aberdeen-music

New Who

Afro Droid

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching it again, I can honestly say the final 15 minutes was by far among the finest things I have ever seen on British television. It's not an excuse for how average series three has been so far, but Utopia has certainly brought together some of the themes shown so far (Face of Boe, the watch, time being a wibbly wobbly thingy etc) in the series.

I am very much looking forward to the next two episodes, and I rarely care for a television series in such a way :D

Such a shame it ended so badly, terrible last episode, the whole Dr getting his power back was Bad Wolf all over again, sad to see Martha going and the Master wouldnt want to die like that for a second, he'd just agree to travel with the Dr in the Tardis then do a runner, Delgado and Ainley must be spinning in their graves. They need to let Moffat loose on a finale to see how it could be done.

it had some thrilling moments but was largely a disappointment - too much sentimental mush thrown in the mix once more - i'm now at the point of being beyond fed up how the docs female assistant is hopelessly in love with him. its just so cringeworthy.

but credit to john simm for portraying the master in that same villanous pantomime baddie mode as done so well in the past by anthony ainsley and roger delgado.

have been largely disappointed with series have to admit

The problem I see with the finale was that it was so Martha-centred, in an episode where she was leaving. Had she been kept for the next series, it would have been fantastic to see her achieve what she did, then go onto the fourth series knowing she was the Doctor's equal, and could have provided a pretty worthwhile companion without the angst we have seen so far.

As it is, the entire episode should have revolved around the Master and the Doctor and their confrontation, not the companion who was leaving anyway.

My other problem was was with the Master's death - he gave up control to the Doctor because he wouldn't ever want to die, but refused to regenerate because he would be trapped as the Doctor's prisoner? He's a bloody time-lord, he would have the patience to realise that he could have the time to work out an escape.

That said, the revelation about Jack came out of nowhere, and I loved it. The finale was excellent, despite the reset-button ending - I was glad we didn't see the Doctor become deus-ex machina as Rose was in the finale of the first series. All in all, it was a decent ending, but it could have been so much better.

My other problem was was with the Master's death - he gave up control to the Doctor because he wouldn't ever want to die, but refused to regenerate because he would be trapped as the Doctor's prisoner? He's a bloody time-lord, he would have the patience to realise that he could have the time to work out an escape.

But the bit at the end with the hand and the ring and the laughter? I don't think we've seen the last of the Master.

And the hand that picked up the ring? The Rani apparently.

Also Jack's Face of Boe comment... now I didnt expect that.

But the bit at the end with the hand and the ring and the laughter? I don't think we've seen the last of the Master.

And the hand that picked up the ring? The Rani apparently.

Also Jack's Face of Boe comment... now I didnt expect that.

Me neither. So does that mean that jack became/becomes the face of boe..in the future...but he can't die... so confusing...

I'm gonna have to watch torchwood once its back on now.

And the hand that picked up the ring? The Rani apparently..

Ooh indeed. I do hope it's John Simms again, though :D

On the Titanic though? Given my love of the ship, I'm going to have a whale of a time with the Christmas special.

torchwood wasn't inept, just naive and a tad misguided in places.

Much of the ineptness wasn't on the writing/production side, more the fact that as an elite team of "special forces" they caused more problems than they solved. Hell they all broke essential rules at least once to set up that week's monster fuck-up, it was hilarious.