aberdeen-music

Guitar Lessons

Guest Kora

Considering taking up guitar lessons, I have an old acoustic guitar which I used to play when I was about 12 but my parents couldn't afford lessons at the time.

Could anyone tell me where I might get lessons and how much they are likely to cost?

Or at least tell me how those of you who do play the guitar learned. I want to start of with the one I have and upgrade it when I'm good at it.

That is if I decide to give it a go. :band:

Originally posted by Superterrorizer

Either all that or pick it up yourself...tricky at first but very satisfying once you can play the riffs to your fav songs.

Amen - spent days figuring out how to use tabs. But the final product is far more satisfying knowing that you, on your own have tought yourself to a decent level.

But if you want i think corn from Hot mangu Was also giving lessons - i also had some lessons with a guy called William? Norvil who - last time i saw him - was working at bruce millers. He was sound and tought you the basics in a decent manner.

Originally posted by Superterrorizer

Either all that or pick it up yourself...tricky at first but very satisfying once you can play the riffs to your fav songs.

i would say it would be best to get a few lessons to start with, it can be 'more rewarding' doing it yourself, but you will pick up some bad habits, bad hand positions etc.... one or two lessons (at least) to get you going on the right track

personally i didnt get along with lessons too well, but the ones i did take were usefull, i took some when i first started to get me going (just plain guitar lessons) and some more later on to keep me going in the right direction (but for rock guitar, not in general)

David

Screw the lessons man, teach yourself!!

I started playing on my dad's (RIGHT-HANDED!!) Martin acoustic, so I played everything upside down.

Got a a tab to "One" by Metallica and started strumming. Its a good song to start with I think as it gets progressively difficult on the intro riff.

Eventually I started playing on a left handed guitar and had to learn everything again hehe! I woulnd't recommend doing that though, as by the time i switched I had already played a gig (albeit an extremely shoddy one) on a right handed guitar!

• 11 months later...

booo lessons!

i started when i was 12/13 learning the basslines to bleach by nirvana.

then my brother showed me that adding your pinky to the string below made a power chord.

sinse then ive picked up some chords when ive joined bands or through watching mtv.

now i can usually figure out a chord by hearing it.

i think lessons may be good for learning theory....but you cant teach an ear for music.

which is what i have gained through teaching myself.

if you want some pointers id be happy to give them in exchange for cheap white wine. :)

booo lessons!

i think lessons may be good for learning theory....but you cant teach an ear for music.

which is what i have gained through teaching myself.

The internet is good for learning the theory and I'd say lessons are better for practical application where someone can show/tell you things a computer or book can't. I f you don't know anything about the guitar then I'd say lessons untill you have a grasp of it.

The internet is good for learning the theory and I'd say lessons are better for practical application where someone can show/tell you things a computer or book can't. I f you don't know anything about the guitar then I'd say lessons untill you have a grasp of it.

yeah the internet is fine....i just think that lessons are overated.

take eddie van halen....ok he was classicly trained on piano, but took no guitar lessons. he just copied what he heard on records or seen other people playing.

through this he developed his own very unique style.

i think this is whats to gain through not taking lessons...more feel and more style.

i'm not against people taking lessons, but i dont really see the benefits of it.

All the 'self taught' people I've seen play have been shite. Lessons generally take you over rock guitar technique which is very useful when starting out. They also give you a drive - targets to meet etc mind you I played for about a year and half before getting any. You should probably get to grips with the basics before taking lessons.

I recently had a few *classical* guitar lessons from Paul Holroyd which were really good as he's a classical beast - for anyone interested in that!

All the 'self taught' people I've seen play have been shite. Lessons generally take you over rock guitar technique which is very useful when starting out. They also give you a drive - targets to meet etc mind you I played for about a year and half before getting any. You should probably get to grips with the basics before taking lessons.

I recently had a few *classical* guitar lessons from Paul Holroyd which were really good as he's a classical beast - for anyone interested in that!

I disagree, Im self taught and I get by ok, em, I think

Personally, I prefer taking gutiar lessons. Ive played guitar for nearly 6 years now, and I still tod along once a week. It keeps me focused on practicing, and it gives me the chance to work on techniques/scales/sound that I really would not work at if I was just on my own... If that makes any sense

I do lesson @ the uncommercial rate of 10 /hour. Working with 2 complete beginners, one ive been teaching for about 6 months and hes progressing, the other just started. Will only teach from complete beginner to intermediate(Grade 5). I'll teach u what u want to know!!! U like rock/metal based guitar? Or maybe ur a wanna be jazzer??? Lessons can be done at the Torry Skylab or i will travel for an additional 3(obviously only so far)

I once heard that any rock guitar player can shred his/her ass off at lighting speed, u just have to go through the "weight training" phase!!!

I got lessons for a year when I was 14 and it gave me a good grounding I think. You get what you put into it basically. A friend of mine started at much the same time with the same teacher but actually practised and he turned out to be the best guitarist I know. Whereas I'm mediocre at best but can play what I want to play.