aberdeen-music

A strange suggestion...

Hog

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. i would hate to be a part of a gash thread that was started by hog talkign about shitty scene gigs (which are more than often crap rather than "good fun"

3. the band that i play in is based in dundee and have no intentions of playing crappy aberdeen gigs

Someone seems to be assuming that he'd be part of this ;)

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd reckon Baby Karma would be up for it for a laugh' date='

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Yip, so what's the plan, a 20 minute set or something with one or two "local" covers thrown in?

I know from bitter experience of the 80s gig that if you try to make bands learn more than one new song loads will say they are up for it and then drop out when they realise that they have some work to do.

i must say, i'ma positive kinda guy but this isn't one of the better ideas i've seen appear on here. you have to remember that when you do a cover, more often than not you're relying on people having heard it to enjoy the fact your covering it or marvel at your unique take on it. with local band covers, it's an in-joke and only those in the other bands watching you are likely to get it. to everyone else, it'll just be another song and might well get a response of 'not bad but doesn't really suit their style.'

if it's fun between friends at a party that's one thing, but when you open it up to the public, it's another story. then again, if it's a couple of covers in a set and it's for a good cause - why not!

/x

Guest DustyDeviada
i must say' date=' i'ma positive kinda guy but this isn't one of the better ideas i've seen appear on here. you have to remember that when you do a cover, more often than not you're relying on people having heard it to enjoy the fact your covering it or marvel at your unique take on it. with local band covers, it's an in-joke and only those in the other bands watching you are likely to get it. to everyone else, it'll just be another song and might well get a response of 'not bad but doesn't really suit their style.'

if it's fun between friends at a party that's one thing, but when you open it up to the public, it's another story. then again, if it's a couple of covers in a set and it's for a good cause - why not!

/x[/quote']

Good points. I guess we could make sure all the originals that people were going to cover were online first so that people definitley knew them.

i must say' date=' i'ma positive kinda guy but this isn't one of the better ideas i've seen appear on here. you have to remember that when you do a cover, more often than not you're relying on people having heard it to enjoy the fact your covering it or marvel at your unique take on it. with local band covers, it's an in-joke and only those in the other bands watching you are likely to get it. to everyone else, it'll just be another song and might well get a response of 'not bad but doesn't really suit their style.'

/x[/quote']

I just thought it would be strange hearing bands play songs that are from very different genres. Im not arranging a gig, saying it should happen etc etc. It would maybe sound silly in a funny haha way, or maybe not, who knows?:up:

The thread is slightly tongue in cheek.

1. you wouldnt know the meaning of the word interesting. your posts are the human equivalent of being pissed on with hot acid

2. i would hate to be a part of a gash thread that was started by hog talkign about shitty scene gigs (which are more than often crap rather than "good fun"

3. the band that i play in is based in dundee and have no intentions of playing crappy aberdeen gigs

if you have any queries' date=' drop me a pm

xxx[/quote']

1) My posts may not be to everyones interest or amusement but are always relevant, unlike yours which seem to be the butt of all arguments.

2) Why post in the thread if it does not interest you, with the sole intention of winding up hog and bringing yet another negative spin to things.

3) Stop moaning about ideas that are up here if you don't intend to ever partake in them

argument finished and done with yeah? :up:

again tho, who's gonna buy it apart from the bands on it and those being covered? a cover means very little unless you know the original and there are not that many good bands that i would imagine wanting people to hear them play a song that doesn't necessarily suit their style. it's not a great intro to a band when you hear them playing a song that doesn't do them justice.

/x

True' date=' that's kinda a good idea.

as mentioned though... even as a charity cd, I can't see the market for people buying it being huge unless it was like a 2 disc thing with original tracks on one disc and a covers cd as the second bonus disc. I recall buying the MeFM benefit CD many a moon ago and it was actually good.[/quote']

Yeah, that sounds right. A double disc with a bonus covers disc. You would at least get an accurate representation of the bands original material on the first disc and the covers disc could just be for craps and laughs.