aberdeen-music

Stoner Bands

Guest Savant

Also you could include Viking Skull and The Sword from a metal perspective who stray into stoner territory. Orange Goblin are a must and I think their newest material is their best as they are aging like a fine cheese! I also like the later Cathederal stuff which again can drift into stoner territory. Also in a sort of AC/DC'ish stoner sound then American Dog are worth checking out.

Saw Clutch live last year and they left me a bit unimpressed which I was surprised about.

Clutch are ace... seen them live twice, the first time was with Corrosion of Conformity and I thought they were dull as piss, but they were cracking in April this year at the Garage :up:. The Sword & Taint were awesome support acts too. As far as albums go I'd say "The Elephant Riders" is my favourite, but "Blast Tyrant" is probably a nice way to ease into them.

Sleep and all related acts (High on Fire, Om, Kalas) are a must too.

I saw Clutch support Motorhead in Manchester and it just didn't seem to happen for them though the crowd were very responsive. I would like to see The Sword sometime as I really like their album (though not as much as Sword's 2 albums from the late 80's). Again I saw Sword (Canadian metal band) support Motorhead in Edinburgh about 19 years ago and they were immense.

I saw Clutch support Motorhead in Manchester and it just didn't seem to happen for them though the crowd were very responsive. I would like to see The Sword sometime as I really like their album (though not as much as Sword's 2 albums from the late 80's). Again I saw Sword (Canadian metal band) support Motorhead in Edinburgh about 19 years ago and they were immense.

I've seen Clutch twice, and the last time (with CoC) they were actually phenominal. One of my favourite all-time gigs...

I've seen Clutch twice, and the last time (with CoC) they were actually phenominal. One of my favourite all-time gigs...

Each to their own I guess, I thought they just looked a little uninterested? They were probably baked out of their skulls mind...

COC were fucking ace though.

The first three Monster Magnet albums - Spine of God, Superjudge and Dopes to Infinity - are classic stoner records.

There was a great Welsh band called Acrimony, who played kind of slow, heavy, trippy mushroom influenced stoner rock. Their album was called Tumuli Shroomaroom (honestly) and they had an EP called Firedance (I think). They were awesome, but I think they split up after one album.

The first three Monster Magnet albums - Spine of God, Superjudge and Dopes to Infinity - are classic stoner records.

There was a great Welsh band called Acrimony, who played kind of slow, heavy, trippy mushroom influenced stoner rock. Their album was called Tumuli Shroomaroom (honestly) and they had an EP called Firedance (I think). They were awesome, but I think they split up after one album.

Acrimony also did a split with Chruch of Misery. They also played Aberdeen on at least 3 occasions. Ace band.

Most of the bands that initially spring to mind have already been mentioned but i'll list a few i'm partial too anyway, sorry for repeats.

Acid King, Abdullah, Boris, Capricorns, Dixie Witch, El Bastardo, Fatso Jetson, Fu Manchu, Gonga, High on Fire, Kalas, Lord13, Los Natas, Monkey3, Nebula, Place of Skulls, Ramesses, Sahg, St Vitus, Sally, sHeavy, Slo Burn, Sleep, Spirit Caravan, Thee Plague of Gentlemen, Winnebago Deal and Yob.

Should be enough to keep ye busy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You might like a band called Black Sabbath.

No, seriously, good to see someone mention Trouble, 'Run to the Light' was ace ultra-sludgy doomarama, and their eponymous Rick Rubin lp was pretty good too.

I have difficulty with the genre title as It could apply to so much more than Bluesy Doom styles, referring to anything that sounds great when you are mashed, but there is no point in railing against these things, as I found out, Trip Hop (argh, I hate that title) and Drum n Bass (Jungle you divs), its a waste of time pissing in the wind.

So, Stoner Rock, eh.