aberdeen-music

maybe I surf Aberdeen Music too much...

pete_inthehills

I only use work computers during worktime for work. It's my employer's time and spending the day skiving on internet fora is theft of time from them which is every bit as serious as theft of money. .

Employer are quite within their rights to block forums and personal use websites. It spoils it for other people who want to check things up at lunchtime when some users abuse their internet access at work.

I only use work computers during worktime for work. It's my employer's time and spending the day skiving on internet fora is theft of time from them which is every bit as serious as theft of money. .

Employer are quite within their rights to block forums and personal use websites. It spoils it for other people who want to check things up at lunchtime when some users abuse their internet access at work.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :down: :down: :down:

Square!

I reached a point today in the office where I had pissed about so much on the internet that I could think of nothing else to do but work! It was horrible but I caught up on all that stuff I should have done in the past week and made me feel like I deserved a payrise! I'm doing NOTHING tomorrow. :finger:

You're a better student than I was! Maybe something to do with you being genuinely interested in your studies but not in your job?

I grudge the work that I have to do, unable to make the correlation between the tasks at hand and the money that goes into my bank account at the end of the month. Terribly juvenile I know but I am accepting of this.

It would be very useful if everyone who is being blocked from viewing aberdeen-music could tell us the reasons why their access is being denied. Obviously we want this site to reach as many people as possible, and if we're getting blocked from college computers that's a serious worry.

Why?

Is it not obvious why they are being blocked?

Those computers were not put there so people can dick about online in forums and chat rooms. They are there believe it or not so people can do work o_O

Well, yeah obviously, but if there's any other reasons (adult/explicit material, illegal download links etc) then it might be handy to know about it in case this spreads to non-work environments like uni computer rooms and the like.

again tho uni computers were not put there so people could surf on forums and suchlike, they are there for educational purposes, and to be honest there isnt much you could learn on this site and if you did need it for those reasons im sure you could go ask and be allowed access.

They're also there for students who don't have web access at home. I'm not saying that people should be on this site while they're in a class.

no i know your not, but the point is myspace is banned yeh? As is bebo i would imagine, so what makes aberdeen music any different? Computer rooms at uni are there primarily so people can learn yes? Not mess around online.

Anyway you can get access to the net in a lot of places in town, if people are that desperate to post on here they will.

Colleges and Uni provide other things than learning though...

Sports, space for societies (often not at all educational), and AU just spent 8 mil on the Hub, which has a hairdresser and general relaxing facilities inside.

You could easily point out that students shouldn't be having their haircut when they should be learning.

Colleges and Uni provide other things than learning though...

Sports, space for societies (often not at all educational), and AU just spent 8 mil on the Hub, which has a hairdresser and general relaxing facilities inside.

You could easily point out that students shouldn't be having their haircut when they should be learning.

yes but they paid for those facilites for those reasons, im pretty sure they never paid for all these computers and internet connections for people to waste time on pointless web sites.

Again the point is if you want to use the net for recreational purposes then do it at your own expense and not at others.

Maybe things have changed since I was at uni. I spent most of my time on the computers downloading guitar tabs and surfing the predecessors to this site then. It would be a shame, given that computer labs are empty for the most part at night, if people couldn't look up this site for information and entertainment at the times when computer space isn't at a premium.

why should they be allowed to tho?

You wouldnt expect someone else to pay for you to use the phone for personal calls would you? I know its a different situation but similar pricipals apply.

Because they're paying thousands of pounds every year to be at university, and should be allowed to use the facilities available. Also, if they're studying music, or marketing, or business, or media studies, there is material on this site that would be useful to them in a curricular sense.

yes they pay money to be taught not to surf aberdeen music or myspace or anything else like that, the facilities are there to be used, for the right purpose, and as i said earlier if it was the case they needed this site for educational purposes then im sure they would be allowed access so long as they could prove it was for those reasons.

Christ, you're like a dog with a bone tonight. :)

All I'm saying is, there's no harm in the universities allowing access to this site, at least there shouldn't be unless there is material on the site that could prove to be troublesome for their IT and legal departments. The computers are already on, connected to the internet, and unless there's someone else who wants to use the computer for learning purposes there shouldn't be any objection to a user coming on here and doing a bit of surfing.

hey its 2am and im out of weed what else am i gonna do??? :D

To be honest i dont really care either way i think we both have valid points on this and its a case of agreeing to disagree.

Colleges are there to teach you, but not to allow you to browse a website

encouraging you to read instead of surf!

If you cant get something out of a book you suck at being a biological object which occupies time and space like meditating with them