diablo

diuretics- do you believe me now michael? :p

10 easy wishes

alyssas wish

black atom

x-certs

hexagonal pensioners

risactonia

orwell (should go to see you guys live, only heard the cd :up: )

these must be included too:

[hot mangu

cleartone

seven stone under

apraxia]

keep up the good work :band:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres my favourite aberdeen bands...not in any order,but nevertheless these bands all kickass equally in ma opinion anywho...

politik

masamune

hookersgreen No.1

dedalus

electric tibet

eric euan

king liar and the brutes

nero

real shocks

the needles..not quite local now and if i can have the needles can i maybe have josephine too..cuz they are really cool,one of my favourite bands!:cheers:

(in order)

Fluffy & the Rainbow Bunnies (new songs)

Hexagonal Pensioners (new songs)

Turning 13

Loaded

E106

Apraxia

Flight 19 (new songs)

X-certs (old songs)

Normans Fetish

hmmmm - cant think - havent seen any bands other than the HEXPENS & Fluffy and the Rainbow Bunnies that have stood out and made me say 'WOW!!! THITS FUCKING GOOD MUSIC@

Guest Mr Blastcap

what a debate...

i like the thrust of the post rock versus pop snobbery argument , exept its bullshit. i like pop music and have even purchased some rather "mainstream" cds, busted are good and can write tunes you know, pinks new lp is pretty cool- and a lot of the best sonic youth stuff is very poppy to my mind goo for instance has some really good songs on it. the whole thing about certain types of music being inferior from an intellectual standpoint is rubbish, its music whatever floats yopur boat/boats dude!

in relation to aberdeen , the so called mainstream bands are simply pretty crap bands- and the art rock bands are just better at what they do....and i have seen a lot of the more popular bands that are supposed to be melodic and they are simply shit pub rock.

i have a jazzmaster now.

its neat.

you all suck.

my top 10 is thus.

politik

masamune

ian simpson

spike

a.w (but dont tell anyone)

ken hutchin

stacato set (gel rock themes)

sidca ( we are the horse)

quik

eclectic tibet ( total coctail)

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

after a long hard thought my answer is this:

(in order of favour)

dedalus

sidca

the diuretics

orwell

vomitus

voice of aggression

alyssas wish

good one Frosty

*guffaw*

''....and thanks to my mom and to my deranged step dad for only beating me on a Friday, and to my Agent for infecting me with all of those virulent STDs and to the producer of the show for spooning cocaine into my nose while I slept, and most of all to you, the people of the message boreds, who have made me feel so special Im away for a wee wank......sob...etc''

And with that the Bono-out-of-U2 of the Aberdeen Massage Bored was born!

Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

We take great compliment to the mention of robots *wipes oily tear from eye*

I was there last night... watching the Brutes, twas so mighty I bought the CD.

I had a red berret and blonde pigtails... lord know if you spotted me.

:love: King Liar and the brutes :love:

YES! YES! I....know....who....you.....are!

You are DEFINITELY NOT a man, that much has finally been established beyond ALL doubt. I saw you kick a Diuretic.

Questions:

1) There were about four other peole there sporting red-ish hats of various types - are you in some kind of gang?

2) Is the legend true? Are you from Ythanbank?

I never get out much so don't know what most bands are sounding like these days...

although....

CONTRA - will always get my vote

AKA THE FOX - were great last time I saw them...nice mix of stuff

QUIK - ain't heard them in ages, but they usually rip it up live!!! :D

10 EASY WISHES - cos they have the mighty A D A M ! ! ! !

MEXICAN BANDIT MOUSTACHE - Although only a one man bedroom project of Tom Easy Wishes, some of the best old school hardcore I've heard in years :D:D

Originally posted by daveofficer:

i disagree about the originality things a little bit, just cos no one else in aberdeen is doing it does make it valid i think. what' sthe point in sounding like another band in aberdeen? okay on a larger scale it might not be that original but where does that madness end? oh there's a band in japan that sound like you so you're not original.

Who is this post directed to?

I never said that Cuts or others weren't valid. I don't think the validity of a band is directly proportional to its originality. I was merely challenging Betamax's assertion that people outside of Aberdeen would be blown away by band X or Y's originality, when certain bands amongst his list don't strike me as being original.

It's nice to have bands within the City who are doing something different, but again, this is NOT originality. By that standard, if someone started a pop-punk band in Aberdeen with a keyboard player then that would be original.

The funny thing is, I agree with most of what you said, and yet it seems you're disagreeing with me.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

apparently aberdeen is riddled with skate short wearing, backwards baseball cap toting skate pop bands. can anyone name me 3 of them? people have some weird idea that the city is overcrowded with blink182 rip offs, but it's for want of a better word., bollocks. a lot of people have a real fetish for outrageously OUT THERE bands, man they're so wacky and original cos they get this, sound like fugazi!!!! now i'm not taking the piss out of art rock bands, i haven't heard dedalus, the cuts or politik and i think masamune are really good. but yeah, there is this sort of cult in aberdeen pissing me off right now championing these bands and fuck all else, try going to see some of the pop bands in aberdeen, there are actually a few good ones. I'm gettinbg quite pissed off at the divisions in this (already pretty ropey) 'scene' but i think people should really stop avoiding scenes and genres and just start watching more bnands in aberdeen. i for one vouch to start going to gigs to see bands i have never heard of, it's jhust that i am utterly skint right now, on the dole etc. so i'm just eating bread and trying to stay alive, beegees style but come the summer, it's gig time. i think people are pissed off with the music scene in abereden right now and this summer is where it all gets amended. WHO"S WITH ME!?

