aberdeen-music

Lightning bolt...

Guest MDP

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure... if someone did go to the trouble of hoaxing the whole thing, it must have taken a lot of work. There's entire essays with shitloads of research into the apparent 'origins' of noise music, which are quite frankly, unlikely.

The merch on the cafe press site is a work of art though. Gonna have to get hold of one of those right groovy hats :up:

Nah that site is bull man....come on!!

but anyway...Lightning Bolt...I feel are two guys escaping a "normal life" to travel around the world just fucking about on the drum and bass. While I would normally encourage this, I don't feel they offer anything to anyone expect five minutes of agression which could be easier found. There are a lot of people who detest people who avoid working on this website so I find it strange people would support this band....basiically...everyone who attented the gig has the potential to do the exact same, but the band have this internet meme about them which insures packed gigs all imitating the videos the audience have spend so long analysing.....it would have been cool if the venue told these guys "fuck off..play on the stage like everyone else" and the crowd just sat up the back like they do for most local gigs, I think you would have seen a very different band playing, with strong ADHD overtones riniging true.... "come on guys.....why aren#t you acting out our fantasy!!! you fucking lame audience!!".... I;ve seen it before with American bands who were shit but though they deserved the resepect of the British audience simply because they were American. I find it very strange than I have seen many bands slightly similar in style to these guys play Aberdeen over thse course of the years ( I have attended a W I D E diversity of gigs!!!) and no one was interested in seeing the unknown bands (despite being arguable better!!!!!!) when the bands which have the meme thing going (internet phenomenon for all you n00b5) everyone packs out the venue, then returns to their normal life the day after which is so out of balance with what they have just experienced .....rendering it completely pointless.....

I personally like to leave gigs inspired....I avoided the lightning bolt gig for this particular reason as I knew it meant nothing really......stupid guy witha stupid mask....so what...everyone at that gig could make that incoherent racket...hence I reckon you insult your own intelliegence by giving them time.......they didn't have to get up the next morning and go to work.....they got up....ate at someone else's expense...travelled at someone else's expense....had a blast...just a jam basically.....and everyon there paid for their laugh...then goes home to complain about free loaders who they pay for while oblivious to the pathetic "artistes" they just witnessed....

Seriously...stand outside captain toms most night and you can heara similar noise.....do your stupid scripted dance to that.....

but anyway...Lightning Bolt...I feel are two guys escaping a "normal life" to travel around the world just fucking about on the drum and bass. While I would normally encourage this' date=' I don't feel they offer anything to anyone expect five minutes of agression which could be easier found. There are a lot of people who detest people who avoid working on this website so I find it strange people would support this band....basiically...everyone who attented the gig has the potential to do the exact same, but the band have this internet meme about them which insures packed gigs all imitating the videos the audience have spend so long analysing.....it would have been cool if the venue told these guys "fuck off..play on the stage like everyone else" and the crowd just sat up the back like they do for most local gigs, I think you would have seen a very different band playing, with strong ADHD overtones riniging true.... "come on guys.....why aren#t you acting out our fantasy!!! you fucking lame audience!!".... I;ve seen it before with American bands who were shit but though they deserved the resepect of the British audience simply because they were American. I find it very strange than I have seen many bands slightly similar in style to these guys play Aberdeen over thse course of the years ( I have attended a W I D E diversity of gigs!!!) and no one was interested in seeing the unknown bands (despite being arguable better!!!!!!) when the bands which have the meme thing going (internet phenomenon for all you n00b5) everyone packs out the venue, then returns to their normal life the day after which is so out of balance with what they have just experienced .....rendering it completely pointless.....

I personally like to leave gigs inspired....I avoided the lightning bolt gig for this particular reason as I knew it meant nothing really......stupid guy witha stupid mask....so what...everyone at that gig could make that incoherent racket...hence I reckon you insult your own intelliegence by giving them time.......they didn't have to get up the next morning and go to work.....they got up....ate at someone else's expense...travelled at someone else's expense....had a blast...just a jam basically.....and everyon there paid for their laugh...then goes home to complain about free loaders who they pay for while oblivious to the pathetic "artistes" they just witnessed....

Seriously...stand outside captain toms most night and you can heara similar noise.....do your stupid scripted dance to that.....[/quote']

how can you talk at such length about a gig you didn't go to?

really don't overanalyse it, they make an awesome noise and work damn hard. it's not a jam, they music lightning bolt play is complicated and structured. i didn't see anyone doing a 'scripted' dance either. lighning bolt put their fucking souls on display at that gig and played every note like they fucking meant it, you're just sitting behind a computer talking out your arse.

please note, i'm not even a big fan of lightning bolt but i dislike contrary know it alls.

but anyway...Lightning Bolt...I feel are two guys escaping a "normal life" to travel around the world just fucking about on the drum and bass. While I would normally encourage this' date=' I don't feel they offer anything to anyone expect five minutes of agression which could be easier found. There are a lot of people who detest people who avoid working on this website so I find it strange people would support this band....basiically...everyone who attented the gig has the potential to do the exact same, but the band have this internet meme about them which insures packed gigs all imitating the videos the audience have spend so long analysing.....it would have been cool if the venue told these guys "fuck off..play on the stage like everyone else" and the crowd just sat up the back like they do for most local gigs, I think you would have seen a very different band playing, with strong ADHD overtones riniging true.... "come on guys.....why aren#t you acting out our fantasy!!! you fucking lame audience!!".... I;ve seen it before with American bands who were shit but though they deserved the resepect of the British audience simply because they were American. I find it very strange than I have seen many bands slightly similar in style to these guys play Aberdeen over thse course of the years ( I have attended a W I D E diversity of gigs!!!) and no one was interested in seeing the unknown bands (despite being arguable better!!!!!!) when the bands which have the meme thing going (internet phenomenon for all you n00b5) everyone packs out the venue, then returns to their normal life the day after which is so out of balance with what they have just experienced .....rendering it completely pointless.....

