aberdeen-music

Music magazines / websites

Currently, which music magazines do you read?

My current favourite is Word. I like the mix of music, movies and popular culture, plus the fact that their reviews don't have a star rating system. I still like Uncut, but they do have a tendency to put older more established artists on the cover and have a big feature on them - there is only so much I can read about The Byrds to be honest. Uncut is great for finding about about Americana though. Mojo is okay, but it suffers from the older srtist syndrome than Uncut. I do buy NME pretty much every week, but that is just to amuse me or anger up my blood in equal measure. Q is terrible nowadays, I can't remember the last time I bought it and there wasn't a piece fawning over Keane, The Kooks or James fucking Blunt. At least it isn't Rolling Stone.

I buy NME pretty much weekly aswell and I have no idea why, as it annoys me so much. It's pretty much just because I want to read about music and it's the only print magazine that actually writes about the bands I want to hear about (aswell as about a thousand that I dont).

The constant cramming of references to 'indie culture' is often cringeworthy, but I view it somewhere between a music magazine and a guilty pleasure like Heat or something. They have redeemed themselves in my eyes however by giving the Manics the Godlike genius award this year and not going down the obvious route with Radiohead.

I did used to enjoy The Face which featured a lot of music articles but unfortunately it is no more :(

I actually don't read any.

I used to read Mojo from time to time, but it's a bit shit sometimes.

same as me. the only magazines i read regularly are empire as the missus has a subscription, national geographic as i got a subscription for christmas and photography mags which we have subscriptions for at work.

i get all my music news online at various places depending on my mood.

Don't buy any anymore sadly, they're all pretty crap. Q magazine used to be brilliant up to about 1994 when they had the likes of Danny Kelly, Stuart Maconie, Andrew Collins, Tom Hibbert etc. Now it's just rubbish.

Only magazine I still buy every month is Empire, and that's pretty much because I've been buying it since the first issue and I want a complete set.

Oh, and Club International.

Q has Bono or Chris Martin on the cover every other month and is pretty poor though the captions are always funny.

I love Mojo, especially the pieces on older artists. The features are always well written and give you a good insight.

Uncut has it's moments but don't really like the layout.

The Fly is a great read for a freebie and good at covering local scenes. NME i still enjoy though sometimes it seems to be aimed at such a younger audience and I get fed up seeing "ask your Dad" references to bands from the 60s or 70s. The letters page angers me.

Rolling Stone and Spin are both semi-decent reads for American magazines.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Mojo and Uncut are still good value for money (sort of....)

I feel I should mention pitchfork, cos it's a good way to get yourself riled up in the morning, as the guardian's music blog (especially when Alan McGee writes for it....)

Also should plug AU magazine, becuase I write for it.

But youse can't get it in Scotland, so ha ha!

On me.

Q has Bono or Chris Martin on the cover every other month and is pretty poor though the captions are always funny.

Good point, I always loved the captions. Best one was on a picture of Ainsley Harriott, it went a little something like this:

_40583957_ainsley300.jpg

"There's a twat in ma kitchen, what am ah gonna do."

:up: I still can't help singing it every time he comes on the telly.

Guest bluesxman

I subscribe to Uncut. Although its nauseatingly repetitive when it comes to cover features (Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen or Rolling Stones all favourites it seems, although its The Faces this month, think thats a first), its still a decent read.

I buy Mojo on and off dependent on features and often just for the CD.

I buy Q less often now as its generally pretty dire, my better half bought me this month's and I think Id flicked through it in 20 minutes without a desire to read any of it in any depth.

I got The Wire for a while out of interest and found it pretty dull all in all, half the time the adverts which drew my attention to new Mono and Grails releases were the main benefit. There have been good Sonic Youth, Melvins and Grinderman features when I got it though.

I bought my first NME in an age a month or 2 ago, garbage, arse wiping would be too good for it.

I also miss Select, and Vox was pretty good too.

Ive stopped buying film mags but Im going to start getting Total Film again because Im out of touch with movies and I like it better than Empire. Hotdog was good but seems to have become defunct.

The only one I buy regular is Mixmag. I used to read Q but only cos I got it free at my old work. If I'm in a newsagent with 4 burning a hole in my pocket I'll occasionally pick it up, but I generally just read the reviews pages as I find it a good way to discover good new albums that have slipped past my non-existent radar. By using a system of "download the 5 star albums" I've discovered gems such as Bright Eyes "I'm Wide Awake it's Morning", Modest Mouse "Good News for...", Secret Machines "Now Here Is Nowhere", The Concretes "Concretes", Graham Coxon "Love Travels At Illegal Speeds", The Guillemots "Through The Windowpane", Nick Cave "Lyre Of Orpheus / Abbatoir Blues", Lemon Jelly "64-95".... in saying that I haven't read it in about a year probably, which may explain the lack of new stuff on my iPod recently.

I’ve stopped buying film mags but I’m going to start getting Total Film again because I’m out of touch with movies and I like it better than Empire. Hotdog was good but seems to have become defunct.

I used to always buy Hotdog as I liked the writing style better than Empire, it was funnier, but I could only ever find it in Virgin or HMV, none of the local newsagents ever seemed to stock it so I always ended up going home with Empire. Pretty much just became a convert. I get EMpire every month now.

Since c.1970, I've gone for this lot...

Disc & Music Echo

Melody Maker

Rolling Stone

International Times

Fapto

Oz

Sounds

NME

Cream

ZigZag

Ptolemaic Terrascope

Pink Moon (Nick Drake zine)

Hors Doeuvres (Roy Harper zine)

The Vellum (George Formby zine)

Dream

Mojo

Wire

Sadly still got loads of Rolling Stones/Oz?IT/Cream/Zigzag

Guest bluesxman
I used to always buy Hotdog as I liked the writing style better than Empire, it was funnier, but I could only ever find it in Virgin or HMV, none of the local newsagents ever seemed to stock it so I always ended up going home with Empire. Pretty much just became a convert. I get EMpire every month now.

Hotdog was usually to be found in the WH Smith in the Bon Accord centre as well. There was an ace film mag called Neon a few years back which was a similar style but only ran for a relatively short while, i've still got the whole lot, I refuse to ditch them...

Hotdog was usually to be found in the WH Smith in the Bon Accord centre as well. There was an ace film mag called Neon a few years back which was a similar style but only ran for a relatively short while, i've still got the whole lot, I refuse to ditch them...

I turfed out a couple years of Hotdog's recently, I should have kept hold of them. Seems it went down the pan in November 06, it's taken me over a year to ntice Hotdog Magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rock Sound is one I buy regularly and don't feel cheated by. I like the fact the writers clearly like the same stuff as me, as shown by their recent "most important records" feature which had stufff like "Shape of Punk...", "Oceanic" and loads of other records I love in it, rather than just Never-fuckin-mind a-fucking-gain. Plus they do cover a few other genres superficially, so I feel like I'm "branching out"....

Empire I get too, but think they hype blockbusters too much when they're clearly shit. And I fall for it.

Metalhammer I sill buy occasionally.

Kerrang I buy far too often, as it's gash. I only read the reviews and tour dates - don't think there has been a feature I've more than glanced at for months....