aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

Imagine a time before binge watching and box sets when TV was cut up into neat little segments where everyone was happy and the bad guy got caught in the end as a smiling cop freeze framed when the credits rolled.

there were landmark shows like the prisoner and the twilight zone that satisfied the oddball in people but they were few and far between and the acting was still very much 'TV' level. Shows that were 'cinematic' were too intellectual for the mainstream (i Claudius and a bunch of period BBC imports for example)

Along comes something completely new. A show that is both tongue-in-cheek and darkly reflexive, where sometimes things aren't supposed to make sense and the plot is just one element, not the only one. The show seeps into your pores rather than slaps you in the face. Characters have their own signature theme music, scenes go on a few minutes too long, there's some of the best cinematography still ever seen on TV.

its probably lost some of its bite over the years (I still watch it every few years) but the number of shows that wouldn't exist was it not for twin peaks is hard to count. It absolutely started the renaissance of TV we see today. 

watching it is the tv equivalent of watching Citizen Kane or any 'classic' film that kickstarted a movement of any kind - it's easy to spot the moments where it doesn't hold up to today's production standards but you're missing out on history if you skip it.

I see what you're saying. But I don't see it in Twin Peaks. Yet. I'm going to plough on, I'm hoping some of the boring stuff all comes together a la signs or something. I've only watched 2 episodes. One was the Pilot. I try to never judge a series by it's pilot. Even Community's pilot was shit compared to the episodes that followed it. But even with 2 episodes, that's been 2 and a quarter hours I've watched. Even US office got good by this point.

I did laugh at the wifey with her blinds, but there's just other bits that bug me. Everything with the cops is fantastic. Her with the voice is one of my favourite characters. There just seems to be too much spotlight on people that seem to be very bad at acting. I feel like I'm the guy in a modern art gallery going "it's just some fucking shapes" and everyone else is seeing something I'm not. The first two episodes definitely have moments that make me go "ah, that's why everyone loves this so much" but the majority of it so far has made me scroll through my phone until I hear "...Diane" and I know to look back up.

Also, I know i'm young, but christ, I remember times before binging and box sets. I remember watching 3 episodes of series 2 of Bottom on VHS and the Simpsons Too Hot For TV tape. And I'm not looking for some cop drama like NCIS or something. I don't want the bad guy caught at the end and everything to wrap up nice. But this show so far, seems to have too little cop, and too much drama. Is it irony that's going over my head or something.

Like I said, I'm only 2 episodes in, and I will continue watching, I guess I just want someone to make me a "it gets better" video. 'cause at 45 minutes per episode, I could watch two episodes of Always Sunny and still have time for a wank and know i'll enjoy it.

episodes 3 and 4 picked things up a bit. I read up a bit on it, and I see what ca_gere was saying now. Feel more invested. I saw there was a film that acted as both a prologue and epilogue. So, aye, it did get better. my mrs isn't impressed though and went to do housework. if she doesn't watch them it'll mean watching the rest of them at odd times.

On 25/09/2016 at 10:04 PM, Stroopy121 said:

This on Netflix? Sounds right up my street, Eichner is awesome!

xx

Did you manage to obtain it?

I just finished season two. It just kept getting better with each episode. They also introduce a trans woman character who won't shut up about 9/11. Too good.

Julie Klausner is :love:

41 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Did you manage to obtain it?

I just finished season two. It just kept getting better with each episode. They also introduce a trans woman character who won't shut up about 9/11. Too good.

Julie Klausner is :love:

Downloaded bought from the DVD shop and it's on the pile to get through.

Just finished Preacher (fucking awesome), getting through Gotham season 2 now (also pretty awesome) then we have RuPaul Drag Race season 7, Luke Cage and Stranger things to do! Fucking TV. There's just too much.

xx

Edited by Stroopy121

Almost through with Luke Cage. It's a good laugh. the setting and the soundtrack is really great. The plot and the execution is a bit cartoony, but fun. The fight scenes are hilarious. They probably shouldn't be, but it's hard to avoid when you've got a super-strength, super-healing bulletproof man punching people through walls.

