aberdeen-music

ATP - Nightmare before Christmas - curated by Portishead

StewCat

Anyone else going to this? its gonna be amazing!

Portishead's first live show in 10 years

Aphex Twin

Fuzz Against Junk

Kling Klang

Sparklehorse

The Horrors

GZA/Genius

Malcolm Middleton

A Hawk & A Hacksaw

Seasick Steve

Polar Bear

Boris

Sunn o)))

Damo Suzuki

Atavist

.....lots more!!!

yippeeeee!

looks interesting

• 2 weeks later...

The best weekend of music EVER.

Saw Portishead on the Friday - first gig in 10 years - BEAUTIFUL...brilliant band.one of my favourites.

Saw Aphex Twin on Saturday and Sunday - both sets raised the roof - ive never seen a man with so much focus to the music he was making. unforgettable!

Also have to meantion Sunn O))) - fucking loudest thing ive ever heard - brilliant!!

also fuck buttons rocked the house!

The best weekend of music EVER.

Saw Portishead on the Friday - first gig in 10 years - BEAUTIFUL...brilliant band.one of my favourites.

Saw Aphex Twin on Saturday and Sunday - both sets raised the roof - ive never seen a man with so much focus to the music he was making. unforgettable!

Also have to meantion Sunn O))) - fucking loudest thing ive ever heard - brilliant!!

also fuck buttons rocked the house!

I had a suitably amazing time too! Found a few friends from the Ghost of Aberdeen Past littering the floor in front of the stages, as well as some current denziens like StewCat here!

Portishead were obviously a highlight - but the new material is sounding really, really good. Some if it is very dark and nasty in that 'good' way.

Other favourites were Crippled Black Mountain, Seasick Steve, A Hawk and a Hacksaw, Kling Klang, Autolux, Malcolm Middleton, GZA, Fuck Buttons and Boris. Aphex Twin's set on the Saturday night was really good, but driving early on Monday made me bail waaaay before his Sunday night set. Julian Cope's set was worth it for the last ten minutes worth of absolute insanity that tripped from his lips. Close behind Portishead as best of the weekend is John Cooper Clark - An absolute joy and incredibly engaging, a wonderful antidote to a day of heavy drone.

Disappointments were Madlib (utterly pished), Rosie Red Rash (utterly gish), and whoever it was that did those minute-long karaoke adlibbed lyrics over a minidisc on random. Yeah, that guy with the overhead projector and the acetates who kept randomly switching between pictures of nobodies. Not the best.

It was probably the most disappointing ATP line up for a while i reckon. Not really anyone that i'd pay good money to see play (again, in some cases).

Wasn't a patch on the Dirty Three weekend, that's for sure - Lots of acts I wouldn't have normally rushed out to see this time around, but I enjoyed bouncing around seeing a lot of bands I knew nothing about. I definitely got my money's worth by the end, but must admit I didn't hold high-hopes for it being as good as it was.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Have a look at this instead mother hubbard...

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY

BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE

IRON AND WINE

DINOSAUR JR

ADEM

....AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF THE DEAD

POLVO

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE

A HAWK AND A HACKSAW

ELUVIUM

OLA PODRIDA

LAZARUS

THE PAPER CHASE

FOUR TET

WESTERN KEYS

SILVER JEWS

JENS LEKMAN

MONO

TONY TEARDROP

THE DRIFT

GHOSTFACE KILLAH

That's a pretty triumphant line-up.

I'm hoping to go.

Fucking pricey though.

For a three day music festival in the UK, it's very well priced. Especially given that accom. consists of a private chalet, as opposed to space for your tent and a flooded portaloo.

Although, Primavera for the win! Went last year and ended up spending just a bit more than I would at a festival in the UK, only I was in the centre of Barcelona for a week, in addition to the 3 days of the festival - which is actually co-curated by ATP now.

Guest idol_wild
For a three day music festival in the UK, it's very well priced. Especially given that accom. consists of a private chalet, as opposed to space for your tent and a flooded portaloo.

I'm comparing it to my disposable income. And the conclusion is that it is extremely pricey. Regardless of what I'm getting for my money.

I'll start saving for it immediately after christmas is done and dusted, though. See how I get on.