aberdeen-music

The Official "Best gig I've been to" Thread 2007

This indeed was a very good gig. I'm not a big fan of the Manics at all, I only like the Holy Bible, but it was an excellent show. A much better gig than the debacle of Kings of Leon on Saturday.

Nicky Wire telling Jamie Oliver to fuck off was also very good.

It was alright, but mentioning the Cup Winners Cup almost encouraged some Stand Free. The new songs were shite, the acoustic part pointless, and the setlist a bit iffy, but there were some pretty good moments. However, my highlight was probably some leopard-skin-legging-wearing young lass outside, complaining to her mate on the phone that everyone was wearing beige.

My favourite gig of the year was the National in Glasgow. I may have posted that already, but I'm too lazy to check.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, they hardly played any of their newer material. I only clocked a few (Your love alone is not enough, Send away the tigers and Rendition... perhaps there were more). Out of a 90+ minute set that's not too bad.

It was good to hear some Holy Bible tracks too. I was really suprised that they opened up with, 'Motorcycle Emptiness'... after that I kind of realised that we were in for a semi-greatest hits sort of set.

They played Autumn Song, which was awful, although it made Everything Must Go sound refreshingly streamlined in comparison. They only played Yes off the Holy Bible as far as I can remember.

Last nights Manics setlist:

Motorcycle Emptiness

Autumnsong

Everything Must Go

Roses In The Hospital

Im Just A Patsy

Slash N Burn

Rendition

Yes

La Tristesse Durera

Your Love Alone Is Not Enough

Enola/Alone

You Love Us

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

The Everlasting (Acoustic)

Masses Against The Classes (Acoustic)

Send Away The Tigers

She Sells Sanctuary / Motown Junk

Little Baby Nothing

You Stole The Sun From My Heart

Ocean Spray

A Design For Life

Superb setlist. They obviously rate Lifeblood as highly as I do now. 1985, however was, as always, sublime.

5 songs from Send Away the Tigers. All brilliantly delivered. Could have done with more new ones with it being the Send Away the Tigers tour, but when they are playing all those classics it's fine by me. Just the one from the Bible. They were favouring Generation Terrorists last night - no bad thing.

Jimmy Dean and the Wire seemed to enjoy themselves.

I don't think you could ask for much more from a Manics show in 2007. I hope they're as good tonight in Edinburgh.

I assume that's not a Cult cover and the Manics have a song of the same name, not being a follower?

It was actually a Cult cover. They did about a minute or so of the song before going into Motown Junk.

Thought the gig was brilliant last night. I was delighted to hear Slash and Burn. Masses Against the Classes sounded really good acoustic and the new stuff held up really well I thought, particularly Rendition.

Highlight for me was Motown Junk and Nicky's skipping at the end.

They also played the Manics new Christmas tune as everyone left, which was good fun.

Guest bluesxman
It was actually a Cult cover. They did about a minute or so of the song before going into Motown Junk.

Thought the gig was brilliant last night. I was delighted to hear Slash and Burn. Masses Against the Classes sounded really good acoustic and the new stuff held up really well I thought, particularly Rendition.

Highlight for me was Motown Junk and Nicky's skipping at the end.

They also played the Manics new Christmas tune as everyone left, which was good fun.

Ha nae bad.

I don't like them at all these days but I dare say if I'd been there I could have handled that set on the whole, lots of good ones in there. No 'Faster' or 'From Despair To Where' though....'Motorcyle Emptiness' as an opening number must have been immense.....

Edinburgh just edged it last night with Suicide is Painless getting the acoustic treatment instead of Masses Against the Classes, which got the full band, replacing Rendition.

Kevn Carter instead of Enola / Alone was the only other change.

Heaps of grade A banter throughout. They love Edinburgh.

Probably the first and last time I'll see a band on consecutive nights so I'm glad it was with the Manics.

My "gig of 2007."

I've been to so many great gigs this year that it's very difficult to choose, though a few that stand out are:

GHOST @ Mono (Glasgow)

PAIN OF SALVATION @ Robin 2 (Wolverhampton)

OCEANSIZE @ Moshulu

IRON & WINE @ Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)

DAMON & NAOMI @ Lemon Tree

All absolutely stunning gigs, both in terms of performance and setlist selection.

