aberdeen-music

Wii

Skull Commander

According to Nintendo there won't be any problem with meeting demand as they actually have got their finger out (unlike Sony) and have made more than enough of them. I believe you can also buy it without a game for 149.

Aye there will be plenty for launch, but it launches on 8th Dec! In my eyes that is three or four deliveries before Christmas tops! I still think they will sell through.

There is no pre orders on the games yet, but give it a week or two and it should be a different story I hope....

There is quite a few nice features you can read about at www.wii.com, including weather and news channels, the 'Mii' channel which allows you to create your own characters or something, a photo edit channel and other stuff.

Over in the States it will be $250. So $250 = £135 approx.

Although £180 is still an excellent price for a next-gen console launch, I still don't understand why the fuck we have to pay £45 extra.

I'm so out of touch that the Gamecube's cutting edge to the likes of me. But then again, I am an avid reader of the great magazine that is Retro Gamer! N64 and Goldeneye RULE!

LORD SUMMERISLE'S HOME COMPUTER/CONSOLE TIMELINE:

YEAR - MODEL - INFO

1981 - Sinclair ZX81 16k - Black & White Screen, No sound

1982 - Sinclair Spectrum 48k - Bought in kit-form & soldered up

1986 - Sinclair Spectrum + - Upgraded the old Spectrum case!

1987 - Sinclair Spectrum 128+2 - Now we're talkin'

1989 - Atari STFM 512k - "Sensible Soccer" Rules!

1992 - Atari STE 4Mb - Cutting Edge!!

1995 - Nintendo SNES - Late starter, but "Mario Kart" rocks!

1997 - Nintendo 64 - I'm getting all misty-eyed now!

2002 - Nintendo Gamecube - Hardly touched it!

2002- - Various PCs etc.

How sad was that! That's me ruined another perfectly good thread! Sorry!

Although £180 is still an excellent price for a next-gen console launch

its not really next gen though is it?

one of the main requirments (imo) for any console hitherforth would be HD (not some fancy schmancy disc technology that there is no real need for, only advantage.... a trilogy of games on one disc....eg GTA).

and dont get me started on that controller.....

its not really next gen though is it?

one of the main requirments (imo) for any console hitherforth would be HD (not some fancy schmancy disc technology that there is no real need for' date=' only advantage.... a trilogy of games on one disc....eg GTA).

and dont get me started on that controller.....[/quote']

it's next gen in that it's heralding a new level of interaction with playing games and changing the way in which people think about gaming and the playing of games. but if next gen to you is just making everything a little shinier and more photo-realistic then i guess it's not next gen.

graphics don't mean anything if the games no fun.

it's next gen in that it's heralding a new level of interaction with playing games and changing the way in which people think about gaming and the playing of games. but if next gen to you is just making everything a little shinier and more photo-realistic then i guess it's not next gen.

graphics don't mean anything if the games no fun.

Exactly. Plus, why the fuck is HD considered to be needed? It's just the next step up in graphical quality. The Wii isn't next, it's new.

At E3, the opening sentances of the Nintendo conference were:

"You came to LA this week to peek into the future. But if all you want is next generation, you're in the wrong place. Because what you'll see from Nintendo is not just 'next'. Instead, it's what's absolutely new. What we're unveiling is the next leap in gaming; to a place where playing is no longer just about looks, it's about the feel. Where it's no longer confined to just the few - it's about everyone. And most of all, the next leap is not about what you see, because what you see is not always what you get. The next leap is about playing, because playing is believing."

A lot of gamers (especially a lot over here) are losing their touch when it comes to games, and only buying what is better graphically, with gameplay suffering badly. Otherwise, shit like FarCry (which has been done a million times before) wouldn't have gotten popular, but it was due to it's huge draw distance. I'd rather play an outdated looking game than a new one anyday, unless it has it's own unique experience. Deus Ex and Anachronox for example were pretty outdated in terms of the technology that was being developed at the time, but fuck me, they are two of the most amazing games I have ever played, not looked at.