening to, it doesn't matter, as long as you're content doing what you do. And who gives a shit what some of your friends from Glasgow think of Aberdeen, it's fucking irrelevant.

Guest Stripey

I just find it utterly sickening the way all these kids with their stupid bands, which do nothing of any interest, think they are special, think they deserve audiences, think they deserve press coverage, think they are GOOD MUSICIANS.

You all bang on about Aberdeen having a vibrant music scene. This is total and utter rubbish, and particularly when it is the bands themselves saying they are part of a vibrant music scene.

The aberdeen music scene is saturated with generic samey bullshit.

If you want to see a real music scene, look at bristol, look at london.

Nobody cares about a bunch of kids pissing about playing rock nonsense to audiences you can count the size of on 2 hands.

Aberdeen is a total and utter joke.

Guest Sundaram
I'm sorry' date=' but nobody gives a shit about the bands in aberdeen, because frankly, they are rubbish...

except for the bands that Philip is involved with! [/quote']

Hey, thanks Stripey, mwah x :up:

Guest Stripey
I like making music in Aberdeen....it's the exact lack of trend-followers that gives Aberdeen its charm. People here can be creative (perhaps in a much-needed vacuum?)

Why be so negative.....live and let live' date=' I say![/quote']

You know the film easy rider? Aberden reminds me of the scene where the 2 guys go into a cafe, and get dirty looks because they have long hair.

Aberdeen makes me think hicksville. Aberdeen makes me think backwater. Aberdeen makes me puke.

It's not these kids who are playing in their wanky faux-punk bands that are the underground, these kids are the equivalent of the line dancing cowboy hat wearing tossers who hate hippies.

The locals in this city make me sick.

You know the film easy rider? Aberden reminds me of the scene where the 2 guys go into a cafe' date=' and get dirty looks because they have long hair.

Aberdeen makes me think hicksville. Aberdeen makes me think backwater. Aberdeen makes me puke.

It's not these kids who are playing in their wanky faux-punk bands that are the underground, these kids are the equivalent of the line dancing cowboy hat wearing tossers who hate hippies.

The locals in this city make me sick.[/quote']

So......is this your subtle way of telling us that there are one or two things you don't like about Aberdeen? :up:

ps....Philip and I are forming a cutting-edge mellotron/theremin duo.....possibly called "Mellow-min....ken?" We will be using samples of Scott-Skinner tunes, artfully woven into our 2004 take on bothy ballads meets Morton Subotnik. We KNOW there's an audience out there for us!

You know the film easy rider? Aberden reminds me of the scene where the 2 guys go into a cafe' date=' and get dirty looks because they have long hair.

The locals in this city make me sick.[/quote']

I agree we don't have as diverse a selection of clubs, music scenes, culture and street crime as a city like Glasgow or Edinburgh. I actully agree with you on a lot of counts and think there is a kernel of truth in what you're saying, but only in a few cases.

I think people like Dr.Drakes, the Fudge lot, The Captain Toms lot and many others are doing something really worth while. The resources are there. There are people who want to hear your music (well, my interest is piqued, at least) DO something. We'll see in a few years what bands mean what they are doing and who's pretending to be Blink 182 to score sullen looking girls with too much eye-liner and ironic Spider-Man rucksacks, but I know many people here are really into what they're doing. I hear a few years a go Aberdeen had NO music scene to speak of, but the hardwork of just a few has made a lot of headway. Great things come from the energetic disgruntled (heh, look at the first wave of punk...), so make great things happen.

I dont like all this rock/punk rubbish. Its all schoolkids (and university is still school)

I just want to see creativity' date=' rather than pantomime.[/quote']

Then do your thing, like Lawy Lawson says...........don't stamp your foot and pout so much.

Best of all......have a buttery!

I dont like all this rock/punk rubbish. Its all schoolkids (and university is still school)

I like some of it, but it's becoming increasingly formulaic. A lot of it IS "kid's music". A lot of it is also extremely passionate, or entertaining. But you don't like rock music. Fine. I, for example, don't really find Jazz appealing, although I understand it's appeal.

