aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

it's okay though. the mrs gets paid on monday. I'll be rolling in bus passes.

I'm sure your girlfriend loves you scrounging money off her because you were so fucking stupid you lost your own bus pass.

To be fair, learning to drive/having a car is so so expensive, especially now. Costs me a bomb.

To be honest I learned to drive so that I can say that I have and don't have to do it in the future. I don't see myself getting a car, insurance, petrol, tax etc because it's just too damned expensive. It was about £1,000 just to get the fucking piece of pink plastic to allow me to drive one!

You seem like the most reckless person of all time, and just laugh it off with "ah, someone else will fix it for me", so you never learn to not be a dick. Stop being a dick.

Yeah, you've got me. I'm proper reckless. I live a reckelss lifestyle and let others pick up the pieces. But you pointing this out as shown me the light, so to speak. I'll change my ways now.

Stop being a dick.

Me and my gf have a system. She gets paid just as I get skint and I get paid just as she gets skint. We lend each other money. As for the passport, I was due to get one. it's no biggie, for anyone but me. I don't seem the problem.

Yeah, you've got me. I'm proper reckless. I live a reckelss lifestyle and let others pick up the pieces. But you pointing this out as shown me the light, so to speak. I'll change my ways now.

Stop being a dick.

Me and my gf have a system. She gets paid just as I get skint and I get paid just as she gets skint. We lend each other money. As for the passport, I was due to get one. it's no biggie, for anyone but me. I don't seem the problem.

In amongst all the jokish comments, you do strike me as someone with a somewhat naive attitude to money. That's not me attacking you at all, LOTS of people are like that. I'd class my own parents are being like that and this is part of the reason I like to try and save all the time (sadly I am not averse to GAS either as you may have noticed - but it is all about balance).

Scraping a living from one pay cheque to the other like that is not a good way to live. I'm not saying you need a detailed financial plan and to count every penny but you should never find yourself with no money at all. Correct me if I am wrong, but you have a half decent job, and live in a council flat which has dirt cheap rent and your gf works too? That's hardly poverty.

I am pretty sure if you took a few simple measures and thought about what you spent everything on you could save a fair bit and allow yourself the luxury of buying that bass amp or whatever. Order less takeaways and make your own or get from the supermarket, drink at home before going out, don't go out as much, eat out less in restaurants etc. It all adds up fairly quickly. You don't suddenly have to become a prude who stays at home all the time to get savings.

I've been a student for the last 5 years with no help from my parents at all (my mother and her husband are currently unemployed and living off the dole since quitting her job and moving to Banff last year - that shows you some of the stupid decisions they make with not only money but other stuff too) and through working when I can and being a bit smarter with purchases thankfully I never find myself with no money. Having a relatively small overdraft and remembering you are spending money that is not yours makes it very easy to say no to things!

• Upvote 1

Scraping a living from one pay cheque to the other like that is not a good way to live. I'm not saying you need a detailed financial plan and to count every penny but you should never find yourself with no money at all

I agree, but it is difficult, especially in Aberdeen where everything is mentally expensive. I was in a much better position financially a couple of years ago. I get paid a fair bit more now than I did back then, but moving from a council flat to a private flat totally ruined me. As did the recent hike in gas and electricity, which was utterly ridiculous. I'd be pretty flush if I still lived in a council flat. Now I pay almost 3 times the amount of rent that I used to.

I'm reasonably sensible with money, though I did buy a holiday and an amp this year. Probably shouldn't have done that within a couple of months from each other.

I agree, but it is difficult, especially in Aberdeen where everything is mentally expensive. I was in a much better position financially a couple of years ago. I get paid a fair bit more now than I did back then, but moving from a council flat to a private flat totally ruined me. As did the recent hike in gas and electricity, which was utterly ridiculous. I'd be pretty flush if I still lived in a council flat. Now I pay almost 3 times the amount of rent that I used to.

I'm reasonably sensible with money, though I did buy a holiday and an amp this year. Probably shouldn't have done that within a couple of months from each other.

Yeah, I lived in a private flat when I lost my old job. That totally ruined me and I still haven't paid back that overdraft that I needed to take out. This month's skintness is down to a couple of things not coming off when they should have. I got a restaurant bill coming off almost 2 weeks after I ate there. That's just stupid. 2 weeks later I was checking my bank and had forgotten about it, and went and spent money I technically didn't have. Totally did me in. I bought some cds that I only bought 'cause I thought I could afford it. Then the bill for Frankie and benny's came off and I was in the shit. It happens.

Also, I spent about £100 when I went out for Dubya's birthday. So, blame him for my money problems.

Something that's saved me a shit-tonne of cash is not taking my debit card out with me. I'll just put 30quid in my wallet with my id and go out, so I can never spend that much in clubs. If I get shitfaced and feel like buying everyone a drink I can't.