aberdeen-music

My Moorings virginity

Kaizen

Think my first visit was about five years ago when Ascension first played there, thinking it was just 'another pub with a PA system'. Oh how wrong! Had some truly cracking evenings in the place, and even now I'm off the booze, there's still few other places anywhere I'd rather go to kick back on a Friday night.

:up:

Great memories of the Moorings...

Watching Monty fall off his stool and land on his face. (Before he got barred)

Watching Monty (theme going on) getting blowjobs from a really drunk girl.

The day when Flash got drunk on the temporary stage and some joker tied his shoe-laces together.

Myself falling asleep..... in the urinal.

Watching some random drunk walk home after we'd put a giant swastika on his jacket.

Great memories of the Moorings...

Watching Monty fall off his stool and land on his face. (Before he got barred)

Watching Monty (theme going on) getting blowjobs from a really drunk girl.

The day when Flash got drunk on the temporary stage and some joker tied his shoe-laces together.

Myself falling asleep..... in the urinal.

Watching some random drunk walk home after we'd put a giant swastika on his jacket.

The funniest and worst and funniest and sickest thing I ever saw (possibly in my entire life) was in mid 2002. There were 4 guys waiting to catch the ferry to Shetland, they were all in their late teens or early 20s. One of them got very drunk and passed out in a booth. We'd inherited this bottle of stuff called Coconut Cream Liqueur with the bar, and one of them came over and ordered a shot of it (no ice). It was a thick translucent white colour, and had a similar consistency to... well I'm sure you can guess. They smeared the drink all over his face and around his mouth, then 2 of them got up on the bench either side of him and whipped their tackle out, holding their dicks next to his mouth. The remaining guy had pilfered the victims camera phone from his shirt pocket. He then proceeded to take close up snaps of this poor guys sleeping face with the coconut cream plastered all over it and a dick either side of his mouth. Then they asked for a napkin, wiped the gloop off, and returned his phone to his pocket.

I'm guessing that some time later, this poor guy is scanning through the photos of his phone, sees these, checks the date and time, realises that:

A) He's got a blank spot.

B) He was is some dodgy harbour bar at the time.

And considers throwing himself over the side of the ferry. Anyway I guess his losing his Moorings virginity story is not one he goes around telling other people :)

If you can remember your first night in the Moorings, then you weren't really there...

I'm not sure exactly when it would have been, but it was probably on one of our occasional 'adventure trips' out of Radars. These usually involved a tour of the more interesting harbour bars, like the Crown & Anchor, Cutters Wharf or many others I can't remember. Or it may have been as a continuation from the Drift Inn on a Saturday afternoon, usually with Del Doublejack, Monty etc. I seem to remember Dobbies Alehouse was a favourite then too. Didn't realise Monty was barred from the Moorings btw, although to be fair, having seen many of his 'party pieces', I'm not in the least bit surprised...

The Moorings always seemed to be one of those places that, rough as it undoubtedly was, treated you well if you went in with the right attitude. If you walked in like you owned the place, you would soon find out that you didn't. Or if you walked in looking like you were shitting yourself, the regulars would soon take great pleasure in giving you reason to. But if you walked in like you wanted to get pissed, have a laugh, and let everyone else do the same, they were the best pubs in the world. Still are.

My first time was after the refurb. So would have been about 5 years ago or so? I went in with my friend Andy and the plan was to get lunch somewhere and go to The Moorings for a cheeky drink as I had work that evening. Ended up staying far longer than I meant to. Now, I'm not a gin drinker anymore....that day led to me later prancing around King Street looking like an extra from Tank Girl....and rather inevitably phoning in 'sick' to work.

Still love it though. Within handy walking distance of the bus station for that 'must catch it' last bus home.

What's the name of the pub just along the road a wee bit that's all boarded up? It's on a corner. I can only vaguely recall it ever being open, though I do remember it having massive windows. When and why did it close down?
Schooner? Its re-opened. Though doesnt open up to accomodate pill heads and ravers at 6AM anymore.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Only used to go to the Moorings to watch/play gigs and it was just another venue for me. But last year, something happened and I just fell for the place big time for some reason. Probably the realisation that I'm really far too old for Weep at 33.

I'm in there more often these days now I've quit the drink, strangely enough. I blame Champion Wrestler...

Schooner? Its re-opened. Though doesnt open up to accomodate pill heads and ravers at 6AM anymore.

Nah it's in the other direction. Must be beside where they are doing all that building.

Until someone beats my rootbeer tapper score (probably be Stuart) I'm trying Centipede.

I got in the charts for that Rootbeer thing last week. Don't think it was the high score though. Being the grown-up 29 year old that I am, my initials are in as FUD. Or maybe that was for Golden Tee? I can't remember. I usually just play Rampage.

Nah it's in the other direction. Must be beside where they are doing all that building.
Aye, thats been knocked down and being built on now. Never once ever seen it open.
I got in the charts for that Rootbeer thing last week. Don't think it was the high score though. Being the grown-up 29 year old that I am, my initials are in as FUD. Or maybe that was for Golden Tee? I can't remember. I usually just play Rampage.
Pretty sure me and Stuart the barman have top 2 scores in Rootbeer Tapper. If you haven't tried Centipede yet, dee it. its fucking ace.

That was the Harbour Bar.

It was OK but full of neds towards the end.

My girlfriend's mum used to work there, she says it was usually full of hookers. One time a hooker came in and starting talking with a guy who was obviously her pimp sitting at the bar. Suddenly he just punched her in the face and laid her out cold, and then went back to his pint. Everybody just stepped over her. Sounds like a nice place! I used to live on Virginia Street around 2001 and I'm sure I remember it being open then, though I could be wrong.

As I spouted to young Flash a couple of weeks back, I had shamefully only been to the Moorings once, to see the Garcias in 2006(?), until the past month or so... I'd gone in with an open mind and been put off by the hardcore band that followed the indie kids... oops.

I've been in a few times recently, and found it to be nothing short of a delightful place to be. Quiet enough (when I've been in) to have a pint, or raucous enough to smash it up, it's all good :D

• 3 months later...

I don't remember my first time in the moorings, I reckon it was probably around 93 when i was 18.

I do remember (hazily) gigging there a lot from the mid to late 90's when i played for bands like skint lizzy and so on. I remember there was no stage or inhouse PA at the back. Last time I was there was when i played a gig with another band back in about 2002 when there was a new stage built. I remember Flash got me a cracking guitar sound from my Marshalls that night through the PA.

I always say I am gonna pop in one day to try its tipples and see how much its changed.