aberdeen-music

Black Metal!?

N.M

Following the large amount of replies I recieved on my recent "Death Metal!?" thread, I'd like to rack the minds of you listeners again, only this time on Black Metal.

So yet again, cheers in advanced for any replies. Every one of them will be greatly appriciated :up::rockon:

well, there are the essentials to black metal.

in an ideal black metal world, all posers would be gathered inside a church and this would then be burnt down, at the 6th hour of the 6th day of the 6th month. All music would be tr00, kvlt and raw, and bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth would eb sodomized, the entire worl would speak either Latin or Norwegian.

But there aint really an ideal black metal world.

But there is still black metal.

And the main bands have got to be:

-Darkthrone

-Mayhem (the pre-Gayhem days, mainly anything befor Euronymous died, although I'll let them off with Wolf's Lair Abyss)

-Burzum

-Gorgoroth

but there are other bands people should check out.

the more popular names should include stuff like Nargaroth, impaled nazarene, graveland, krieg, 1349, satyricon, absu, melechesh, judas iscariot, isengard, vlad tepes, destroyer 666.

and some of the more underground ones, or 'troo and kvlt' ones include

skaldic curse, eminez, gehennah, azaroth, nekroforest, nephilium, barzakh(tee hee hee) and more.

thats my two cents really. although, since I am in the most unholy of all that is unholy bands, the mighty Norwegian Blasphemous Black Band VOMITUS, I'll no doubt be back to this thread later.

I'd agree that Darkthrone would be the Best out of a bad bunch...

I think that black metal is a joke, only morons would be just as extreme as the "thing" they are rebeling against...(i.e. christianity).

I once asked a namless moron in one up (Identity kept a secret as not to embarras the poor short arse , short sighted cross dresser)

"do you belive in Jesus?"

"no, I don't"

"do you believe in Satan?"

"yes, of course I do"...

and there lies your argument that only morons "get into" death metal. (in the true sense). (i.e. not just appreciating a good fast riff, and some growly vocals...stick with "death metal", it more fun, and less anal)

PS, if you really want to experience some really bad "satanic music", check out GGFH (global genocide, forget heaven)...that'll make you laugh till you cry.

PPS,. here is the webshite, warning, may contain images that will make you piss yourself (white wee wee, if you are young and impressionable).

http://www.ggfh.com/

I'd agree that Darkthrone would be the Best out of a bad bunch...

I think that black metal is a joke' date=' only morons would be just as extreme as the "thing" they are rebeling against...(i.e. christianity).

I once asked a namless moron in one up (Identity kept a secret as not to embarras the poor short arse , short sighted cross dresser)

"do you belive in Jesus?"

"no, I don't"

"do you believe in Satan?"

"yes, of course I do"...

and there lies your argument that only morons "get into" death metal. (in the true sense). (i.e. not just appreciating a good fast riff, and some growly vocals...stick with "death metal", it more fun, and less anal)

[url']http://www.ggfh.com/

While satanism is clearly important to black metal music, I don't think its central as you suggest. Since it portrays a grim, evil side of human nature it inevitably became the most noticable facet of early black metal. But its still only one part of it. Most people I know that are into black metal aren't 'rebelling against' christianity at all, they just appreciate good cold, grim music.

Also, I think I know who you're quoting and its unfair because, although local authorities may not recognise it, he is severely disabled.

severely disabled ?...no, just a smidgeon fucked up.("not the full shilling" isn't really "severely disabled"...)(ps, I think I know who you think I am thinking about, but its not him, or his brother)

As for the "need for Satanism in black metal", I'd disagree and say that the defining element of "black metal" was the "satanic element", otherwise, it'd be death metal.

I used to listen to several "black metal" bands, but always cringed at their lyrics, and imagery. And, when you are young and impressionable, it's always a worry that seeing the antics of yer favourite Norwegian makeup wearing, priest hating, fellow band mate killing ways "might" make you try something similar (if you don't have a level head on your shoulders..and as we've already said, there are a few people who like black metal that are in the "high risk" category...if you know what I mean).

