aberdeen-music

wanting to educate myself in music

Sweet-C

Guest bluesxman
Anthology of American Folk Music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's all you need to get a good grounding in popular music over the last eighty years.

Um, no its not. Its a collection of very old recordings that in no way gives grounding in 80 years of popular music and all the genres that have existed. They are of course hip to namecheck due to their relative obscurity which is probably why you have mentioned them. Unless of course you are suggesting that there would be no modern music if it werent for these recordings. And to that I say pffft, the same way I say that to everyone who claims there would be no music if The Beatles hadnt existed..

Um, no its not. Its a collection of very old recordings that in no way gives grounding in 80 years of popular music and all the genres that have existed. They are of course hip to namecheck due to their relative obscurity which is probably why you have mentioned them. Unless of course you are suggesting that there would be no modern music if it werent for these recordings. And to that I say pffft, the same way I say that to everyone who claims there would be no music if The Beatles hadnt existed..

Amen brother.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
can you recommend some good bands/tunes?

Yes I can, but I'm not going to. Do your own digging and don't rely on being spoon-fed on here. This is the last place you want to look for recommendations.

:up:

Well, I've got to disagree with you there, because from my own personal experience it gave me a very good base to go on and learn about all kinds of different types of music at a young age. I didn't mention it to be "cool", or obsure, I mentioned because I and many thousands of others have got a great deal of joy and pleasure out of it.

Of course, it's not for everyone.

I think the problem was that you said it was 'all you need to get a good grounding in popular music over the last 80 years,' when it clearly isn't, no matter where your preferences in music lay.

Well, considering it was (a) wrong, (b) worryingly ignorant, and © nothing at all to do with the purpose of the thread, which is to help out another member of the site, I'd say trolling is pretty much what you were doing right there.

Stop using your moderator status as an excuse to defend your flawed and frankly ignorant point of view.

Guest bluesxman
Well, I've got to disagree with you there, because from my own personal experience it gave me a very good base to go on and learn about all kinds of different types of music at a young age. I didn't mention it to be "cool", or obsure, I mentioned because I and many thousands of others have got a great deal of joy and pleasure out of it.

Of course, it's not for everyone.

I've owned it for the best part of 10 years but wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for learning about new music - it is probably primarily of interest to people who already like folk, blues and country. Not in all cases but I'd guess in most.

Stop using your moderator status as an excuse to defend your flawed and frankly ignorant point of view.

I don't see how he's using his mod status at all. He's expressing his opinion on your opinion, same as anyone else can.

Personally I think Dave's original suggestion may not be what the OP is looking for exactly, but is valid nonetheless, in the sense that he is making the point that 'without x there wouldn't be y' and there is no such thing as a brand new type of music. However it's a slightly moot point, and I don't think a 20 page discussion on the linear nature of the history of music with all attendant Beatles references is what we need right now. It's been done here plenty times before.

What I think we do need, in order to provide some useful advice, is a slightly more narrow remit than 'what music is good?'

Well, considering it was (a) wrong, (b) worryingly ignorant, and © nothing at all to do with the purpose of the thread

Please explain why it is "wrong" and "worryingly ignorant" to point out that 1920/1930's american folk does not "teach you all you need to know about popular music of the last 80 years".

I don't see how he's using his mod status at all. He's expressing his opinion on your opinion, same as anyone else can.

'

He's suggesting that I'm "trolling" because he disagrees with my contention, the obvious implication being that I'm some kind of abusive poster and ought to shut up before he shuts me up. He deleted my opinion on his opinion.

Anyway, to the OP, who is obviously not completely ignorant about the history of music over the last decade and clearly not in his 50's - I would suggest ignoring the bullshit about the beatles and dylan and pink floyd and all the derivative guitary pop bands that people on this forum will inevitably post and which dominate the mainstream at the moment, and explore instead the real music of our generation which you can find on sites like SUB FM - Where bass matters!!! - "The Best Dubstep Radio Station - Mixmag", Rinse FM and Dubstep Radio - Live DJ's - Podcast - Downloads - Dubstep.fm

The entire warp, ninjatune and mowax back catalogue is a good starting point for music which has fuck all to do with tobacco chewing banjo strumming hicks.

i'm going to go ahead and offer a completely guitar-centric set of recommendations:

guthrie govan, steve vai, joe satriani, paul gilbert, scott henderson, frank gambale, van halen, ratt (ignore lyrics), robben ford, charlie christian, ronny jordan, buckethead, stevie ray vaughn, walter trout,

i'm bored now, ah well

some banjo strumming hick music :jester::

Here are a few of my personal recomendations to get started with. All the following are should be widely available:

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Angel Dust (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depeche Mode - Ultra Ultra (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a read about them see if you fancy them. All of these in my opinion are outstanding albums and each of the bands has large back catalogues and offshoots to delve into if you enjoy them.

Anyway, to the OP, who is obviously not completely ignorant about the history of music over the last decade and clearly not in his 50's - I would suggest ignoring the bullshit about the beatles and dylan and pink floyd and all the derivative guitary pop bands that people on this forum will inevitably post and which dominate the mainstream at the moment, and explore instead the real music of our generation which you can find on sites like SUB FM - Where bass matters!!! - "The Best Dubstep Radio Station - Mixmag", Rinse FM and Dubstep Radio - Live DJ's - Podcast - Downloads - Dubstep.fm

The entire warp, ninjatune and mowax back catalogue is a good starting point for music which has fuck all to do with tobacco chewing banjo strumming hicks.

Care to explain why this type of music should be considered the "real music of our generation"?

I thought this thread was started because he was taking the piss out of the ever so popular "can you educate me in X style of music"...

I myself was close to writing a thread "tell me what to listen to as I don't have my own ears"...

for me, it's a stupid thread, and has already started stupid arguments...

I reccomend listening to : good music.