aberdeen-music

2007/2008 season thread

RossP

You're never further than 3 seats away from a feeble mind with a loud voice at Pittodrie! I had such an unbearable imbecile behind me I had to move at half time. It's the shouts of "half the cunt!" "Brak his fucking legs min!" that amuse me the most. Good advice.

Yeah tell me about it; learned all about such twats after holding a season ticket for three years. Still, some of the stuff your typical Aberdeen casual barks is dimwitted to the point where it's fucking hilarious.

Is anyone else a Brewster fan, or am I the only one? A lot of the chimps on various AFC fansites seem to have a completely irrational hatred for the man (I assume it's because he's old). Alright, he's slow but he's one of very few Dons players that actually knows how to use his brain. Decent hold-up play and he's good at bringing others into the game... brings a lot more to the table than Mackie & co. in my opinion.

We need Seve in midfield and someone to add a little more creativity I think (hopefully De Visscher can fill this role). I'm not the biggest Chris Clark fan to be honest... he'll run all day for you and work his balls off, but his positional sense is dreadful and every time he got anywhere near the box yesterday it looked like he didn't have a clue what to do with the ball.

Can't believe the amount of kneejerkers that have popped up over the past two weeks as well; have Aberdeen fans always been this fickle? Two bad performances (alright, so "bad" is a bit of an understatement) and people are calling for Jimmy's head? Ridiculous.

I saw some pleb bigging up Archie Knox for the job as I was walking from Pittodrie yesterday. Jesus wept.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

each to their own but personally I'd prefer to watch football than an excercise in man marking (Regardless of how much skill and organisation is involved) and trying to force a nil nil when reading have a team perfectly capable of beating united. It's dull but I do see your point.

You can't say "each to their own" then say that man-marking isn't football. Make up your mind.

Can't believe the amount of kneejerkers that have popped up over the past two weeks as well; have Aberdeen fans always been this fickle? Two bad performances (alright, so "bad" is a bit of an understatement) and people are calling for Jimmy's head? Ridiculous.

Granted, some of them are just being pricks about it, but there's a lot of people have been very critical for a long time. Very rarely has he got the best out of the side.

You can't say "each to their own" then say that man-marking isn't football. Make up your mind.

last time i checked "each to their own" meant that you were entitled to your opinion and i was entitled to mine. Maybe I misunderstood the term?

I'm not trying to start an arguement, i just meant that I prefer watching an open ended attacking game to a defensive one where the players energies are spent trying to nullify the attacks of their opponents as opposed to focussing on their own.

I'm sorry if that offends you in any way

Granted, some of them are just being pricks about it, but there's a lot of people have been very critical for a long time. Very rarely has he got the best out of the side.

Which is fair enough. Just can't stand tools who sing his praises one minute then yelp "JIMMY OUT!" as soon as a result doesn't go out way.

Guest idol_wild

Is anyone else a Brewster fan, or am I the only one? A lot of the chimps on various AFC fansites seem to have a completely irrational hatred for the man (I assume it's because he's old). Alright, he's slow but he's one of very few Dons players that actually knows how to use his brain. Decent hold-up play and he's good at bringing others into the game... brings a lot more to the table than Mackie & co. in my opinion.

I think Brewster was a pretty good piece of business when he was brought in. Not only is he useful on the pitch, but he's an invaluable influence upon the players behind the scenes, I'm sure. This man knows the game well and, I feel, will be added to the coaching staff at the end of this season on a full-time basis. Obviously, being 41 years old, he won't start many games - but he'll do good when we need him most this season.

I'm still confident Aberdeen will put a run together to push us into the top six before the split, but I doubt we'll be challenging for third again. But so long as we get a cup run, this won't bother me too much.

To try and take your mind off Sunday, here is the Scotland squad for Pittodrie friendly against South Africa next Wednesday

SCOTLAND A SQUAD

Goalkeepers

Neil Alexander (Ipswich Town)

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders

Graham Alexander (Preston North End)

Russell Anderson (Sunderland)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Alan Hutton (Rangers)

Jay McEveley (Derby County)

Stephen McManus (Celtic)

Steven Pressley (Celtic)

Midfield

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Stephen Pearson (Derby County)

Barry Robson (Dundee United)

Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards

Craig Beattie (West Bromwich Albion)

Kris Boyd (Rangers)

James McFadden (Everton)

Shaun Maloney (Aston Villa)

Kenny Miller (Celtic)

Garry O’Connor (Birmingham City)

Weir is probably being rested as he has Champions League games and is getting on a bit. Perhaps Big Eck has noticed that Hartley is pish. Ferguson will be rested, as Eck will need to try a new midfield for Lithuania, since Bazza is suspended. Naismith is in the Under 21 team. Gary Naysmith I take it will be rested as well? No Seve? 4 keepers? Good to see Robson called up. Get Hutton right out of that squad!!

Thats my thoughts.

last time i checked "each to their own" meant that you were entitled to your opinion and i was entitled to mine. Maybe I misunderstood the term?

I'm not trying to start an arguement, i just meant that I prefer watching an open ended attacking game to a defensive one where the players energies are spent trying to nullify the attacks of their opponents as opposed to focussing on their own.

I'm sorry if that offends you in any way

Fair enough, just seemed like you'd contradicted yourself, sorry.

Killie...2 Arabs...1

Ya fucking dancer!!!

