aberdeen-music

Forgotten food

Paulscoconutass

Wispas are gone now, as is the not bad but not that special Snickers Crunch.

I remember when they launched Wispa, all those years ago.

After a massive national teaser campaign to stir interest in the product, promote a feeding frenzy & to keep it secret until the last possible moment, Cadbury's decided to use some unconventional distribution methods - which included hiring the entire stock of vehicles from Mitchells Self Drive to make deliveries nationally at the very last moment. Mainly because they guessed right that nobody in the London media (yes, even they got caught-up in it) would have an interest in what was happening here, or possibly even know where Aberdeen was.

Which was a bit of a bugger as Mitchells, at the time were about the only firm here to offer overnight rental to bands & for a full week each side of the launch (vans were all prepped with new graphics etc which then had to be removed), you couldn't get a Transit for love nor money for your gig.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sit corrected.....no petrol head me....I walk mostly. I still should've remembered though, as I have fond memories of swallowing pints of the stuff when my mechanic dad taught me to siphon petrol as a nipper.

Yes...had a few mouthfulls of 4star in my day...well I had to keep the Mk1 GT Cortina going somehow...petrol was 2s 6p a gallon after all!!!!

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Tudor Specials crisps.

Pacers (already mentioned)

Spangles

Texan bars (my local newsagent had some early this year as a "limited edition" so I bought one, utter shite, gone in two bites whereas the old ones had you wrestling with it for hours to finish it)

Salt 'n Shake crisps, with various flavour sachets, I know they still do the one w/just the normal salt sachet. They used to have a fish 'n chip flavoured one.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

if Mad Dog is unavailable at most supermarkets (which I'm not even certain), it is definitely available at the Evening Express newsagent on King Street - directly opposite the side of Morrison's. I've never tried the stuff, or its cousin Buckfast for that matter.

if Mad Dog is unavailable at most supermarkets (which I'm not even certain), it is definitely available at the Evening Express newsagent on King Street - directly opposite the side of Morrison's. I've never tried the stuff, or its cousin Buckfast for that matter.

it still features heavily in most point of sale displays in just about every 24hour shop in glasgow, along with Buckfast, which you really must try:up:

Brannigans were available earlier this year at the newsagent on union street across from the music hall. Havn't been in there lately so maybe not anymore.

Reisen chews are available from farmfoods on 4 for a poun promotion.

I (being the salty snack fiend that I am) would like the following back in the shops:

Ringos : Not the reissued sort from the 90's but the 80's ones

Football Crazies: Smokey bacon corn balls.

Jaws (The snack that bites back!) : Jaws movie tie in from the eighties available in spicy tomato and bbq flavours if my memory serves me. They were shaped like sharks jaws!

80's monster munch : Pennies can't buy a bigger snack!

Pretzel Flipz!! They were the best, but only the chocolate covered ones. I could die a happy woman if they brought those back. Horridly addictive but soooo sooooo good.

And I second Wispas. I loved them.

Both Woolies and the sweetie stall at that Christmas market are doing a line in chocolate covered pretzels just now if that interests you any...

honeycomb yorkie's, the ones in the golden wrapper, and um bungo.

just thinking, perhaps the disappearance of um bungo is related to some form of U.N trade sanction enforced on the congo (or whatever it's called now)?

um bongo was relaunced last year as a chilled drink, it came in a plastic bottle.

still tasted the same. i think you can still get it in asda.

Guest DustyDeviada
80's monster munch : Pennies can't buy a bigger snack!

Good call, the current Monster Munch crisps are just too damn small.

I used to like Spiras, even though it was really just Dairy Milk chocolate with holes through it.

Does anybody else think it's strange how Walkers seemed to come from nowhere to dominate the crisp market seemingly overnight? Back in the day you didn't get Walkers, you had your Golden Wonder, your Tudor, your Smiths and your KP. Then at some point in the 90s Walkers turned up, turning the industry on it's head with it's revolutionary system of green bags for salt and vinegar and blue for cheese and onion.

Oh and I liked the salt and shake crisps, but they were a bit salty, especially the little blue ones. ;)

Guest Bob Double Jack

Oh and I liked the salt and shake crisps, but they were a bit salty, especially the little blue ones. ;)

monster munch - are they smaller, or is it just because we're all bigger?

flavour and shake crisps, much like the salt and shake, but with flavour in a bag. i also found the blue crisps a bit salty, and they overshadowed the otherwise flavourless crisps.8-)

Guest DustyDeviada
monster munch - are they smaller, or is it just because we're all bigger?

flavour and shake crisps, much like the salt and shake, but with flavour in a bag. i also found the blue crisps a bit salty, and they overshadowed the otherwise flavourless crisps.8-)

Nah, Monster Munch were definitely bigger back in the day, you would never get away with the tagline "Pennies can't buy a bigger snack" for the puny Monster Munch you get nowadays.

I remember the Flavour and Shake crisps, they were crap. And what's the point of Salt and Shake crisps anyway?

I used to like Spiras, even though it was really just Dairy Milk chocolate with holes through it.

Does anybody else think it's strange how Walkers seemed to come from nowhere to dominate the crisp market seemingly overnight? Back in the day you didn't get Walkers, you had your Golden Wonder, your Tudor, your Smiths and your KP. Then at some point in the 90s Walkers turned up, turning the industry on it's head with it's revolutionary system of green bags for salt and vinegar and blue for cheese and onion.

oh how i love the internet...

Many of Walkers brands were formerly branded under the Smiths Crisps name. This comes from the time when Walkers, Smiths and Tudor were the three main brands of Nabisco's UK snack division with Tudor being marketed mainly in the north of England and Walkers in the south. After the takeover by Pepsico the Tudor name was dropped and the Smiths brand has gradually been phased out in favour of Walkers.

Yup, I was pretty certain Walkers came originally from one or more older brands - Didn't they get their cock-eyed Salt & Vinegar/Cheese & Onion colours from Smiths?

Does anyone else remember the brilliant freebies that Tudor used to do? At primary school (which was about the only place that sold them up here), we used to have great collection networks going for them - which usually involved scouring the playgrounds & bins of neighbouring schools after hours. :D

Guest DustyDeviada
oh how i love the internet...

Many of Walkers brands were formerly branded under the Smiths Crisps name. This comes from the time when Walkers, Smiths and Tudor were the three main brands of Nabisco's UK snack division with Tudor being marketed mainly in the north of England and Walkers in the south. After the takeover by Pepsico the Tudor name was dropped and the Smiths brand has gradually been phased out in favour of Walkers.

You learn something new every day, thanks for the info. :up:

The adverts for Tudor with Geordie paperboys were great though, much better than the gash Walkers ones with Lineker.

And as for Smiths, who remembers the ace adverts for them with the singing tatties? (To the tune of 'Bobby's Girl', "We want to be Smiths crisps, we want to be...")