aberdeen-music

Favourite Neil Young album?

kirkt

With Neil Young releasing his new album (his best since Ragged Glory so Uncut magazine says...I thought Sleeps with Angels was better than Ragged Glory personally though) thought I'd see what people thought was the best Neil Young album...

My personal favourite is After the Goldrush.

Guest bluesxman

I don't own them all and haven't heard them all so can't give an expert opinion, but of the ones I have I really like the Dead Man soundtrack, great atmospheric electric guitar instrumentals, with Crazy Horse Rust Never Sleeps and Zuma are good, and solo Harvest, After The Goldrush and On The Beach. I can never choose one on these things, sorry. Oh, and I love the version of like A Hurricane on Unplugged, performed with a pump organ....

My favourite's "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere". Sure' date=' it's a bit ragged in places, but it's got a unique charm that comes from Neil starting to find his voice and revelling in the new freedoms being a solo artist brings. Plus the original line-up of Crazy Horse sounds brilliant.[/quote']

Two of Neil Youngs best songs are on it too...Cowgirl in the sand and Cinamon Girl. It's prob my 2nd favourite.

• 4 months later...

Neil Young

difficult to pick best one... depends on mood... I'm enjoying Ragged Glory at the moment. Zuma is always good. Rust Never Sleeps... Prarie Wind is just fantastic ... Living with War is OK not his best but I enjoy the sentiment in it.

The thing with Neil Young is he has such a massive amount of material and most of it is superb, you always seem to find something new ... I'm still adding to my collection...

He must be due a new release soon its been ages since Living with War came out !!

The man is a genius...

Cheers

Stuart

Probably "Tonights the night" but I love "Ragged Glory" also - too many to mention really...

Also the next Vocoustics @ The Tunnels on Sunday 12th November is Neil Youngs 61st birthday so Im asking acts to play a few Young covers - A Young Appreciation night if you will! :up:

The Fortunate Sons and Flaming Katy (acoustic) confirmed.

PM me if anyone wants to jump on the bill to play both original and Young material.

I can't say I know all the albums intimately but I love "Harvest"......and erm........"Greatest Hits" :O

That's the only 2 that I own but have been subjected (in a nice way) over the years to most of his stuff by the Neil Young Fanatics I have found myself surrounded by. Had a live video with Crazy Horse called "Weld" I think, it was quality too :up:

Not too sure about the robotic/electronic version of "Transformer Man".

I think I'll have to get stuck into the albums so will make a list from this thread.....