aberdeen-music

A strange suggestion...

Hog

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a cover means very little unless you know the original and there are not that many good bands that i would imagine wanting people to hear them play a song that doesn't necessarily suit their style. /x

It's funny, not that long ago (and it will pick up again soon I'm sure) the charts were fucking full of crap covers (or looped samples) of songs which the consuming public had no idea about who the original artists were, and in most cases thought the original was the crap cover!!

Guest Mr Blastcap

i wish project all the best, would it be possible to get Jerry Jablonski involved- that would really get me to come along to a gig or buy a cd. totally. peace out.

get sting as well, run a bit in the Pand J, yay!

an' jools holland!

i wish project all the best' date=' would it be possible to get Jerry Jablonski involved- that would really get me to come along to a gig or buy a cd. totally. peace out.

get sting as well, run a bit in the Pand J, yay!

an' jools holland![/quote']

I dunno about the rest but your mum said something about covering me......(j/k) :D

A 'project', either live or recorded is not going to work. What I was referring to was a general point that bands should for their own benefit be able to take a song that's not theirs and put their own spin on it. Challenge yourselves by picking someone elses song that is unlike anything you would ever write yourselves, and see what you can do with it. Surely that can only broaden your own horizons and improve your band? Maybe also for the other band who gets to hear a whole new take on their creation?

I just think it would be a nice thing to see at a gig now and again.

dreadful

Yeah, i learnt all my comebacks from you so who's got all the duff material eh????

:p

And dinna play Aberdeen you cunt, its not like any of us actually want to see your band because we liked TFOBK. I feel like i'm being deprived of good music because you're a token dundonian now :(

Guest DustyDeviada

OK, how about a different spin on things, something I'd been thinking about for a while, and along the same lines as the Elvis thing.

How about an aberdeen-music.com benefit gig in the form of "Stars in Their Eyes"?

So not just a tribute to one particular artist, but each band chooses one artist to cover. ie "Tonight Matthew, Baby Karma are going to be Dire Straits"*

Opinions on a Stars in Their Eyes night?

*The example of Dire Straits is for illustrative purposes only, I would need to run that past them.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

How about an aberdeen-music.com benefit gig in the form of "Stars in Their Eyes"?

Opinions on a Stars in Their Eyes night?

An unspeakably nauseating concept. Put one on if you feel you must, but it's only fair to warn you that I'll be lurking outside the venue with a can of petrol and a Swan Vesta or two.

You're joking, surely?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'd do it if I could drink a bottle of bleach beforehand resulting in myself being physically sick all over the venue and causing everyone to have to go home early. On a side note I may also die as a result of this.

Petrol, matches and now add bleach to the equation. It'll get nasty.

Wy would Filthpact cover a Micklemass song? they're probably shit' date=' and we've never heard them.[/quote']

You couldn't do it anyway! I'm not being defensive...it's just that Mickel Mass is non-repetitive, totally un-song improvising.

Covering Kitchen Cynics would be easy, though, as it's very structured and simple:up: (you'd still hate it though!)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
if I was going to cover a local artist' date=' it'd be annie lenox.[/quote']

Whatever floats your boat. Not a fan of Doric short-hairs, personally.