aberdeen-music

Lance Armstrong to make a comeback

Cloud

I'm absolutely in shock, I didn't think I'd ever get the chance to see him ride competitively...and now o_O

BBC SPORT | Other sport... | Cycling | Armstrong to make shock comeback

He's undoubtably been encouraged by the fact that the winner of the TDF this year was 33, and that the favourite in Cadel Evans doesn't know the meaning of 'attack'.

Can he win it?

I'm absolutely in shock, I didn't think I'd ever get the chance to see him ride competitively...and now o_O

BBC SPORT | Other sport... | Cycling | Armstrong to make shock comeback

He's undoubtably been encouraged by the fact that the winner of the TDF this year was 33, and that the favourite in Cadel Evans doesn't know the meaning of 'attack'.

Can he win it?

No No!!!!!

I think there's some debate about how cleanly he won it in the past.

I'll try and find some articles.

As I understand it, one test after his last TDF win had traces of a banned substance, which was below the concentration required for a positive test......he later proved that an approved ointment or something he was using contained the substance.

ie. he was playing by the rules and the ointment was highly unlikely to have had any performance enhancing effects whatsoever.

Lance Armstrong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess the stink of drugs is endemic in tour cycling, especially during Armstrong's reign, and it's going to take a long time and a lot of proven clean tours to get rid of it.

....and that's just a load of hearsay, and rumour.....reality is that he's never tested positive for anything in his whole career.

The more pertinent question is can he win it cleanly?

He's arguably one of the most tested, if not the most tested athlete in the world - they were absolutely desperate to get him on a doping charge, and yet they couldn't produce one positive result. If he was upto something suspicious, someone, somewhere would've found definitive proof to put him out - but nothing stuck.

There's been an argument for years over his 1999 win, as samples were allegedly retained and then tested for EPO when a test became available - and Armstrong's apparently tested positive. But the re-tests were done in such dodgy circumstances that they wouldn't be accepted as having integrity at all.

But as the man himself says - why would he want to put anything into his body that might harm it after having cancer?

The thing that should be considered about Armstrong's victories is that his entire year was based around the TdF - US Postal/Discovery Channel essentially existed for him to win the tour, and his preparations were absolutely insane. You also have to consider that he did win at the World Championships at the age of 21 - so he definitely had the talent, particularly after cancer lost him the muscle in his upper body that was a factor in his previous poor performances in Europe.

If Armstrong gets the right team for 2009, he's going to be unbeatable in the TdF. Even at 38, his training will be absolutely meticulous and the team will be chosen to help him win

The conditions couldn't be better really - Evans has been shown up to be useless, Contador is with Astana (who Lance is likely to end up with) already, Ricco is banned, Sastre has moved to a new experimental team and Andy Schleck is still too young and inexperienced to win.

No-one else is probably capable of winning it - maybe Kirchen, but the current Team Columbia which is the successor to Team Telekom/T-Mobile will remeber that no matter what they did, Armstrong always had the measure of them.

I cannot wait now.

US Postal was full of dodgers later found to have doped (Floyd Landis for one). At least David Millar has come clean and now, in the Garmin team, is in an anti-doping team, unlike Cofidis. Yer man Cavendish kicked much ass this year. I hate that the Tour is no longer on proper telly, must get a digibox by next year.

You know what they say, never comeback, I can't see it working for him.

US Postal was full of dodgers later found to have doped (Floyd Landis for one). At least David Millar has come clean and now, in the Garmin team, is in an anti-doping team, unlike Cofidis. Yer man Cavendish kicked much ass this year. I hate that the Tour is no longer on proper telly, must get a digibox by next year.

You know what they say, never comeback, I can't see it working for him.

Arguably though, the whole Phonak team was rotten - Hamilton got busted while riding for them too, so it's hard to tell if Landis was doping while at Postal, particularly as he suffered badly at times while riding for them.

It does seem to depend on who/what he signs for - if it's for Astana, then I wouldn't put it past him winning once more. The Kazakh government (through the sponsors of Astana) have thrown a fair bit of money at the team - and it wouldn't surprise me if they threw yet more money to secure Armstrong. Their strategy of signing Kazakh riders blew up in their face with Vinokourov, so Armstrong would be a logical choice. I also suspect that he'd get the total control that he'd demand with them, whereas other teams may be more hesitant.

The Kazakh's may also be willing to spend the money to repair the damage done to the Astana name with the drug scandals in recent years. They weren't allowed in the TdF by ASO this year, and I *think* they weren't allowed in the Vuleta either. If Armstrong joins, then doors will inevitably open, particularly given his strong anti-doping stance.

• 4 years later...
between this and the revelations about Jimmy Saville I'm losing faith in the human race :(what next , people will be saying the Queen farts

Seriously? im not in the least bit suprised to hear about Jimmy Saville, ever watch that thing Louis Theroux did on him? he was a fucking freak show. As for Lance Armstrong the only thing that suprises me is that it was actually uncovered, as the USA does love a cultural icon, and that he most certainly is. You watch - Usain Bolt and Phil Schofield next!!!!!!!!!! :)

Seriously? im not in the least bit suprised to hear about Jimmy Saville, ever watch that thing Louis Theroux did on him? he was a fucking freak show. As for Lance Armstrong the only thing that suprises me is that it was actually uncovered, as the USA does love a cultural icon, and that he most certainly is. You watch - Usain Bolt and Phil Schofield next!!!!!!!!!! :)

Phil Schofield is actually gay. He's in a long-term relationship with a dude and his "wife and kids" family is purely for show. There's a big gagging order on the whole thing so the papers won't release it.

#ThisIsActuallyTrue

xx