aberdeen-music

New Aberdeen compilation

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although if i was looking for the best bands to be on it i would have done just that, went looking, find out who has been the more established/succesful etc first, got them to agree to it, then i would have posted on here to fill the rest of it up. what we may see here is that many of the more established/better bands ignoring it because they percieve it to be any old cd or a pipe dream.

You make a good point, which is why we are not only considering bands replying to this, we are also seeking out other acts that have not responded and asking them individually.

Guest bluesxman

If someone tried to hand me a CD called 'Fit Like Aberdeen' I wouldn't even take one even if it was free, sounds like something that would be filled with horrible joke songs in Doric or something.

It will have a much higher press run and will also be distributed outside of Aberdeen in record shops and venues all around Scotland. The plan is to distribute this to record labels, radio stations and the press nationwide in order to expose the local music scene.

Aberdeen is very much ignored in terms of the music scene, and the fact that Go North isn't being hosted here this year isn't going to help matters. Hopefully this compilation will turn things around.

The apparent confusion over why aberdeen is "ignored" never fails to amuse me.

There is nothing to differentiate aberdeen's student/hobby band scene from any of the others in any other small city in the world. You would think all the time spent whoring around on myspace by every local band and it's dog would have made people more aware of just how run of the mill and utterly insignificant most of the stuff going on here is. Perhaps it will take a little longer to sink in....

No offense to anyone in particular, but the reason aberdeen is not being touted as being home to fantastic creative musical talent is because there simply isn't any here in any meaningful quantity, there is no unique "aberdeen sound", there is no genuinely unique or exciting music coming out of the so-called "scene" here. It's not a PR problem.

If you think putting a bunch of demo tracks from random unsigned artists on a cd and spamming it around radio stations, labels and the press whilst claiming it represents "the aberdeen scene" is going to acheive anything positive, good luck to you and whoever's putting up the money for it, you're going to need it.

Guest Kilgore Trout
The apparent confusion over why aberdeen is "ignored" never fails to amuse me.

There is nothing to differentiate aberdeen's student/hobby band scene from any of the others in any other small city in the world. You would think all the time spent whoring around on myspace by every local band and it's dog would have made people more aware of just how run of the mill and utterly insignificant most of the stuff going on here is. Perhaps it will take a little longer to sink in....

No offense to anyone in particular, but the reason aberdeen is not being touted as being home to fantastic creative musical talent is because there simply isn't any here in any meaningful quantity, there is no unique "aberdeen sound", there is no genuinely unique or exciting music coming out of the so-called "scene" here. It's not a PR problem.

If you think putting a bunch of demo tracks from random unsigned artists on a cd and spamming it around radio stations, labels and the press whilst claiming it represents "the aberdeen scene" is going to acheive anything positive, good luck to you and whoever's putting up the money for it, you're going to need it.

aye, maistly right.

there are a few good bands though so a compilation full of aberdonian stuff with a few gems on it will make the good bands stand out.

it's probably going to be pish though. these things usually are.

I have to disagree with you there Stripey. There is plenty of talent in Aberdeen. Aberdeen is a victim of geography and an England/central belt Scotland bias; these are not cliches. Look at the NME for example, a tabloid-for-indie/emo-scenesters-crock-of-shit it may be, but every year they do some students guide booklet thingy in preparation for the new uni year. Aberdeen doesn't even get a mention and Aberdeen is a university city. Why doesn't it get a mention? is it because the musical talent is shit? of course not; there are as many good unsigned bands in Aberdeen as in, say Norwich, it's just that Aberdeen has never had national recognition or an identity of any sort. All it will take is one band to make it (edgar prais no doubt) and things will change. I guarantee you that Dundee will be featured in the next edition due to the View's success. Nuff said.

By the way, Eddison are extremely interested in featuring on this compilation. We would be happy to donate Northern Soul from our album if you'd have it.

Guest Kilgore Trout

the only solution to this is obviously scottish independance. that will bring the aberdeen music scene the recognition it deserves, or not as the case may be.

c'mon the weapon!

You're "from Aberdeen." Glad to know you think of yourself as being just as uninteresting as the rest of us.

You're "from Aberdeen." Glad to know you think of yourself as being just as uninteresting as the rest of us.

Oh grow up and take your schoolboy logic elsewhere. Perhaps if more people cared less about where they're from and thought more about music in a global context, there would be more interesting material around.