Apparently we were on a loss until the ref sent Kalvenes off for what looked like a perfectly clean tackle.

Tough on United, but I'll take the three points any way I can get them.

I had 5 on Killie winning 2-1, purely based on the fact that Billy Dodds said it would be. If you go on the bbc website, he predicted every single SPL game's outcome this weekend, including the exact Killie score, ICT v. Motherwell score, and Dons v. Hearts scores.

Writing him an email just now, thanking him for making me a rather large sum of money.

Next week i'm going to put money on what ever he says!!

I have yet to understand this myself, three is perfectly adequate, generous even!

Might give this game a miss TBH, not sure yet.......

He might be using this as a chance to assess McGregor, Marshall and Alexander and decide to drop one before Lithuania game. To be fair, McLeish hasn't seen much of those three up close since becoming manager. Marshall is my bet to stay at home.

I'm going to the game. Looking forward to it, as it'll make me even more excited about the trips to Hampden and the Parc de Prince :love:

Currently got a competition with the other 8 guys in the travelling party, to see who can get the ugliest Scotland top for the trip. Think i'm winning so far, but need the Pink away top to complete the collection...

Is this McEvely boy any good? Is he actually Scottish? Is he a full back?

I reckon if Seve continues in defence he can say cheerio to his Scotland call ups. I don't think he'd ever be a regular but a good guy to have in for certain games to shore up the midfield when need be.

Robson deserves his call up.

Are McFadden and Fletcher going to be getting a game at their clubs you reckon?

fletcher came on as a sub against reading yesterday. looks like he's being used as a midfield utility sub these days. McFadden should hopefully be getting a gamefor everton, still rate him as one of (if not) the best scottish players right now so it'd be a shame to see him lose his sharpness warming the bench all season.

personally, i wouldn't mind seeing agbonglahor in a scotland shirt. He's got bags of pace and scored quite afew in the prem last season. not sure where he'd play for us but it's always good to have the option to bring on players with his qualities.

Is this McEvely boy any good? Is he actually Scottish? Is he a full back?

I reckon if Seve continues in defence he can say cheerio to his Scotland call ups. I don't think he'd ever be a regular but a good guy to have in for certain games to shore up the midfield when need be.

Robson deserves his call up.

1. McEvely is a great player from what i've seen. Fantastic left foot, great crosser of the ball. He is 100% a left back. Qualifies with a Scottish Grandfather. Neil might be able to confirm my thoughts, as he's a Derby fan.

2. Was talking to someone that is friends with Seve; she said that he's so fucked off with not getting a callup for the International team earlier in the year, he doubt he'd join up with them in the future. His exact words were something along the lines of "Fuck Scotland". This was the morning of the game v. Rangers, that the Dons won last season. She was round at his house that morning and spoke to him about it then.

3. Agree Robson deserves a call up. One of the most talented ICT players we've ever had.

4. McFadden should really think about his options, considering he wasn't even on the bench on saturday. Despite Everton selling Beattie & Vaughn being injured. Now they're buying Fernandes, who plays where McFadden has been used for Everton a lot. Fletcher could sit tight for 6 months to see what happens. At least if he's only playing 1 out of 3 games or so, there's less chance of him being injured for Scotland games I suppose...

Watched the Scotland 1 v. Holland 0 game the other day. A 19 year old Fletcher and 20 year old Faddy, were absolutely incredible. Scary to think that team also had McCann, Wilkie, Douglas and Pressley starting as well!!

I heard McFadden is injured. Anybody else?

According to Tartan Army messageboard he was injured for Everton's game on saturday, but will be fit for their game tomorrow. BBC say he's still injured for the game tomorrow.

He had a bit of a pre-season where he scored one and set up another against Werder Bremen, but canna be anywhere near match fit. He's a cert to start against South Africa if fit enough though.

As for taking Lovell of before Mackie, I was also disappointed - it'd be nice to see him play 90 minutes more frequently. However, I felt Calderwood showed major balls for doing this. He knew that if he hooked Mackie, the fans would have cheered the fact that Mackie was coming off - this would have shattered Mackie's confidence even further. Thus, he'd take longer to refind the confidence he requires to operate at his dangerous best. Calderwood took the stick from the fickle fans, so that Mackie didn't have to. Good move, in my opinion.

I know what you're syaing and you've raised some really good points there.

I must just say though, that as far as I'm concerned, Mackie is a big boy playing for a team who want to be third best in Scotland again and are in the UEFA cup. There is no room for a player short of confidence or in need of special treatment in this team. Or in the "ideal" kind of team Jimmy talks about.

I'm sure he doesn't consider Maguire, Brewster or Touzani's feelings when he tells them they are not playing, so I don't see why Mackie should be turned into such a special case.

No single player is bigger or more important than the club!

Guest idol_wild

I'm sure he doesn't consider Maguire, Brewster or Touzani's feelings when he tells them they are not playing, so I don't see why Mackie should be turned into such a special case.

No single player is bigger or more important than the club!

I agree. But Mackie is our most dangerous player when he's confident. That is why he was our top scorer last season. I think good mangement involves managing each player's demeanour and individual personality. Personally, though, I wouldn't have started Mackie on Sunday. In fact, I wouldn't start him until he came off the bench and scored a goal and got his confidence up.

I'm almost certain Mackie will get a goal against Celtic. He always saves his best performances for home games against Celtic. I just really, really, really hope the Aberdeen support get behind him early doors, though.