aberdeen-music

21st century prog bands!

Hog

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram
Originally posted by Alan Cynic:

The latest news is that it's Mike, Phil (Hookers Green), Len Atom and Sandy (Electric Tibet). It's got me excited!!!

It might not be prog...

It will just be what ever comes out when/if the creative sparks fly!

Originally posted by ragudave:

Just watch that Mike doesnt start you doing Fall covers - as they seem to be his latest obsession...

Covers of any band is strictly forbidden!

I have quite a back log of ideas just waiting to be brutalised...

Looks like it'll be late summertime before anything happens though.

Originally posted by Demon_Of_The_Fall:

Opeth and Porcupine Tree are the way forward

I haven't heard Opeth, but if Porcupine Tree are the way forward... the future looks regressive!

Originally posted by thesultanofswing86:

Well i love Tool and Porcupine Tree are totally awesome. Dream Theatre probably should be on the list, though they are a bit shite at times (i.e. "The spirit carries on", worst song ever, lyrically, musically, and in all cheesyness)

DREAM THEATER!

The Spirit Carries On is far from their worst song. It is musically and lyrically brilliant. So what if the first few lines sound cheesy.

There was also a similar article in this months Record Collector. It mentioned some of the bands mentioned above such as Muse, Tool and the Mars Volta. Other bands mentioned included Radiohead, the Cooper Temple Clause and a few others I cant remember. Oceansize are sort of prog, such as the structure of the songs and things. They are worth checking out. Also, even though they were one of the first prog bands, King Crimson are still going and seem to do something new instead of sticking to what they were doing in the 70's. Their last album was sort of prog metal influenced. They also went on tour with Tool a few years back.

Muse is different as in the guitarsit has an original approach guitar - their music is tedious as hell tho.

I dont think I'm into the whole modern prog scene. I have a dream theatre and an opeth album but I never listen to them, just find it kinda boring - especially dream theatre. Had some good opeth back in the napster days but generally ten minute songs with predictable growling parts puts me off. As far as Mars Volta go - ehh??? I saw them live and it was pretty damn uninspiring to me. As i say, just an opinion...

Muse do have elements of prog in their music. The classical influences (Space Dementia and the one with the strings from their last album) epic songs (Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Citizen Erased, New Born etc), the song structures, like the sort of through composed songs such as Citizen Erased and Cave (although not as through composed as some Yes or Genesis songs!), their use synths in a prog sort of way, and quite a few other things. Saying that, some of their songs are not that prog, but 70's bands such as ELP who were definitely a prog band have some songs that are not that prog. But generally I'd say it would be safe to call them prog.

Porcupine Tree are immensely dull, I can't stand Steve Wilson, he's an arrogant pratt. As someone pointed out there's nothing particularly forward looking about Porcupine Tree, I mean come on their keyboard player is Richard Barbieri from Japan ! Steve Wilson got his first big break touring as support to Marillion and he's produced stuff for them and wrote and produced Fish's weakest album 'Sunsets on Empire'.

The future of prog - Spock's Beard, nope, they'll falter now they've parted company with Neil Morse. The bands that'll take prog into the 21st Century are the bands that were around in the 80's/90's Queensryche, Marillion, Fish, Dream Theater, also worth checking out the John Young Band, very good, www.youngjohn.co.uk, quite regressive but good. I'm surprised they missedf Radiohead they are the niggest prog band out there. I would classify Muse as prog, they come from many ofthe same influences as Queen who were progressive in the beginning.

Course all bands should be progressive, in the truest sense of the word moving forward all the time. Foe bands in the classic prog mould, there's Jadis, Jump, and the newly reformed It Bites.

If you want to hear something that has been described as prog from out very own local songstress Jo McCafferty, who despite not being prog has played with some of prog's foremost musicians such as Steve Hogarth, John Young, Fish, Richard Barbieri, and many others.

http://www.jomccafferty.com/unflashed/sounds/Jo%20McCafferty-Fighting.mp3

its not prog imho but some people here might like it,

Cheers

Stuart