aberdeen-music

Neil Leyton @ Moshulu

Stephen

Dunno if Alex has the internet/uses this site too much, but I'll let him know.

What an awesome night! Great bands, good people, and punters actually came to the gig! True testament to the fact if you work your ass for a show, people go. And not just the usual scene types either.

Looking forward to Sunday now....

aye, once again big thanks to chris for busting his balls promoting the gig, and to Alex as well. The bands were great, and brilliant people, and i'm glad everyone seemed to enjoy it. I have to say I enjoyed the other bands' sets a good deal more than ours - we'll be much better in glasgow! Always a pleasure to come up to aberdeen though. :)

I may have been photographed at the end of the evening planting slurpy kisses on brian fudge's head. Deary me....

Chris - if we're gonna do this moorings thing in august, maybe we could sort out a return leg in edinburgh?

Enjoyed my night although Moshulu is easily the hottest venue in the world. Shouldn't have bothered waiting for the raffle at the end as it was a shambles. *bitter* James called out 8-15 and 17-21 and I was 16. Damn your eyes lad!

Cherrykicks were once again amazing, disappointed with Radio Lucifer [i think I was expecting too much though and it is only their 2nd gig] I prefer the Tijuana Switchblades stuff but they don't have such a piratey bassist, Deadenstereo were good and Neil Leyton was good but didn't think the bill really suited that style of music. After the out and out rock of the Kicks and Lucifer it seemed a bit strange to hear more chilled out stuff. Plus Rich Jones was in Amen so you expect a certain level of punk ;)

No discredit to them they were good but after all the hyping up and waiting for stage times I admit to being slightly disappointed. An acoustic set in Drakes would have been ultra pleasing though :)

Anyways cheers for putting it on and you must've been chuffed that so many people turned out on a Thursday night at Moshulu - the joys of putting on a really strong four band lineup :up:

I legged it from work, caught the Cherrykicks, who were pretty good, but thought they were better with the Wildhearts a while back.

Radio Lucifer - hmmm, only the second gig, so I don't wanna be too critical. I think Johnny is an ace frontman (although so deaf he can't hear a crowd that actually shouts to him, thus declaring us "dead inside" - an advert for ear plugs if I ever saw one....) and Jimmy is entertaining as hell (especially when disconecting himself from an amp mid song), but I think the band will find a firmer sound as they progress. The closest comparison I came up with was The Bronx, but the choruses don't yet shine through, and I would heavy-up the few hardcore breakdowns they have. Not a bad showing for a second gig though, and I look forward to future shows, but I would rather have seen PaGG or WBL....

Deadenstereo - not my thing, and legged it early so I could actually get some sleep before work. Wish Neil had been on earlier, but it wasn't to be....

'Twas a good night. Radio Lucifer's set was indeed a touch shoddy due to onstage sound issues and some, almost heroically, bad guitar playing from myself. Badly played but executed quite well I thought.

The Cherrykicks were ace as usual and I was pleasantly surprised by Deadenstereo. Not at all what I thought they would have sounded like.

Neil Leyton makes me cry. He is awesome and, if it were possible, I would have his babies. Who would've thought playing drums was so much fun?

And we get to do it all over again on Sunday in Glasgow. Rock, and indeed, roll.

Well done Chris and Alex! :up:

Cherrykicks were once again amazing' date=' disappointed with Radio Lucifer [i think I was expecting too much though and it is only their 2nd gig'] I prefer the Tijuana Switchblades stuff but they don't have such a piratey bassist, Deadenstereo were good and Neil Leyton was good but didn't think the bill really suited that style of music. After the out and out rock of the Kicks and Lucifer it seemed a bit strange to hear more chilled out stuff. Plus Rich Jones was in Amen so you expect a certain level of punk ;)

Yeah? I thought it ws quite nice to have the difference between the two styles of music - keeps things varied. Though I didn't expect the Cherrykicks to rock so hard!

I was very impressed with Neil Leyton - wasn't expecting him to sing like that!

What's this beach thing? Am I gonna hve to get sand in my amp? ;)

Craig

yeah, last night was much better overall. Radio Lucifer came across tighter and, as you say, more confident - what a show! Neil Leyton and co were incredible, much better than in Aberdeen (and they weren't too bad there). I actually thought they benefitted from cutting the acoustic set in the middle down a bit. I was totally transfixed by them, one of the best performances i've seen, and especially good for being in such an intimate venue. I got hold of the 'my new soul' EP last night, and it sounds great.

It was shame the Cherrykicks had to rush their set a bit, but they brought the rock nonetheless - if only I'd had the money for a tee-shirt! Though maybe not one as gay as jon's... :)

Well, I have to say i really enjoyed that whole experience, great bands, great fun, lovely people. Hopefully we can all get together again soon.

I'm just depressed i have to go and work in tesco's now :(

(although so deaf he can't hear a crowd that actually shouts to him' date=' thus declaring us "dead inside" - an advert for ear plugs if I ever saw one....) [/quote']

This has indeed been identified as a problem. Again, on Sunday, I asked the audience if anyone knew what the score was in the England game; seventy-five people (apparently) shout: "2-1 France." I hear: "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*click*click*click*eeeeeeeeeeeee."

I'm getting earplaugs as soon as I can afford a decent pair, in the meantime, enjoy some photos from the gig:

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/index.html