aberdeen-music

Mastered by muppets

Dan G

I originally wrote this for the sound engineers over at the andy sneap forums. But there has been a great response and it is now all over the net, so thought I would share it with people here:

(basic audio engineering knowledge helps to understand this a bit better)

MASTERED BY MUPPETS

End of session day, Rubin works away:

I'm your source of song-destruction

Tunes that hurt you ear, poor sound engineer

Leaving spikes on my instruction

Trust me you will see

Volumes all you need

Dedicated to

How I'll limit you

Compressing faster

Limit your Master

Your albums sell faster

With a loud Master

Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams

Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes

Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing

Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams

Mastered

Mastered

Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream

Bastard

Bastard

Need to mix this way, never you dismay

Loud makes death magnetic clearer

Gain monopoly, ritual Waves L3

Squash your tracks til its severe

Gate and you will see

More and more dB

Dedicated to

How Im killing you

Compressing faster

Limit your Master

Your albums sell faster

With a loud Master

Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams

Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes

Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing

Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams

Mastered

Mastered

Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream

Bastard

Bastard

Master, Master, where's the version I've been after?

Bearded, Bastard, you promised only lies

Blaster, Blaster, recorded on a ghetto blaster?

Laughter, laughter, laughing at those highs

Spike to me!

Lars aint worth all that natural kick and hats

Kirk adds wah without a reason

Never ending phrase, Jaymz goes on for days

Rob, your shirt is out of season

Ill record til 5 (then)

I will help you buy

Sandals that suit you

Now you look cool too

• Upvote 2

I don't like Rick Rubin either. He is praised for the half dozen albums he made with the late Johnny Cash and many commentators write about his stripped down style. But I prefer the real stripped down Johnny Cash that was recorded with four microphones and a simple mixer onto a single track at the Sun Studios in Memphis fifty years ago.

He started life in a band called "The Pricks" and some musicians I know think the name he chose is still apt. Nevertheless he has 7 Grammys and he definitely pleases a lot of people.

The use of limiting and compression makes everything sound the same. Mind you some of Rubin's productions don't have tracks at all but segue into each other thus achieving even more sameness.

Compression and peak limiting is also a problem at some broadcasters as they add compression and limiting to get more "loudness" for their station. This has the effect of making their broadcast stand out when a listener tunes across the dial. So no matter how carefully a record is engineered the sound perceived by the listener can be messed up by the broadcaster.

Rick Rubin isn't keen on reverb either but I like reverb. I also like a loud sound and to this end have two six foot high and four feet deep loudspeakers and no neighbours! Despite liking loud music I don't like limiting and compression. I like to hear a real cymbal crash not the awful clipped sound on some records.

Dan Atom raises some very interesting points - no wonder it has provoked further debate.

You need some kind of mastering if you hope to compete with commercial tracks but it should be applied with an ear to preserving the dynamics of the track. There's too much "loudness" competition going on these days between engineers and it's ruining otherwise great tracks.

My final stage in the mastering process is still to run the finished mix through my Studer J37 2inch tape machine. It's always done it for me.

Nice one man, you are now officially the metal Richard Stilgoe, Richard Stilgoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Legend awaits thee (or a spot on the One Show), I love a good pastiche.

On the other hand, 'Electric' by the Cult is one of the best sounding records on earth, and 'License to Ill' isn't far behind, so he has some skill(z), perhaps he has got too caught up in the Mastering Wars. I haven't heard the new album yet, but now my interest has been piqued on a technical level, as well as a 'what are they up to now'.

You could earn a wad of theoretical internet money for that one.

• Upvote 1

Gotta love the Stilgoe.

Anyone remember the "Richard Stillnotdead" parody on the Mary Whitehouse Experience?

I remember a little of that, I used to love that show. The thing I remember most was Newman and Baddiel pretending to be The Cure and singing The Laughing Policeman. That and the genius of Edward Collander Hands. His collander hands made a really good shower.

They didn't use Bob Rock for the new album.

If they added some vocal harmonies (especially on the Unforgiven 3), layered the piss out the guitars and added some reverb to the vox it would have made a big difference IMHO.

As for the clipping...it really makes it sound like my car speakers have died on me.

Nice one man, you are now officially the metal Richard Stilgoe, Richard Stilgoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Legend awaits thee (or a spot on the One Show), I love a good pastiche.

On the other hand, 'Electric' by the Cult is one of the best sounding records on earth, and 'License to Ill' isn't far behind, so he has some skill(z), perhaps he has got too caught up in the Mastering Wars. I haven't heard the new album yet, but now my interest has been piqued on a technical level, as well as a 'what are they up to now'.

You could earn a wad of theoretical internet money for that one.

My mum got Stilgoe's autograph when she was on the waverly steamer...doesn't that sound like a great story....zzzzzzzzzzz.....

I was loving "blood sugar sex magic", I love its rawness...mr Rubin did all that, did he not?

My mum got Stilgoe's autograph when she was on the waverly steamer...doesn't that sound like a great story....zzzzzzzzzzz.....

I was loving "blood sugar sex magic", I love its rawness...mr Rubin did all that, did he not?

I'm not sure about his production "skillz", I like a lot of the stuff he did with Johnny Cash, particularly American 4, but then I like a lot of Johnny Cash's stuff that he didn't produce. I guess you have to credit Rubin with helping Cash back into the limelight, but you probably have to assume that a talent as big as Cash's would have become fashionable again in the 90s anyway. That said, I think you could argue that Willie Nelson and Kristoffersson are of similar standing and they didn't get mass market appeal like Cash did, so who knows...

As for other albums, Blood Sugar Sex Magic is indeed a classic. The only other Rubin produced track that I would count among my favourites is Taking the Long Way Round by the Dixie Chicks, and I would say that the production on that doesn't seem to be anything special, in fact it could have been produced by anybody really.

(Excuse the video, it was the only youtube clip I could find of the album version)