Seriously...stand outside captain toms most night and you can heara similar noise.....do your stupid scripted dance to that.....[/quote']

wrong side of bed?

bummer for you if every gig you attend must involve some kind of of spiritual enlightenment - some of us just like to go and enjoy ourselves. i'm probably one of the gig goers that annoy you, in that i'm no noise aficionado but i went anyway because i'd heard a bit of their stuff, liked it and had learned of their live reputation. guess what? i had a ball. might even attend other, "local" gigs in the same vein now.

i don't think you've a leg to stand on, arguing that the music is an "incoherent racket". as i said, i wasn't particularly well versed in lightning bolt's stuff but there were a few songs i recognised quite easily... by the same logic, you could call any musician or artist a free loader just because you don't appreciate the noise they make.

Guest Phantomsmasher

Christ, I'd love to be able to jam out stuff like that just out of nowhere...

Add one more miserable stipey/rune clone to the pile, or even perhaps, a mother against noise. :D

:laughing:

glad you got that off of your chest

if you could, please name 5 gigs which you attended in aberdeen over the years that are in a slightly similar style??

That's , more or less, the same argument we get every year from the tabloid press around the time of the Turner Prize. Its a well structured point but pointless and funny! Folk like this would have been shouting 'WITCH, WITCH, BURN THE WITCH' becuase some lass learned to juggle 5 balls in stead of 3! Your funny

:up:

Guest bluesxman

I'm sure anyone with an interest in playing drums would say that Lightning Bolt's drumming is not the work of someone just messing about, it's pretty incredible stuff especially over the course of a whole set. And not that I know much about playing bass but it certainly strikes me as a case of ditto for that.

I went along because sinky had told me they were amazing to hear and see, and , he was right...

just because someone doesn't undestand what they are looking at, they shouldn't think that everyone else should think the same!

If mr 72 was there, he should have left if he didn't like it!

I thought it was a great gig, but thought they played for too long, and was slightly glad that the PA died !

Scotch egg had the right length of set...a fantastic loud night.

I don't know Lightning Bolt, but i reckon anyone who completely disregards everything that this guy is saying is being ignorant. He's speaking a certain amount of truth as far as i am concerned. Allthough complaining about bands being "freeloaders" is nonsense. I'm just disgusted that there are people who come away from gigs and just talk about the sheer volume of the music and the fact that they never knew drums could be played in such a way. I've just got to assume that either there is something severely lacking in their music or that the people going are just very easily pleased. How can people just be so in love with a sound or style!?!?

this is hilarious! hmm think i'll copy this and send it on to the two Brians actually...im sure they'll enjoy it, have a right laugh!! loadsa cracking assumptions there on what they're like personally too...nice! :up:

sharon

I don't know Lightning Bolt' date=' but i reckon anyone who completely disregards everything that this guy is saying is being ignorant. He's speaking a certain amount of truth as far as i am concerned. Allthough complaining about bands being "freeloaders" is nonsense. I'm just disgusted that there are people who come away from gigs and just talk about the sheer volume of the music and the fact that they never knew drums could be played in such a way. I've just got to assume that either there is something severely lacking in their music or that the people going are just very easily pleased. How can people just be so in love with a sound or style!?!?[/quote']

how can you say he's speaking a fair amount of truth if you weren't even at the gig either?

how can you say he's speaking a fair amount of truth if you weren't even at the gig either?

:laughing:

This is true.

Personally speaking, to believe Lightning Bolt is to see them live. If you haven't seen them live, then you can't validly judge them. The recordings (although pretty good) don't do the band justice at all compared to them performing.

your a fucking spastic.

Oh for fu...Admittedly "a fair amount of truth" might be an exaggeration but the following bits of text in bold do not require one to have attended the Lightning Bolt gig in order to agree with them.

but anyway...Lightning Bolt...I feel are two guys escaping a "normal life" to travel around the world just fucking about on the drum and bass. While I would normally encourage this' date=' [b']I don't feel they offer anything to anyone expect five minutes of agression which could be easier found. There are a lot of people who detest people who avoid working on this website so I find it strange people would support this band....basiically...everyone who attented the gig has the potential to do the exact same, but the band have this internet meme about them which insures packed gigs all imitating the videos the audience have spend so long analysing.....it would have been cool if the venue told these guys "fuck off..play on the stage like everyone else" and the crowd just sat up the back like they do for most local gigs, I think you would have seen a very different band playing, with strong ADHD overtones riniging true.... "come on guys.....why aren#t you acting out our fantasy!!! you fucking lame audience!!".... I;ve seen it before with American bands who were shit but though they deserved the resepect of the British audience simply because they were American. I find it very strange than I have seen many bands slightly similar in style to these guys play Aberdeen over thse course of the years ( I have attended a W I D E diversity of gigs!!!) and no one was interested in seeing the unknown bands (despite being arguable better!!!!!!) when the bands which have the meme thing going (internet phenomenon for all you n00b5) everyone packs out the venue, then returns to their normal life the day after which is so out of balance with what they have just experienced .....rendering it completely pointless.....

And although i don't think it should be expected that every gig should leave you feeling profoundly inspired, i do applaud his hunger for something beyond just being sonically blown away.

Oh for fu...Admittedly "a fair amount of truth" might be an exaggeration but the following bits of text in bold do not require one to have attended the Lightning Bolt gig in order to agree with them.

And although i don't think it should be expected that every gig should leave you feeling profoundly inspired' date=' i do applaud his hunger for something beyond just being sonically blown away.[/quote']

different strokes and all that...