aberdeen-music

Beth Ditto vs Kate Moss as face of topshop

A.Pel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what the problem is with shops using a size 10 model. A few years ago that was the ideal size to be and it's just shrunk ever since, to the extent that it's a news worthy event when Dorothy Perkins or whatever uses a size 12 model. It's ridiculous. No matter how much weight I lose I'd never be a size 0. My hips wouldn't allow it thank god, even if I was down to skin and bones my hips would probably still be about 34".

Do guys get the same pressure from the media about their physique?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I think guys do get it to an extent. They always too skinny or too big or too hairy/hairless depending on media trends.

Can't say I've ever felt under any pressure myself, but I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing. Last I heard, the hairy chest was back in vogue (score!).

Men are better at not giving a shit. Unless they are one of those little Indie types with ludicrously styled hair, they probably do.

Nah, men are as susceptible to body image problems regardless of musical tastes. I still worry about my physique now and i'm 27 and nowhere near a 'little indie type with ludicrously styled hair'. Body image problems aren't gender specific and there are always going to be the Brad Pitt/ Johnny Depp/Justin Timberlake types that men are made to feel like they should aspire to be like physically. Women drool over toned pecs and arms and washboard stomachs as much as men drool over flat stomachs, pert breasts and peachy arses and that's reflected in the press/media/film/music etc. You very rarely see an 'average' man with his shirt unbuttoned in a music vid or a Davidoff Cool Water ad now do you?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Nah, men are as susceptible to body image problems regardless of musical tastes. I still worry about my physique now and i'm 27 and nowhere near a 'little indie type with ludicrously styled hair'. Body image problems aren't gender specific and there are always going to be the Brad Pitt/ Johnny Depp/Justin Timberlake types that men are made to feel like they should aspire to be like physically. Women drool over toned pecs and arms and washboard stomachs as much as men drool over flat stomachs, pert breasts and peachy arses and that's reflected in the press/media/film/music etc. You very rarely see an 'average' man with his shirt unbuttoned in a music vid or a Davidoff Cool Water ad now do you?

I'm surprised, does it really bother you that much? It shouldn't. Relax, the most attractive thing in a person to others is if they're happy in their own skin, irrespective of appearance. Men aren't nearly as bad for obsessing about it. Look at the gender ratio for eating disorders.

Sadly true. Each sex is as bad as the other for admiring the stereotypes of perfection Jude Law is personal guilty pleasure. In reality Ive never found any muscle bound men that Ive met attractive not once. To me its something that looks fine thats fine, not fantastic - on a TV screen all glitzed up but the reality of it is quite unappealing. I actually find a lot of muscle to be really very repulsive though I know a small minority of girls that adore it. A normal, healthy body is by far the best thing to have in my eyes. Most girls I know are usually inclined to agree. The odd trip to the gym doesnt go astray but I always feel suspicious of someone who spends so much time grooming their body and looks. Its also crap to cuddle a rock.

yep i have to say i agree with that... 6 pack and muscley arms just isn't nice. i like guys that are not too thin and not too fat, just normal. the last guy i was with was 5ft 10 and only about 8 stone and lying next to him made me feel like the fattest size 14ish in the world, haha.

yep i have to say i agree with that... 6 pack and muscley arms just isn't nice. i like guys that are not too thin and not too fat, just normal. the last guy i was with was 5ft 10 and only about 8 stone and lying next to him made me feel like the fattest size 14ish in the world, haha.

Ack, yes. There is something distressing about bedding a guy who has pointier hip bones than you. Distressing and rather painful the next morning too. And theres no fun in wearing your boyfriend's shirt if it's the right size.

Guest bluesxman

OK, i'll add you to my list of men who do give a shit then. :up:

Men who need to look like that are usually paid enough to have to do it and have the time to spend on getting to look like that. The rest of us have a life and so can only try to do what we can to avoid getting overly fat which is hard when God created beer.

EDIT - I wasn't originally having a go at Indie music fans they just tend to have stupider haircuts. Not all though.

Making fun of the Sun is always welcome, but when you end up with girls discussing how fat they feel sometimes it gets a bit sad.

i think the point i, and the others, were trying to convey was that we prefer men not to be super skinny. i don't think any of us said we thought we were huge and obese and fat but whatever.