You're clearly able to make something different, so do it. I think you'll find an audience.

Guest allsystemsfail

It is not all schoolkids. Don't you ever listen? If you had any actual contact with the punk community in Aberdeen, you would know this not to be so.

The locals in this city make me sick.

Then why are you on here all the time making exactly the same post again and again? This can't be healthy. Maybe if you try talking to some real people about a topic other than digital music and without trying to prove to them how rubbish and pointless their lives and interests are, you might feel better about yourself? Or maybe get a bit of perspective?

Leper there are 12 notes, you forgot the enharmonics.

I think stripey is upset because the club scene has been slowly dying since the 80's. PA hire for raves and big club events has declined by more than 75% since 1985 but PA work for festivals has shot up by 60% since the mid 90's indicating a greater interest in guitar driven rock and pop. These figures I calculated from my own accountant's figures so they represent the real economic world and not the narcissist, fantasist world inhabited by stripey.

I really think you have to wake up and take notice stripey. Also get out a bit more. The music world has never been to big and vibrant. I take the time to go and see it, plainly you don't. I suggest you go and see Ladysmith Black Mambazo in the music hall in October. Now there's a show. I'll see you there. I'll be the guy at the front enjoying world music. I'll recognise you...you'll be the guy with the vitamin D deficiency and the calloused palms.

Guest Sundaram
Leper there are 12 notes' date=' you forgot the enharmonics.[/quote']

The music of Asia and the Middle East etc has more, the inbetween/micro tones.

Guest Stripey
Leper there are 12 notes' date=' you forgot the enharmonics.

I think stripey is upset because the club scene has been slowly dying since the 80's. PA hire for raves and big club events has declined by more than 75% since 1985 but PA work for festivals has shot up by 60% since the mid 90's indicating a greater interest in guitar driven rock and pop. These figures I calculated from my own accountant's figures so they represent the real economic world and not the narcissist, fantasist world inhabited by stripey.

I really think you have to wake up and take notice stripey. Also get out a bit more. The music world has never been to big and vibrant. I take the time to go and see it, plainly you don't. I suggest you go and see Ladysmith Black Mambazo in the music hall in October. Now there's a show. I'll see you there. I'll be the guy at the front enjoying world music. I'll recognise you...you'll be the guy with the vitamin D deficiency and the calloused palms.[/quote']

The club scene dying? What utter drivel. You think YOUR accounting figures and the business YOU do is representative of the ENTIRE UK CLUB SCENE? You are the narcissist.

You have no idea what kinds of music I listen to - i've listened to native african music IN africa, you have no idea what I do with my life, the last time you went to a club was probably in the 80's, you are totally out of touch, so take your bullshit ideas and your childish insults and fuck off back to the corner of the pub and get on with playing your covers and writing dated cliched pop.

For someone with a 13 year old daughter, your behaviour is apalling, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Actually I was in a club in London recently after going to see The New York Dolls. I didn't take any of the drugs you must take stripey, to make you so deluded but I was rather pissed. The owner was moaning to me about falling attendance and how Ibiza and places like that were killing his trade. I thought the place was heaving , but he should know, being in the business and all. Unlike you.

I can't understand why you feel everyone and everything is such a threat to you and your music. Even though you represent a musical minority, no one has said you aren't allowed to do what you want. All you do is spit and snarl like some spoilt child who is not getting the attention you think you deserve. Your ideas about what is going on in the world are so outlandish and skewed as to be riscible and you fail to realise people are laughing at you.

How hard it must be to be the only sane person in a world full of madmen. How frustrating to be the only person on the planet who is right and how galling that the rest of the world doesn't immediately proclaim you as the messiah reborn and raise you on high.

You really must learn to get on with real flesh and blood people and respect the things they want to do to express themselves. It's a fundamental right you know. You'll feel much much better. And people may even stop laughing at you.

Go on, give it a try, come on, just a little smile, oh go on...who's a cheeky boy then?

:kiss:

Quite right stripey. and you know even less about me, so let's stop fighting and try to get on, eh?

You never know where a reasoned discussion may take you.

:headbang: