aberdeen-music

Noisy neighbours

Metarie

For the last year or so I've been dealing with some really obnoxious neighbours and despite trying to talk to them repeatedly about the noise levels I'm getting nowhere. Last time I went upstairs to complaing I got a mouthful of abuse from some guy which left me really shaken and then had them banging on my door 'to apologise'. It's not even just music at night, as soon as they come home around 5pm the bass starts, there's bangs and crashes and I can hear their TV through my ceiling. Not to mention the thundering up and down the stairs at 3am.

It's getting to the point where I know they see me as a pain in the ass and I reckon they find it really amusing to piss me off. I've tried reasoning with them, asking to keep the bass down, to move speakers off the (poorly insulated wooden) floor but nothing is working.

Has anyone made a complaint about neighbours and had it be dealt with properly? I'm reluctant to make a formal complaint but I don't know what else I can do. It's regularly becoming a problem and interfers with what I do in the flat and after complaining to them face to face last time I'm actually too chicken shit to go up and face them again.

I've had an ASBO given to a neighbour before (not for noise, he was breeding German Shephards in a 1 bedroom flat). It's a long, long, long, drawn out process that got to real extremes before it could get to that stage. Before it was over the guy had threatened to kill everyone and tried to attack me with a lead weighted mallet.

First port of call should be the council. They'll give you advice on what to do.

Antisocial Behaviour Investigation Team (ASBIT)

Wirelessly posted (LG/KU990-Orange/v10f Browser/Obigo-Q05A/3.6 MMS/LG-MMS-V1.0/1.2 Java/ASVM/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Jesus chris, way to put people off. I'm sure not every situation will have similar results to chris' though his did need to be done. If you've spokenuum them and they've persisted then they've only themselves to blame.

To be honest it's not so much the noise as the utterly anti social nature of it. Like I say, when I did go up last I got a balding, toothless 30 year old guy right up in my face, coked off his nut telling me to fuck off because I couldn't make a complaint unless it was after 10pm at night.

I went downstairs and had a proper freak out about it, not helped by them pounding on the door half hour later shouting apologies at me. I'm not easily intimidated by things but living alone doesn't make this an easy situation to deal with.

To be honest it's not so much the noise as the utterly anti social nature of it. Like I say, when I did go up last I got a balding, toothless 30 year old guy right up in my face, coked off his nut telling me to fuck off because I couldn't make a complaint unless it was after 10pm at night.

I went downstairs and had a proper freak out about it, not helped by them pounding on the door half hour later shouting apologies at me. I'm not easily intimidated by things but living alone doesn't make this an easy situation to deal with.

if anything, stick to your guns, but film it (secretly if need be). At least you can prove that they are being the cooonts that you say they are.

We had a psycho upstairs neighbour - well, to my then Girlfriend (Gabi) - he was nice as nice pence to me (pussy bastard). He used to come home drunk, jump up and down, loud music , washing machine on at 3 am - if we banged on the roof, he'd go ballistic. We got the police out several times, they give him the usual "be nice mister", and fuck off - then he'd just go even more bonkers.

the last time he did (a Tuesday night 3am) - we just upped and left to stay at Gabi's mum n dads in Skene. We then looked for a house after that, and serendipitously found the perfect place the next day.

I wish you luck - keep a log & video as much as you can - solid for prossicution, if it comes to it.

Get evidence, and if it persists long enough, go to the police.

Thats what I did, and contrary to Chris's experience, mine was over fairly quickly and they eventually moved out after getting an ASBO. (Maybe 1-2 months)

And if he is toothless and off his face, chances are the police have had encounters with him before.

Been right through this with a pal last year. You need to contact the ASB unit (linked by Chris), the Landlord/letting agents (who can be held equally liable under Scots law) & if needed, the police - usually if the noise persists after 3am, when the ASB inspectors knock-off or if you get threats etc. I will say now that the police don't place a high priority on attending noise complaints & one of the biggest stushies we had last year was when they closed a call without attending over a complaint about party noise & other significant misbehaviour at 5am.

As for making a complaint - You can do that about noise/misbehaviour at any time but you will have to clearly demonstrate the antsocial element if it is before 10pm as the law does recognise there are times when an amount of noise can be "normal" - To that end, you need to keep a detailed diary, with times, dates & accurate descriptions of the nusiances. If they leave mess, cause damage in any common areas etc or leave the front door open for folk to come & go, you should also note this as it is a serious breach of tennancy conditions & responsabilities that can affect everyone in the block.

It might also be worth having a word with your other neighbours as IME, nothing helps you case along like a few countersignatures or supporting letters.

Photos/videos are useful but don't put yourself at risk over getting them as a diary is of equal value as evidence.

Good luck in getting this sorted out. :)

I've been complaining to my friends about my 'noisy' neighbours... Playing guitar really loudly (and badly) and just general noise upstairs... but it's actually 'good' noise compared to this... Least they're not intentionally causing a nuisance.

Good luck with sorting it out! :up:

probably someone on here...

tip off the drug squad

thatll learn em!

Really?

Unless they're dealing and happen to have a significant amount on the premises when Plod visits the most they'll get is a slap on the wrist.

I'm sure they'll manage to figure out who grassed them up even if they are coked out of their nuts.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

This is something I encounter at work and your best bet is to go straight to the Housing Office on the Upperkirkgate. A few of my clients have received complaints before about noise (justified, it has to be said) and the Housing Team tend to get on the case quicker than NotBald commenting on slight hairline receding. Then again, maybe that's down to "prejudging the client group". Anyway, they always keep a record of complaints received and I've seen them issue a Notice To Quit (technical term for arse out the door) purely on the grounds of noise complaints and they've no qualms about doing so. Get in touch with them and take it from there, your neighbours might be folk who've already had to be moved before for being ignorant cunties and it'll be on record if that's happened.

Either way, good luck. If all else fails then petrol through the letterbox can be a quick persuader...

:up:

I couldn't make a complaint unless it was after 10pm at night.

I don't believe that's true, excessive noise is excessive noise at any time of day.

Definitely sounds like you need to talk to the council anyway as the guy doesn't seem open to reason.

By the way as a happy ending to my scare story it's now almost 2 years since the fucker moved out and our block of flats is in great nick now (even the garden which I didn't think would recover after having 18 dogs running round it). Everyone gets on with each other, helps out with the maintenance and apologises when they do something to annoy each other (like coming in drunk and putting on loud music or the other week when I had water coming in my flat from upstairs).

Chances are your other neighbours are fucked off with the guy as well and if you can do something about it the whole place will feel better and be a nicer place to live.

Get Justin and Oggy to come round and stab them in the fucking face.

haha oggy you bad ass!

I've had complaints from my neighbours before 11am sat morning after receiving new records in the post...redic......but one of them came shouting at me, no way to conduct in my eyes....ask me to turn it down I will.........I'd prefer my neighbours to have a mobile no or something that they can tell me if too noisey if that persists then fair enough call the cops :0)