The acting of Luke Cage is a bit wooden. Cottonmouth, however, is excellent.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the last two episodes. I did like the story arcs, but I think it could have been trimmed down a couple of episodes. There's a lot of weight slowing it down.

I felt a bit underwhelmed with the finale though. Without going in to too much detail, there's a few things they purposely make really obvious, so you figure out what is going to happen. It panders to a dumb audience a little too much.

Its better than Daredevil season 1. I didn't see the second, because the first was garbage. I don't get the hype. Not a single likeable character in it.

I'm up to episode 7. Quite like it - as you say, the music and setting are great. It hasn't really kicked off in the way i thought it would, it's all a little hammy in a melodramatic way, rather than a comic book way. I kinda just wanna see some cool shit. Like action scenes and stuff. Don't really watch much comic book stuff and I enjoyed this enough to want to watch some more.

Been watching 'Son of Zorn' on actual TV. Like watching it when it comes on at a scheduled time. - hilarious.

Luke Cake -  I fucking loved it. Loved the political undertones and the references to real life.. though the Mike Tyson praise rubbed me the wrong way, given that he's a convicted rapist.. Seemed an odd choice for being swooned over. The violence could've been a bit more violent in places, I thought, but it did feel like it had to pander to a wide audience in a lot of ways.

Difficult People - Holy fucking shit I love this show so much! About half way through season 1 just now. Billy Eichner is so much awesome.

Stranger Things - I fucking hated the ending. The rest of the show was pretty good, but I don't get the megahype over it, which seems to be down to the fact that it didn't make me feel nostalgic for other, similar, TV shows and movies?

Gotham (season 2) - Better than the first one but it has some pacing issues in places and it's a long cunt of a season with 23 hour-long episodes. Still really enjoyed it though.

Rick and Morty - Loving this but my wife isn't a fan, so I'll be watching this one solo when she's at work. When I watch this I imagine I enjoy it in the same way that some people enjoy Adventure Time?

Ash vs the Evil Dead - Brilliant. All of the camp silliness of the movies with some fairly decent (without being TOO good) special effects. Fuck yeah.

10 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Just watched the last two episodes. I did like the story arcs, but I think it could have been trimmed down a couple of episodes. There's a lot of weight slowing it down.

I felt a bit underwhelmed with the finale though. Without going in to too much detail, there's a few things they purposely make really obvious, so you figure out what is going to happen. It panders to a dumb audience a little too much.

Its better than Daredevil season 1. I didn't see the second, because the first was garbage. I don't get the hype. Not a single likeable character in it.

I really liked DD season 1 but season 2 is, in my opinion, the high bar to meet for Marvel right now. I'd strongly recommend giving it a bash.

xx

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2016 at 8:20 AM, Stroopy121 said:

Rick and Morty - Loving this but my wife isn't a fan, so I'll be watching this one solo when she's at work. When I watch this I imagine I enjoy it in the same way that some people enjoy Adventure Time?

Rick and Morty is fantastic. Wouldn't compare it too much to Adventure Time, but I do see the comparison though. It's like an Adventure Time for Adults, in the same way something like Family Guy is the sweary/offensive version of The Simpsons.

Harmon did an AMA recently and just wouldn't let up about the 3rd season's release. It's coming close to that year and a half mark though, many speculate it'll be in december we finally see it.

Watching Freaks and Geeks on that there Netflix. I think Friday Night Lights has given me a real kick for schmaltzy American high school drama. It's quite funny too. Young Rogen and Franco are dicks. It's quite alright. 

Also giving Trailer Park Boys another real go. I saw Season 1 a long time ago and didn't particularly take to it. Got up to Season 4 now. Liking it a little more, but still a bit undecided on it. So far, it seems like all the gimmicks from the beginning just being reused every episode. I loved the episode with Rush, as it seemed like the first time they did something different, and put more focus on Bubbles, who is the best character.