'Motorcyle Emptiness' as an opening number must have been immense.....

It was indeed, it was a slightly different version with a (keyboard) strings and guitar intro.

Edinburgh just edged it last night with Suicide is Painless getting the acoustic treatment instead of Masses Against the Classes, which got the full band, replacing Rendition.

Aw, I would have absolutely loved a full-band version of Masses and an acoustic Suicide Is Painless, but it was nice to hear an acoustic Masses as a bit of a change.

I would say the Manics on Sunday was my gig of 2007. The Joanna Newsom gig was stunningly beautiful in every way, but to see my favourite band ever in as small a venue as I'm ever likely to see them, in my home town, was the winner.

It was indeed, it was a slightly different version with a (keyboard) strings and guitar intro.

It's the "Greatest Hits" version intro :up:

Aw, I would have absolutely loved a full-band version of Masses and an acoustic Suicide Is Painless, but it was nice to hear an acoustic Masses as a bit of a change..

Fully. Never heard it acoustic before, so it was nice to hear it live. But the full band version reminded me what I liked about this song so much - a great racket with added shoutage!

Suicide is Painless was awesome. :up:

lightning bolt @ tunnels

duracell @ tunnels

the academy is @ glasgow garage

AFI @ barrowlands

Enter Shikari @ barrowlands

thomas truax & kitchen cynics @ musa

shiny toy guns @ tunnels/king tuts

you me at 6/ flood of red @ king tuts

frank turner, dive dive & beans on toast @ tunnels

saosin @ moshulu

silverstein @ moshulu

the streets @ moshulu

gallows @ tunnels

Jonah matranga @ tunnel 2

blood brothers @ tunnels

devil sold his soul @ moshulu/kef

helogoodbye @ abc

paramore @ ABC

there are probably more... it has been a fairly amazing year for live music for me, deciding on ONE favorite is hard, but i think its gunna have to be jonah matranga @ tunnel 2, it is actually probably the best gig i have seen in my life, the atmosphere was amazing, his voice was amazing, and it was truely a pleasure, and a great honor to put that show on :D

Thanks everyone else who mentioned it, im glad it was as special for them as it was for me!

Guest Steven Dedalus

Just saw a band called Miracle Fortress, and they were unbelievably great.

EVen though they were playing to about 8 people.

If they swing by Aberdeen, y'all should definately check them out.

Just saw a band called Miracle Fortress, and they were unbelievably great.

EVen though they were playing to about 8 people.

If they swing by Aberdeen, y'all should definately check them out.

No Aberdeen date. They played Glasgow 3 days ago but unfortuntaely i missed it. They sound great.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of disapointments this year. My favourites would be:

1. Paul Vickers & The Legg @ The Tunnels

2. Gruff Rhys/ Espers/ Boom Bip/Euros Child @ The Lemon Tree (just an overall fantastic night)

3. The Fratellis @ Virgin Festival, Baltimore (on the 2nd stage at 1pm, 103 degrees farenheit, dancing down the front in a very relaxed ned-free crowd)

4. Sonic Boom Six @ Cafe Drummonds

5. Beastie Boys @ Virgin Festival, Baltimore

Not sure that i could choose an absolute favourite, but these are gigs that i enjoyed thoroughly:

Wheat @ Indian Summer

Cinematic Orchestra @ the Lemon Tree

Jeniferever @ the Tunnels

Aereogramme @ the Classic Grand

Captain @ Moshulu

The Streets @ Moshulu

iLiKETRAiNS @ the Tunnels

Jonah Matranga @ the Tunnels 2

Oceansize @ Moshulu

The Rapture @ Indian Summer

Midlake @ Indian Summer

Monetary constraints prevented me from going to as many gigs as i usually would over the course of the year and admittedly i did miss quite a few gigs i would've really liked to have been at. But, i saw a lot of bands that i liked over the year as well so all was not lost.