To be perfectly honest, its not so much what you look like, its how comfortable you are and how you carry yourself. Someone who is content is more attractive than someone who's overly self-concious.

I think bigger guys are lovely (best hugs ever) - but only if they like how they look and arn't all like ''Oooh I'm going to cut out the pies'' like folk at my work, cos that is fucking annoying. However,v.skinny guys can look equally as good provided they arn't going to be an arse about it. No-one wants to hang about with a depressed and emancipated bastard.

As for the girls, I do think v.skinny girls look beautiful (I would like to be like that myself but I love food too much and I can't be arsed anyway). Beth Ditto is ''cool'' because she just doesn't give a shit; she's out to have fun and not let anyone piss her off.

There is no perfect body/man/woman, there are so many more aspects which make up a person. We're all made to look a certain way and be different. If everyone starved themselves and looked the same it would be one shite world, says me whos tucking into a chinese right now.

EYOY.

No-one wants to hang about with a depressed and emancipated bastard.

Hahah. I'm a quite happily "emancipated" although admittedly somtimes morose bastard, but my weight has little to do with that. I'm glad that my metabolism and healthy diet has resulted in me being 6'5" and weighing roughly 10.5 stone.

Personally, I just don't find women with the physique or the mentality of beth ditto remotely attractive and I don't see how anyone could.

Guest bluesxman

On a side note, I have noticed recently that decent looking shirts and jackets seem to be cut across the shoulders with the frame of a 12 year old girl in mind. I'm not exactly 'built', yet everything seems to feel like I could bust out the shoulders.

Guest bluesxman
I've noted this too. More recently when I've been shopping with my other half I've noted that in particular shops - certainly Topman - he sometimes has to take a size up - purely for the shoulders - and he certainly hasn't gotten any bigger weight wise.

Yeah, I recently spotted a wadge of decent shirts and stuff in a Debenhams mega cheap, went into the changing rooms armed to the teeth and only bought one item. Even when I went up to XL the shoulders were still hella tight while the body got longer and looser. So obviously it was designed with the cone shaped man in mind. No wonder I have regressed to T shirts and jeans again, anything else is too troublesome.

Topman is good for cheap long sleeve T shirts but I have found XL is necessary as shrinkage after washing puts size L a bit snug round my man belly. And as we all know a man with a belly in too tight a T shirt is as bad as girls with fat roll sticking out between too tight/small jeans and too small top.

Yeah, I recently spotted a wadge of decent shirts and stuff in a Debenhams mega cheap, went into the changing rooms armed to the teeth and only bought one item. Even when I went up to XL the shoulders were still hella tight while the body got longer and looser. So obviously it was designed with the cone shaped man in mind. No wonder I have regressed to T shirts and jeans again, anything else is too troublesome.

Topman is good for cheap long sleeve T shirts but I have found XL is necessary as shrinkage after washing puts size L a bit snug round my man belly. And as we all know a man with a belly in too tight a T shirt is as bad as girls with fat roll sticking out between too tight/small jeans and too small top.

Haha, i have the same problem- less the belly. I'm 6'4" and have broad shoulders and long arms. Physique-wise i can get into a medium but if i don't want to look like i'm wearing a crop top thats not an option, they're just too short. I usually wear a Large but recently i've been noticing that all shirts are so narrow across the shoulder at that size. I can get in them fine but i'm always worried i'm going to have a Hulk style burst out as they really strain across my shoulders and i wouldn't dare lift my arms. I can't go for an X-Large as they fucking well billow out at the bottom because i don't have the belly to fill it, so i look ridiculous in both :(

I also hate the fact that i have to go a size up waist-wise as they don't do an inside leg long enough in my usual waist measurement.

Fashion is geared to make people feel fat unless they conform to a certain body shape, as it always has been but now thats encroaching into the field of 'normal' clothes there's no escape.

... I have regressed to T shirts and jeans again

That's pretty much all I wear these days. Plain t-shirts, plain jeans. I hate shopping mainly because it's so difficult to find decent, ordinary clothes. Clothes which are covered in daft symbols, writing, images, rips? no thanks!

Bus into town, hit Markies, bus home, job done lol.

As for the weight/fashion issue - it's all bollocks really.

EDIT: I did however, buy a 'vintage' Kiss t-shirt a few weeks back that fits me like a glove...but I wouldn't dare wear it outdoors ;-)