Theres another 6 seasons left. Does it get better, or is it another 6 seasons of Ricky doing the opposite of what Julian says and Julian having to sort it all out?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Also giving Trailer Park Boys another real go. I saw Season 1 a long time ago and didn't particularly take to it. Got up to Season 4 now. Liking it a little more, but still a bit undecided on it. So far, it seems like all the gimmicks from the beginning just being reused every episode. I loved the episode with Rush, as it seemed like the first time they did something different, and put more focus on Bubbles, who is the best character.

Theres another 6 seasons left. Does it get better, or is it another 6 seasons of Ricky doing the opposite of what Julian says and Julian having to sort it all out?

I'm not sure if it gets better, or if over time you get used to the bad acting and that. Some properly LOL moments. Then the director/showrunner left and netflix bought it and now the cast writes the episodes and what little nuance there was, is completely gone. Season 10 was particularly terrible. The newest "season" where they do a tour of Europe and do tasks to get money is good. But the acting is still bad and the green screen is worse. 

Season 1 starts slow and doesn't go anywhere. I watched it in a day while smoking and loved the fact they ended up back in jail. So I stayed with it and it got funnier until season 8. Season 8 was the beginning of the end. 

I've got to give props to them though, they are actually implementing the popularity of the show in to the show. Season 10 sees celebrity fans visit the park. Which was cheesy, but would happen. US Office's finale with almost no one turning up to the Q&A? So unbelievable. 

I've been watching Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Daredevil. In that order. I know I did it out of order. Made it kind of cooler though. Things mentioned in passing in LC was like "oh I wonder how this happens in JJ". Trying to get through DD as fast as possible to get to The Punisher. Heard he's the best Punisher so far.

On 11/13/2016 at 9:02 AM, Soda van Jerk said:

It doesn't get any better as such. A bit like It's always Sunny, you just get more used to it. There's enough funny stuff in there to make it watchable for about 6 or 7 seasons. I didn't go farther than that. Bubbles definitely gets his screen time in later episodes. So maybe it does get better, i dunno. It's not totally shit and kept me laughing for a shitload of episodes so i'd say stick with it. 

I didn't realize netflix bought the show. Makes sense because I see it every time I look on there. I haven't seen any of the live shows or anything that's self-aware. That sounds pretty awful.

Cool. I'll keep going.

I do like the shit acting and the lo-fi production. It's more Ricky, and how he just does the opposite of what Julian says all the time, which I find wears thin quickly. I also don't understand the relationship between Julian and Lahey/Randy. Sometimes they're cool and they're fist bumping. Other times Lahey and Randy are trying to get him back in to jail, often without any real context as to why the relationship has flipped.

J-Roc is great though. The white-trash 'wigger' is an underused character in general.

Are the movies worth a watch too?

I got about 2 episodes in and got pretty bored - is this one of those shows I should power through for a few episodes before it "clicks" or did y'all like it pretty much immediately? I've watched a super-cut of the best Ricky-isms and thought it was pretty great, but couldn't see much of that in the episodes I watched..

xx

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 8:07 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Rewatching some of early ones again, and I'm liking it a lot more now. So many jokes you miss the first time around. Especially Ricky using incorrect/made-up words.

It's the little bits that you'd miss if you don't have the subtitles on. Really funny moments kind of hidden away, whereas the big obvious in your face jokes are very hit or miss.

On 11/15/2016 at 7:44 AM, Stroopy121 said:

I got about 2 episodes in and got pretty bored - is this one of those shows I should power through for a few episodes before it "clicks" or did y'all like it pretty much immediately? I've watched a super-cut of the best Ricky-isms and thought it was pretty great, but couldn't see much of that in the episodes I watched..

xx

Like living in Sunnyvale, it really helps to be high while watching Trailer Park Boys. Very much made by and for stoners.

Been doing my yearly "right i've watched too much archer and sunny... what's new... aw fuck it, havent watching The Thick Of It in a while" The Thick of It rewatch. Still amazingly funny, razor sharp wit and biting satire. It's funny watching stuff and the "don't say swarming" moments you're like "politicians should watch this and maybe they wouldn't make the same mistakes." Was a bit uncomfortable when Hugh made a joke about being treated like a registered nonce though. yuck.