PS, if only "bleak / dark" music was "black metal", GYBE! might be considered black metal? nes pas ? (or are they too slow ? so what about GGFH ?)

severly disabled ?...no' date=' just a smidgeon fucked up.("not the full shilling" isn't really "severly disabled"...)(ps, I think I know who you think I am thinking about, but its not him, or his brother)

As for the "need for satanism in black metal", I'd disagree and say that the defining element of "black metal" was the "satanic element", otherwise, it'd be death metal.

I used to listen to several "black metal" bands, but always cringed at their lyrics, and imigary. And, when you are young and impressionable, it's always a worry that seeing the antics of yer favourite norwegian makeup wearing, priest hating, fellow bandmate killing ways "might" make you try something similar (if you don't have a level head on your shoulders..and as we've already said, there are a few people who like black metal that are in the "high risk" category...if you know what I mean).[/quote']

I wasn't referring to those troubled boys.

For me, the satanic element is only a single part of the whole grim, evil, yet slightly amusing black metal package that I enjoy. I am not a satanist, so it cannot be anymore than that for me. I can't speak for other black metal fans.

You're right though, in the wrong hands the black metal ideologies could taint the troubled. But if black metal didn't exist they'd simply be tainted by something else.

It doesn't help that interviews with black metal pioneers prove them to be total fucking idiots. However, that was more in the early days, today black metal is not entirely plagued with stupidity. Besides lets not forget the influence its had on other genres bringing vocal styles to iron monkey, and influencing various sludge bands.

But if black metal didn't exist they'd simply be tainted by something else.

true, but even if these "misfits" found christianity, (god forbid..ho ho...hold on?!...) they wouldn't be as destructive (spray painting churches, killing animals etc)...

I hear you though... It's good to see you have pretty much the similar view I come from (don't get me wrong, I loved a slab of Darkthrone, as I've said).

I just think that the bands making this type of music don't think of the full picture, the "on the edge kids" who might get into them etc. (and especially with that nutter murdering someone because of his views (can't remember the band's name)...what sort of messages are they giving out ?!

Mind you, I imagine "Styrper" made a few people go nuts and kill things...he he

stryperlogo2.jpg

I know you weren't referring to the two brothers, since you mentioned short sighted. But by that I do know who you are talking about, and he is disabled. Epilepsy is one of his disabilities, among others. Hence why I agree with Thoth that it aint really fair to "pick on him"

And Black Metal being impressionable upon youth who don't have a level head on their shoulders is true. But its the same for any music. Ozzy fans have committed suicide and murdered, Slayer fans have dismembered a female friend of theres and then raped her corpse. Neither of these bands are black Metal, and Im pretty sure even Led Zeppelin fans have done stupid shit (can't really name any 100% true cases though).

Even computer games, for one firm example, Grand Theft Auto, cos kids and peopel go off the rails.

So, Black metal aint just to blame, everything today is "impressionable", especially on people that don't have a level head. Thats just humanity, if black metal didn't kick them off, then something else would have.

The amount of church burnings, murders, suicides, rapes, vandalism within the black metal scene is a tiny percentage of the entire black metal fanbase. Its higher than in most forms of music (which is, well, ashame), but still, you can't generalise that every fan of black metal is going to one day light a torch, stick on corpse paint and a bullet belt and march up the hill, dragging a naked sacrificed virgin kicking and screaming by her hair, tie her to a crucifix in a church and and set the thing ablaze when all the planets are aligned as a pentagram now can you?

Black Metal is music, some of it with extreme views, but its not the only one. As long as you are intelligent enough to get past that, I don't see why it can't be just as good as any other(as long as you enjoy that style).

As for GGFH, "Dead Men Don't Rape" is a fucking quality song! And the Red Harvest cover is just as good!!!

Infact some of Impaled Nazarene's stuff is quite good aswell but not in the like of Darkthrone and Immortal but good to listen to.

I would go for Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Immortal-At The HEarts Of Winter

and Darkthrones - Transilvanian Hunger

to get the the real sense of black metal.

To me all real black metal sounds pretty much like the quality of "the red in the sky is ours" (at the gates)

to be poerfectly honest Chris, I didn't think you would have EVER heard that album. Good on you!!!

