aberdeen-music

What Grinds your Gears?

Benji

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Card shops. I know fathers day is coming up but i'd still like to be able to buy other cards. Every year its the same, they have stacks of the fathers days ones and hardly any birthday ones, all the good insulting ones aren't there, its just the bland soppy stuff. Annoyingly, my Dad and two of my brothers have birthdays next week and are there any good ones to buy?

The same thing happens with the other brother, his birthday is at easter.

And before anyone suggests buying them earlier, pre-special card time, i did this once and couldn't remember where i put them, which meant i had to get more.

Card shops. I know fathers day is coming up but i'd still like to be able to buy other cards. Every year its the same' date=' they have stacks of the fathers days ones and hardly any birthday ones, all the good insulting ones aren't there, its just the bland soppy stuff. Annoyingly, my Dad and two of my brothers have birthdays next week and are there any good ones to buy?

The same thing happens with the other brother, his birthday is at easter.

And before anyone suggests buying them earlier, pre-special card time, i did this once and couldn't remember where i put them, which meant i had to get more.[/quote']

I just hate card shops in general - money grabbing bastards make up 'special' days just to sell more cards Grrrr

My birthday is June 17th (always near fathers day) my box full of past birthday cards is proof of what you just said.

Why not try buying an infants card and crudely changing the age? I love getting cards like that' date=' it means you get good badges with spongebob, spiderman etc on them![/quote']

Good idea, i think my Dad would love a card with a badge :up:

what grinds my gears is "greatist guitarist list"

when people get mixed between the greatist guitarist and good song writers.

eg kurt kobain good at songs but a shite guitart but he beats someone that is super tech in a poll like above

That guitarist list that you're referring to was gantin'

In fact' date=' "100 Greatest.... anything" really Grinds Ma Gears, min. There's rarely a week goes by without one meaningless list on the telly.

And they're always PISH !!! - "voted for by you, the viewers"

If watching the telly has taught us anything, it's don't let Joe Public near a camera, microphone or voting button - Joe Public knows fuck-all about anything...

"100 Scariest Moments" - they let Joe Public decide what that was going to be on the list and some of the "terrifying" moments were...

[list']

[*]The Singing Ringing Tree (a two-bob East European production)

[*]Eastenders - with Trevor "where's ma tea Wee Mo?" the typical alchoholic, wife-beating Scot getting hit with a steam iron.

[*]A Smirnoff Ice advert.

[*]A Prodigy Video.

[*]Some shite from Brookside (2nd worst. programme. ever.) about a patio and a murder

[*]A couple of public information films about drowning and fallout.

[*]That ludicrious Corrie episode with Old Chinless Gail's mudering husband

Yep, "voted for by you, schemie, moronic tubs of lard who never leave the house".

DZL

Guest bluesxman
That guitarist list that you're referring to was gantin'

In fact' date=' "100 Greatest.... anything" really Grinds Ma Gears, min. There's rarely a week goes by without one meaningless list on the telly.

And they're always PISH !!! - "voted for by you, the viewers"

If watching the telly has taught us anything, it's don't let Joe Public near a camera, microphone or voting button - Joe Public knows fuck-all about anything...

"100 Scariest Moments" - they let Joe Public decide what that was going to be on the list and some of the "terrifying" moments were...

[list']

[*]The Singing Ringing Tree (a two-bob East European production)

[*]Eastenders - with Trevor "where's ma tea Wee Mo?" the typical alchoholic, wife-beating Scot getting hit with a steam iron.

[*]A Smirnoff Ice advert.

[*]A Prodigy Video.

[*]Some shite from Brookside (2nd worst. programme. ever.) about a patio and a murder

[*]A couple of public information films about drowning and fallout.

[*]That ludicrious Corrie episode with Old Chinless Gail's mudering husband

Yep, "voted for by you, schemie, moronic tubs of lard who never leave the house".

DZL

There was a great survey result in The Scum today. Scarlett Johanssen beat Victoria Beckham in a best dressed woman poll. The poll was done on Yahoo with a survey population response of....1000!!! Seriously, what's the point in that in the first place, never mind sticking the result in a newspaper-comic-thing. On the upside there was a pic of Scarlett alongside.

Guest five years
There was a great survey result in The Scum today. Scarlett Johanssen beat Victoria Beckham in a best dressed woman poll. The poll was done on Yahoo with a survey population response of....1000!!! Seriously' date=' what's the point in that in the first place, never mind sticking the result in a newspaper-comic-thing. On the upside there was a pic of Scarlett alongside.[/quote']

on the downside, she's minging.

Guest DustyDeviada
There was a great survey result in The Scum today. Scarlett Johanssen beat Victoria Beckham in a best dressed woman poll. The poll was done on Yahoo with a survey population response of....1000!!! Seriously' date=' what's the point in that in the first place, never mind sticking the result in a newspaper-comic-thing. On the upside there was a pic of Scarlett alongside.[/quote']

Just about every survey you see is based on 1,000 responses. That poll on the telly showing that the Tories are up 2% and Labour are down 4% or whatever and this is going to result in Labour losing 50 seats at the next election blah blah blah? All done on the basis of 1000 responses, albeit chucked through loads of statistical formulae first.

How you can ever hope to work out the opinion of 60 million people from a sample of 1000 people is beyone me. Also, its biased in favour of the views of the people who actually take the time to stop and speak to the wifie in the street with a clipboard. So not normal people then.

Guest bluesxman
Just about every survey you see is based on 1' date='000 responses. That poll on the telly showing that the Tories are up 2% and Labour are down 4% or whatever and this is going to result in Labour losing 50 seats at the next election blah blah blah? All done on the basis of 1000 responses, albeit chucked through loads of statistical formulae first.

How you can ever hope to work out the opinion of 60 million people from a sample of 1000 people is beyone me. Also, its biased in favour of the views of the people who actually take the time to stop and speak to the wifie in the street with a clipboard. So not normal people then.[/quote']

Really? I'd never paid much attention before. I love when you have to run a gauntlet of clipboard wielders on Union Street. They have just seen you say 'no' to their colleague 2 yards away, do they think I'll have changed my mind in the 2 steps since?

Guest five years
Mrs Beckham is' date=' indeed, a minger of the highest order.

Scarlett is a "wee honey" and extremely talented - unlike "Posh" who can't sing, can't act "Spiceworld anyone?", but can certainly spend like f***[/quote']

johannsen talented? fucking awful in the island...only film i can think of that i've seen her in..

johannsen talented? fucking awful in the island...only film i can think of that i've seen her in..

I would agree with that, but the movie was complete gash and she had to work with Ewan McGregor who's utter shite anyway.

She's been outstanding in anything else I've seen her in - particularly "Lost In Translation".

Guest five years
I would agree with that' date=' but the movie was complete gash and she had to work with Ewan McGregor who's utter shite anyway.

She's been outstanding in anything else I've seen her in - particularly "Lost In Translation".[/quote']

as i say, only film i've seen is the island.

Guest DustyDeviada
as i say' date=' only film i've seen is the island.[/quote']

Man, if I'd only seen one film, that wouldn't be it.

You should see Star Wars as well, it's ace. ;)

Man' date=' if I'd only seen one film, that wouldn't be it.

You should see Star Wars as well, it's ace. ;)[/quote']

Hmmm, each to his/her own - I though The Island was lame - Minority Report was better (IMHO).

Star Wars - ace! Beaten only by LOTR Trilogy (again, IMHO)

The last three SW's were a bit dodgy, but Natalie Portman is worth the price of the DVDs.

A big round bed, Natalie, Scarlett and me...STOP IT!!!...bad man!!!!