aberdeen-music

Best ever ska song!

kirkt

Originally posted by kirkt:

bah! before i moved to Aberdeen and I missed it :( did anyone see capdown tour with the mighty Whizzwood 2 years ago?

Not to rub it in more, but yes. I missed Whizzwood's set, but I'm not keen on htem, so I don't mind. But all in all, I have been to all of Capdown's last 5 appearances in Aberdeen, including the 2-nighter they did. Wish they'd come back. It's been quite a while since I did more than just bop my head while watching a band play.

Originally posted by less_than_stu:

Not to rub it in more, but yes. I missed Whizzwood's set, but I'm not keen on htem, so I don't mind. But all in all, I have been to all of Capdown's last 5 appearances in Aberdeen, including the 2-nighter they did. Wish they'd come back. It's been quite a while since I did more than just bop my head while watching a band play.

well ive seen whizzwood a few times anyway so you can'r rub that in...i can't wait till they come back with Freaks Union supportin but no dates have been announced yet :(

Originally posted by Jonny Lucifer:

Am I the only person who thinks every single ska song sounds identical? I quite like CapDown, but they're not necessarily *proper* ska are they? Ska just sounds so tremendously White to me.

Ska = 1960s Jamican tracks that preceded Rocksteady e.g. Prince Buster, Skatalites etc

e.g. .Soul Jazz Ska , Trojan Ska

Two Tone = late 70s / early 80s UK mixed race bands that covered and were inspired by Ska e.g. early Specials, Selector etc

Ska Revival = 1990s onwards - all the Moon Ska label and loads of other bands such as Link 80 etc. More punk sounding at times I suppose

NB It should be noted that ska is music to dance to rather than listen to....

well that depends really, if you've ever heard rx bandits (and thought they were ska) you probably wouldn't say that it isn't music to listen to. quite a lot of ska bands have something to say with their music and particularly the rx bandits have something to say AND write some incredibly intricate songs that all musicians can agree are something to "listen" to.

well that's what i think anyway

cant believe ppl are actually mentioning RBF!! they fuckin suck!!

"room without a window" or "hoboken" by Operation Ivy

"12341234" by Catch 22

bearing in mind these are Ska/Punk songs. im not too big up on my "proper" ska these days. im glad ppl on here actually know their ska history tho. very good to see :D

everyone should own operation ivy`s discography tho

Guest GEROLDCONTRA

best Ska

Operation Ivy- soundsystem "gonna bring me back up", Tim Armstrong delivering the goods back in the day !

The Clash- Rudie can't fail ( not really Ska but v. close & different than the rest.....for Johnny Lucifer's generalized comment :)

Rancid-Daily City Train, Old Friend.....dammit everything they've done is different hard to choose.....but Daily City train get's me every time!

RX Bandits-overcome- rock against bush more reggae but it speeds up

what a great band ! Very sublime influenced but still very good

Sublime- the wrong way, don't push, date rape,

loudmouth-I guess I never knew ( my bros solo project )

go get cha pogo stick!

Cheers

E.P launch- Saturday JUNE 24th @ the moorings bar support to be confirmed possibly ( hotmangu, certain death & broken sunshine)

Post E.P Launch Thursday 8th of the July @ Dr. Drakes

• 1 year later...
Sell Out by Reel Big Fish or Beer by Reel Big Fish.

Yes! I know Reel Big Fish are hardly the best music ever, but those two songs can't fail to put a smile on my face.

Otherwise, I'd say 'Bitches and Nike Shoes' by Capdown, 'When The Laughter Stops' by Farse, and a little bit of Streetlight Mannifesto.

Haha, the gateway to promote some ska. Love it.

Since this has been bumped, I'd like to show some appreciation for the following. Not the best ever but particular current favourites:

The Kids Are Alright - Goldfinger. Although this is a cover, it's skanking heaven. Going into the second chorus, makes me rather excited.

Love Loss Learn - Howards Alias. Can't label them a ska band but this tune has it's fare share of lovely upstrokes.

Sounds of We, The Loneliest Life, Day In Day Out and Survive by the mighty King Prawn. Enough said.

Rockupation - Mad Caddies. So much to chose from these boys but this is my current favourite. Proper smile on the face shit here.

Guestlist/Hitlist - Shootin Goon

(We All Have To) Burn Something - Big D and the Kids Table. Try and NOT have a boogey to this.

High five for the earlier Antimaniax mention. I'm totally looking forward to the new album. As Long As People Think and I'm Without Sleep In This Desert Of Concrete fill me with so much joy it's unreal. I also wouldn't mind seeing them again but after the poor crowd show of the Kef date a few years ago, it would appear they're in no hurry to return :(