aberdeen-music

Guitar Lessons

Guest Kora

Guest davetherave

Never had a lesson in my life, I've taught a few people on request but I always try and let them develop their own sound/style, not copy my bad habits :o)

I'm told I have a fairly unique sound and style (guitar synth and lots of pedals help), and I believe this is because I never had lessons. On the other hand if you've never played a guitar in your life then a few pointers from an experienced player can really help, but at the end of the day its down to the 3 Ps, Practise, Practise and Practise :o)

Cheers

Dave

• 4 years later...

I've had lessons from loads of guitar teachers in Aberdeen. I would recommend either George Norval or Darren Barclay. Learnt more with these guys in months than i did with all the others put together.

Darrens email is darrenbarclay95@hotmail.com

George can be contacted through Bruce Millers on 01224 577208

Getting lessons is the way to go though, self taught is ok, but lessons help guide u down the right path and stop u waisting ur time with bad habits

take it easy

sean:up:

Just curious. A few folk are saying George Norval is a good teacher,but no-one has said much about why someone is a good teacher. Can anyone explain exactly what George Norval or the other good teachers actually teach (cleff? TAB? songs and riffs? exercises?)

I'm self taught and have often thought about advanced jazz based lessons for myself, and beginner's lessons for my son...

I teach a bit of bass (am qualified but still studying so not teaching full time...)

Sorry for the mass of text which follows, I just had a lot of thoughts to put out there!

I really would advise getting at least a few lessons to get you started, there are so many bad habits to pick up that will not only hamper your progress, but will lead to problems over time (RSI and other injuries)...these seem to be especially prevalant among guitarists, most likely due to the number of people who pick up an instrument and 'teach' themselves to play ;)

Also 'practise' is not always the answer, if you are doing something wrong and can't see why, doing it repeatedly won't solve the problem!

Any decent teacher will have a well balanced approach, focussing on building your technical ability, musicality and ear-training; exercises are obviously an essential tool, as for learning to read notation or tab that really depends on you and the teacher...personally I think reading is an invaluable tool if you want to be a versatile musician, however if you just want to play by ear/learn a few chords + riffs then it's not essential. It does take some effort on your part to learn, rather than relying on tab ;)

Also if you want to learn theory, you will learn much more efficiently from a decent teacher than from the web, the amount of misleading (or just plain wrong) info on the net is unreal...also the terminology varies a lot between different countries, such as UK/US.

For older pupils, the path lessons take is more under their control, it's really up to them how much time is spent on reading/improv/technical work/tunes; obviously I structure the lessons, but the emphasis on the specific aspects we work on is down to them.

For younger guys, I tend to focus on real tunes and/or exam work (ie rockschool tunes), as well as elements of ear-training and playing by ear/improv. Again, I tailor my approach depending on each pupil's wants and needs.

Guest droid

Getting lessons can be very fulfilling when being taught from an experienced musician and teacher.George Norval has been playing and teaching for well over 20 years now,and has passed on his knowledge to many a guitarist....[and bass player].It's a nice feeling when a pupil excells at their instruments.One of my first pupils went on to play bass for Morcheeba,so i think the things i taught him as an experienced bass player left him in good steading!

• 4 months later...