Don't slate FUGAZI ya damn punk! No one in Aberdeen sounds remotely like a fart coming out of Ian MacKaye's ass....let alone.... :D

Hey, I will add FLIGHT 19 in to my top 10 as they have a great drummer who has a great drum kit, and INEPT 303 could really do with a great drummer who actually wants to use his own drum kit......get in touch mr 19!!! :D:D

"Skate pop bands. Can anyone name me 3 of them?"

I don't know of any. Pity, was a fun genre.

Hey man, we could go see The Score sometime and arrive in time to see the support acts. What about Lady Mercedes? I've only seen them once and it was a whiley ago. Broaden our horizons and stuff.

Originally posted by Keilan 303:

Don't slate FUGAZI ya damn punk! No one in Aberdeen sounds remotely like a fart coming out of Ian MacKaye's ass....let alone.... :D

Hey, I will add FLIGHT 19 in to my top 10 as they have a great drummer who has a great drum kit, and INEPT 303 could really do with a great drummer who actually wants to use his own drum kit......get in touch mr 19!!! :D:D

Kelman of Flight 19 is one of the holy trinity that moved to London for DRUM SCHOOL!

Also missed are Ross of X-Certs and James of My Decaying Leg.

3 dammed fine punk/rock drummers.

it wasn't necessarily directed at you, more addressing some of the points you raised. i think i misconstrued what you'd said a wee bit bob, hence the bit about disagreeing a little bit. i just reread your post, i think it probably boiled down to the "rarities in the local scene" bit, the way you'd phrased that made it seem that it wasn't worth noting if it was just in the scene that they were original. hence the point about validity. i was probably just being daft but i think my points still stand. if a band is a product of their surroundings to a certain degree then if they're bringing something new to those surroundings it has to be original. i'd say it's also not as simple as that all the time, like you say simply adding a keyboard to a pop punk band wouldn't do it but it depends what the keyboard player is doing i guess.

it wasn't necessarily directed at you, more addressing some of the points you raised. i think i misconstrued what you'd said a wee bit bob, hence the bit about disagreeing a little bit. i just reread your post, i think it probably boiled down to the "rarities in the local scene" bit, the way you'd phrased that made it seem that it wasn't worth noting if it was just in the scene that they were original. hence the point about validity.

Ok. I wasn't saying that it wasn't worth noting. Far from it, having something that little bit different in our local scene is vital. A. It's entertaining B. It stops other bands thinking "in the box" all the time.

i was probably just being daft but i think my points still stand. if a band is a product of their surroundings to a certain degree then if they're bringing something new to those surroundings it has to be original. i'd say it's also not as simple as that all the time, like you say simply adding a keyboard to a pop punk band wouldn't do it but it depends what the keyboard player is doing i guess.

It would? I'm just confused now. Would 4 part harmonies in a punk rock band be original? Sorry, these questions are just getting annoying now aren't they?

masamune sound a bit like fugazi.

seems to me also that a lot of people seem to be saying that all that's being championed these days is the art rock or art punk side of things, shame all this praise doesn't make people come to the gigs. also maybe it's just about time they got a slice of the hype seeing as for the last two years it's been the punkier bands that have gotten the most attention and the more leftfield bands have been ignored. though i'm not sure if we're art rock or whatever, just cause you use a bit of reverb doesn't necessarily make you an art rock band. we're a pop band with loud guitars. and i'm not sure if the scene is that divided. most of the people i know go to gigs with the 'artier' bands and the more straightforward bands. we played the halloween gig purely to try and play to the kids who don't come to the gigs we normally play. i'd love it if all the punk kids started coming to gigs in drakes featuring bands like politik and clive ravensby but it doesn't happen and similarly i'd like to see the reverse, probably won't ever happen though. there are 4 types of crowd in aberdeen:

the punk kids

art rock crowd

indie crowd

metal crowd

they don't seem to mix all that often unless a band they like happens to be on a bill with bands that the other crowds like. and then there's the crowd that just go and see they're friends band every gig and shout at the other bands. to be honest they tend to also go to the indie gigs if they do venture out to gigs featuring bands other than their friends.

obviously that's all a horrible generalisation but i think it holds up.

masamune sound a bit like fugazi.

seems to me also that a lot of people seem to be saying that all that's being championed these days is the art rock or art punk side of things, shame all this praise doesn't make people come to the gigs. also maybe it's just about time they got a slice of the hype seeing as for the last two years it's been the punkier bands that have gotten the most attention and the more leftfield bands have been ignored. though i'm not sure if we're art rock or whatever, just cause you use a bit of reverb doesn't necessarily make you an art rock band. we're a pop band with loud guitars. and i'm not sure if the scene is that divided. most of the people i know go to gigs with the 'artier' bands and the more straightforward bands. we played the halloween gig purely to try and play to the kids who don't come to the gigs we normally play. i'd love it if all the punk kids started coming to gigs in drakes featuring bands like politik and clive ravensby but it doesn't happen and similarly i'd like to see the reverse, probably won't ever happen though. there are 4 types of crowd in aberdeen:

the punk kids

art rock crowd

indie crowd

metal crowd

they don't seem to mix all that often unless a band they like happens to be on a bill with bands that the other crowds like. and then there's the crowd that just go and see they're friends band every gig and shout at the other bands. to be honest they tend to also go to the indie gigs if they do venture out to gigs featuring bands other than their friends.

obviously that's all a horrible generalisation but i think it holds up.

I think you're gonna discover that a band like Clive Ravensby just isn't going to appeal to many people. The music isn't cohesive enough. The majority of people still like songs with the "(verse chorus)x2 end" type structure. I saw them at Sonic Deth Monkey and didn't enjoy it. Were Dedalus playing that night?