aberdeen-music

Early (8am) opening pubs on a saturday?

RossP

I'm sure the last time I was at the station the Criterion was closed... again. In saying that though it might have reopened, always had a different sign saying new management!

I'm also sure the Schooner is most definitely closed, was there not a raid of some sort in there? It never looked like it was going to reopen. Hmmm.

I know this is super unhelpful...

The Crit was open the other day when I drove past, but I don't know if they still do the silly opening hours. Also the Schooner is well and truly re-opened, I walked past it on Saturday night and there was a band playing.

Just for more proof:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/51530-chaos-promotions-presents-happy-spastics-dogs-abuse-wifebeater-@-scooner.html

Whenever I take in a delivery I see people there at 7am. It's crazy that people would be drinking at that time. A lot of them seem dodgy but never hear of any trouble from them on the security radio.

Camie can you do me a favour and let me know if it definitely opens that early...?

The Police have contacted all bus companies to say that they are cracking down on drinking on the buses to Glasgow next saturday, where regular stops will search buses and passengers; fines of 2,000 issued to organisers and 40 fines issued to passengers if ANY drink is found :down:

Fuxake. I know it's the law and all that, but what a downer. The bus journey is often the best part of our recent home games...

A couple of pints in the Balaclava bar, followed by a 70cl juice bottle of high % cheeky mix to maintain the drunkeness, until downing it all upon arrival to any police checks, then pints in the pub closest the ground (I forget the name) at 1pm, should still suffice.

Don't have a clue what to do for the way back, as there are similar checks on the way back up the road.

At least I could be sober for Errors at Moshulu I suppose.

It's a stupid law anyway - what's the difference between a bunch of football supporters drinking on a bus and a bunch of rugby supporters drinking on a train? Absolutely fuck all.

It's especially fucking stupid if they're dishing out fines solely for carrying alcohol too - what if you're intending on drinking once you arrive?

Would be far better to dish out high fines to anyone caught causing trouble while under the influence of alcohol, rather than picking on the majority that can handle their drink just fine....

It's a stupid law anyway - what's the difference between a bunch of football supporters drinking on a bus and a bunch of rugby supporters drinking on a train? Absolutely fuck all.

I'm guessing the harsher laws on Scottish football over Scottish Rugby is down to a certain Cup Final many years ago :down:

Camie can you do me a favour and let me know if it definitely opens that early...?

The Police have contacted all bus companies to say that they are cracking down on drinking on the buses to Glasgow next saturday, where regular stops will search buses and passengers; fines of 2,000 issued to organisers and 40 fines issued to passengers if ANY drink is found :down:

Fuxake. I know it's the law and all that, but what a downer. The bus journey is often the best part of our recent home games...

A couple of pints in the Balaclava bar, followed by a 70cl juice bottle of high % cheeky mix to maintain the drunkeness, until downing it all upon arrival to any police checks, then pints in the pub closest the ground (I forget the name) at 1pm, should still suffice.

Don't have a clue what to do for the way back, as there are similar checks on the way back up the road.

At least I could be sober for Errors at Moshulu I suppose.

i've been told by many a supporter's bus that the coppers can't legally search, confiscate or taste any drink that isn't clearly alcoholic. makes sense i guess. therefore a 1litre pre-mixed Coke bottle will easily slip under the police's radar.

i've been told by many a supporter's bus that the coppers can't legally search, confiscate or taste any drink that isn't clearly alcoholic. makes sense i guess. therefore a 1litre pre-mixed Coke bottle will easily slip under the police's radar.

That is correct. They have to have clear reason to suspect that the contents of the bottle is not what the bottle is intended for (one that's not just that they think it's alcohol cause you're steamin').

So, obviously if you had a two litre bottle of vodka orange in a Coke bottle they could check. But if it was vodka Coke, lid on and Coke-coloured they have no legal right to inspect its contents, or pour it out - and so no grounds to charge you with anything.

[EDIT= Unless there is a specific piece of legislation that's been drawn up for the crack-down on it that says otherwise. However, even if there is, I doubt it would include anything that overrules your right to refuse police smelling your 'Coke'. Also, be aware they may very well ask you to let them inspect it...that's not to say they're ordering you to by law...always refuse, or ask on what grounds!]

Article 76 of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 states;

(1) For the purposes of any trial in connection with an alleged contravention of any provision of this Part of this Act, any liquid contained in a container (sealed or open) shall, subject to subsection (2) below, be presumed to conform to the description of the liquid on the container.

(2) Subsections (3) to (6) of section 127 of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 1976 (right of accused to challenge presumption as to contents) shall apply in relation to subsection (1) above as they apply in relation to subsection (2) of that section.

Article 76 of the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 states;

(1) For the purposes of any trial in connection with an alleged contravention of any provision of this Part of this Act, any liquid contained in a container (sealed or open) shall, subject to subsection (2) below, be presumed to conform to the description of the liquid on the container.

(2) Subsections (3) to (6) of section 127 of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 1976 (right of accused to challenge presumption as to contents) shall apply in relation to subsection (1) above as they apply in relation to subsection (2) of that section.

I may print this out as a backup :up: