aberdeen-music

Lost Passports (Courtesy of the Royal Mail)

Wax

Anyone ever lost a passport 7 days before they go on holiday? Sorry, I'll rephrase has the Royal Mail ever lost anyone's passport?

Not only did the postman put the wrong date last Monday (8th Oct?!), he'll also failed to record the ID number of the letter (Recorded Delivery), so it's untracable.

Spoke to at least 3 members of RM call centre/sorting office staff, who all seemed to have been trained to the same incompetent level to say the line "if you had the ID number then we could trace it". Well fucking done. You must have been top of your class.

Now we have 7 days to get a new passport and a new visa from the India High Commision. These processes normally take 2 months at least.

Anyone ever managed this feat, and if not anyone ever sued the Royal Mail for losses?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone ever lost a passport 7 days before they go on holiday? Sorry, I'll rephrase has the Royal Mail ever lost anyone's passport?

Not only did the postman put the wrong date last Monday (8th Oct?!), he'll also failed to record the ID number of the letter (Recorded Delivery), so it's untracable.

Spoke to at least 3 members of RM call centre/sorting office staff, who all seemed to have been trained to the same incompetent level to say the line "if you had the ID number then we could trace it". Well fucking done. You must have been top of your class.

Now we have 7 days to get a new passport and a new visa from the India High Commision. These processes normally take 2 months at least.

Anyone ever managed this feat, and if not anyone ever sued the Royal Mail for losses?

lots of driving

if its a british passport you can drive down to glasgow and get one the same day, have to book an appointment first

Yeah, we phoned the Passport Service but they said it could take 7 days since it's not a renewal but a new passport - you have to hand in your old passport for it to be a renewal. We have an appointment for Monday morning. The girl on the phone said it all depends on the examining officer and if he's in a good mood then the application might go through faster. Is that official policy is it? Why are there so many tossers in jobs like these?

The India High Commision is even worse. Their emergency phone number just gives opening times of their Edinburgh, London, etc. offices.

I can't believe the hassle involved with losing your passport. I wish some of these fucks were a bit closer than at the end of the phone line.

Imagine putting up with these calls everyday of your working life that as a result you don't even hide the fact you don't give a shit when someone's trying to explain how their holiday is facing ruin, as well as the money wasted.

And as for closing at 12.30pm - why even bother fucking opening?

I was waiting for the first sarcstic remark. I'll tell you what, why don't you try going through airport security with a tattoo of your passport and we'll all follow suit.

I feel for ya man, I really do. And I hope it gets sorted oot sooner rather than later.

I reckon the tattoo thing would work... Even if it was henna, could they say anything?

Yep, you can use a drivers licence as valid ID for domestic flights in the UK (e.g. Aberdeen to London) but not for any flight that goes abroad - you need a passport for that.

If it was sent recorded delivery and Royal Mail can't re-deliver it within a few days (it may even be two days - I can't recall) then the letter gets sent back to the originating address. So it shouldn't get lost - that's the point of recorded delivery. Not only that, but whomever sent the letter in the first place (the Passport office?) should also have the tracking ID for the letter - so you could maybe get it from them.

If you know which Royal Mail depot this letter is sitting at then I really can't see why you can't go to the depot itself, bring some proof of your name and address (e.g. drivers licence) and explain the situation and get them to hand it over.

Yep, you can use a drivers licence as valid ID for domestic flights in the UK (e.g. Aberdeen to London) but not for any flight that goes abroad - you need a passport for that.

Ah, it makes sense now. When I saw someone using the driver's licence, it was at Luton on a flight to Aberdeen.

Sorry, I didn't really contribute much to the situation at all.:p

Contact a solicitor ASAP.

I don't want to worry you but a lost passport is serious business. Someone may have stolen it. Passports are worth a lot of money on the black market depending on the country of issue. A British passport I'm told can change hands for 2 grand.

Fraudsters can use the passport to steal your identy and apply for credit cards, loans etc and the situation can get messy.

A pal of mine lost his and CID were round his house questioning him, implying he sold it and the onus of proof seemed to be on him to prove his innocence.

Try to get something in writing from whichever agency or organisation lost it.

Visit Queen Street Police Station and ask for the Nationality Office.

I lost mine after having to use it as ID to get money out the bank when I lost my bank card.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.

Christ it was in the evening express that a lady got on a plane with a cosco card, you may aswell give it a blast!

That was absolute bollocks, it was a flight within the Common Travel Area and all the Irish authorities require is some sort of photo ID - even a London bus pass is good enough for them - on intra-CTA flights. Ryanair's proceedures were at fault, but there's no set requirement for ID within any CTA flight. BA for example don't require any ID for domestic flights.

Don't even bother trying a driving licence, they won't accept it as there's no way immigration will accept it here, especially in conjunction with a boarding pass from India. It's unlikely they'll even let you leave the country with it.

As for the lost passport situation : I *think* the passport authorities say that it should be delivered by secure delivery. If you can find a reference to that on their website, then go see a solicitor as they might be able to force their hand. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that they advise that you don't book travel until you have your passport in hand, so you might be out of luck there :( It would probably be best to hope for the best with the examining officer, he/she might see sense and realise that they've been at fault and sort out a new one (or at least something valid for travel) for you.

Good luck.

BA for example don't require any ID for domestic flights.

Not strictly so.

If you paid by credit card & it is still valid, they will use that. However, if it is no longer valid or someone else paid (had one hell of a time when my US-citizen cousin decided to take an unplanned side-trip when she was here last year & tried to book a flight!), you may be asked for further ID. Here is the list from their website:

Acceptable forms of identification are:

UK Driving Licence.

Executive Club membership card.

E-ticket access card.

Passport / National ID card.

Company works card / ID.

Which of course dosen't get round the issue that none of that lot is atually legal ID in the UK anyway!

It is also worth remembering that Ryanair are notorious for insisting on passports only, even where it may well be illegal to do so. Easy Jet can be awkward as well but that seems to be more dependant on the attitudes on individual desks concerned. The current climate seems to let them get away with it whatever. :(