As for the statement about all "true" black metal being unlistenable, there are bands out there that are very well recorded and tuneful.

examples:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Satahanas(very true, yet very well recorded with TONS of melody and spectacular drumming)

Emperor - Emperial Live Ceremony(one of the last Emperor gigs ever recorded in London Astoria 2, fuckin AMAZING quality, and Emperor's guitar parts, drum lines and vocal delivery are OUTSTANDING by any standards)

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter(well recorded with some beautiful melodies

.vox are a bit toad like, but once you get used to that, fuckin quality album)

Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising(you heard one of the songs off this Chris, "I Am The Wargod". Best basslines Ive ever heard on a true black metal album, with melodic and crazy riffing guitars, full on speedy as fuck drumming and a vocal delivery that is beautiful, even if it is in an Australian accent).

thats just to name but a few.

Of course, I can understand why the likes of Nargaroth, Skaldic Curse, Azaroth, Gorgoroth won't be your thing.

Epilepsy is one of his disabilities, among others. Hence why I agree with Thoth that it aint really fair to "pick on him"

Hmm... Just because he's epileptic, doesn't mean he can't be educated, have an infomed opinion etc..

Epileptics are not "thick" or "stupid", as a whole...but this one is.

According to Anton LaVey, Stupidity is a cardinal "sin" of a satanist. I think someone is breaking that rule...

I think "The Red in The Sky is Ours" is a rubbish album, as is "With Fear I Kiss the Burning darkness"

I was put off At The Gates for a long time cos those were the first two albums I bought by them. Of course later I discovered Slaughter of the Soul and Terminal Spirit Disease which are both far superior. Of course they were the fore runners of melodic(ish) death metal...

Black metal however, I am generally not a fan of. I noticed Emperor got a bit of a late mention, and thought they should definitely be heralded as greats in the genre. I also find C.o.Filth to be one of very few black metal bands I can vaguely listen to, possibly due to their accessabilty.

I think the blast beat drumming and lord of the rings style vocal often puts me off, and the songs are written around classical music scales rather than the more groove-vibe of death metal. Oh, and the corpse paint and spikes... It looks fucking ridiculous! Black metal is meant to be serious, yet most of the bands look like fucking clown shoes. Gid een.

But whatever floats your boat...

As for the "need for Satanism in black metal"' date=' I'd disagree and say that the defining element of "black metal" was the "satanic element", otherwise, it'd be death metal.

Totally untrue. BM, to my ears anyway, is fairly easily distinguished from death metal. I think you'll find that most who use satanic imagery in heavy metal are not doing so to express any sort of genuine satanic belief, more for theatrical effect. It can appear pretty daft, but that's not really the point. Anything that is slightly surreal or not 100% matter of fact can appear daft. There are plenty of BM bands who actively dissassociate themselves from the satanic stuff.

I think the blast beat drumming and lord of the rings style vocal often puts me off' date=' and the songs are written around classical music scales rather than the more groove-vibe of death metal. Oh, and the corpse paint and spikes... It looks fucking ridiculous! Black metal is meant to be serious, yet most of the bands look like fucking clown shoes. Gid een.

But whatever floats your boat...[/quote']

Thank fuck black metal doesn't have a 'groove-vibe' as you describe. Whatever that is, it sounds awful.

There are black metal bands such as Khold and Goatwhore who ration thier blast beat sections, and downtune. Perhaps the death metal fan could enjoy them.

to be poerfectly honest Chris' date=' I didn't think you would have EVER heard that album. Good on you!!!

As for the statement about all "true" black metal being unlistenable, there are bands out there that are very well recorded and tuneful.

examples:

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Satahanas(very true, yet very well recorded with TONS of melody and spectacular drumming)

Emperor - Emperial Live Ceremony(one of the last Emperor gigs ever recorded in London Astoria 2, fuckin AMAZING quality, and Emperor's guitar parts, drum lines and vocal delivery are OUTSTANDING by any standards)

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter(well recorded with some beautiful melodies

.vox are a bit toad like, but once you get used to that, fuckin quality album)

Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising(you heard one of the songs off this Chris, "I Am The Wargod". Best basslines Ive ever heard on a true black metal album, with melodic and crazy riffing guitars, full on speedy as fuck drumming and a vocal delivery that is beautiful, even if it is in an Australian accent).

thats just to name but a few.

Of course, I can understand why the likes of Nargaroth, Skaldic Curse, Azaroth, Gorgoroth won't be your thing.[/quote']

Well i may give some of them a second listen!!